Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Function of switches

Just purchased a 2008 flagstaff travel trailer and cannot find out any info on some of the switches. Need to know what the four under the kitchen cabinet controls and the one on the wall beside the dining room table before you get to the bunk beds. Thanks so much for any assistance anyone can give me.
Lances home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lances home View Post
Just purchased a 2008 flagstaff travel trailer and cannot find out any info on some of the switches. Need to know what the four under the kitchen cabinet controls and the one on the wall beside the dining room table before you get to the bunk beds. Thanks so much for any assistance anyone can give me.
Howdy and welcome to the forums.

It might help if you can state what specific model Flagstaff you own, so others with that particular model can offer their advice for you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most frequently the switches are for lights. As far as the interior, turn on all the overhead lights at the fixtures and then operate the switches to find out which controls what. Probably one of them are for the porch light outside.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Model

I believe the model is 831QBSS. It is parked someplace else right now but I will confirm the model tomorrow. When I turned on the switches I did not see anything new turn on or off but it was snowing and too cold to ck much yesterday!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Team

pics are usually helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

I will take pics tomorrow when I am back at the trailer and post them. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. They are very much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

I do wonder why people are afraid to pull into a FR dealer and ask their questions. If you tell them you just bought your trailer they will help. Also go to the FR website and get a lot of downloads.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Most frequently the switches are for lights. As far as the interior, turn on all the overhead lights at the fixtures and then operate the switches to find out which controls what. Probably one of them are for the porch light outside.

Dave
And do this at night when its dark do you can see the lights. I had a switch in my bed room and kitchen of my wildcat that I didn't know why. Turned out they each operated a string of ambient "mood" lights that were not visible during the daytime.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Background

We purchased this camper through a salvage dealer in PA last Friday and on the way back to KY, we broke down and sat in freezing temps for 4 hrs until someone stopped to assist us. It was another 3 hrs before family arrived to tow the truck and camper back home. We made it safely home at 2 am on Saturday morning. Later that afternoon we started going through the camper and had the questions about the switches. There is no FR dealer located close to our rural area. I read through the owners manual and went to the FR website before posting my question on this Forum. I was hoping someone who had one could easily solve this mystery for me.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #10

We will check the lights when it is dark to see what the switches may operate. When we checked on Saturday, nothing was happening for all of them but we will keep trying. It was hard to do much with 6 inches of snow on the ground and arctic temps here in northern KY. We appreciate those who have offered advise on this subject. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Director, FROG

Send an e-mail to Stephanie Richardson at the Rockwood / Flagstaff division, srichardson@forestriverinc.com. Include the last seven digits of your VIN, and she might be able to have someone help you.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #12

Thanks so much for that contact info. I will contact her.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkeyBob View Post
I do wonder why people are afraid to pull into a FR dealer and ask their questions. If you tell them you just bought your trailer they will help. Also go to the FR website and get a lot of downloads.
first, there's nothing on FR's website that can help with the OP's questions.
there's not even anything in the owner's manual that would be helpful for him.
second, some FR dealers are clueless or won't even help you if you didn't buy from them. you'd be surprised how many RV dealers are not helpful, only if you buy from them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

Thanks bikendan. I did all I knew before posting my question but like you said neither the Owner's Manual nor the website were helpful with my question. Thanks to all those who have offered friendly comments and suggestions.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 AM   #15
Site Team

I did a member search and found a few members who have the exact same year and model trailer you have. I sent them a PM asking if they could help you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #16

The first three under cabinet switches operate the step light, orange outside light, and outside large light on the door side, but not necessarily in that order. The fourth switch under the cabinet should operate the first ceiling light as you walk in, but the toggle switch on the fixture itself must be turned on. The switch by the dinette operates the outside large light above the hookups. I haven't been on the forum in awhile, but I'll try to keep up if you have other questions. Oh, and welcome to the forum. There's a ton if information on here from experienced folks.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlagGang6 View Post
The first three under cabinet switches operate the step light, orange outside light, and outside large light on the door side, but not necessarily in that order. The fourth switch under the cabinet should operate the first ceiling light as you walk in, but the toggle switch on the fixture itself must be turned on. The switch by the dinette operates the outside large light above the hookups. I haven't been on the forum in awhile, but I'll try to keep up if you have other questions. Oh, and welcome to the forum. There's a ton if information on here from experienced folks.
Thank You for responding and volunteering. I'm sure your knowledge and experience will help the OP tremendously.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlagGang6 View Post
Thank you so very much for this info. Guess I should have had someone stand outside while I flipped the switches! ha. No one would volunteer to go out that day though with the arctic temps, 6 inches of snow, and fierce winds!

I hope I can be a contributing responder in the future once I learn all the ends and outs of my "home away from home".
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lances home View Post
I hope I can be a contributing responder in the future once I learn all the ends and outs of my "home away from home".
That's what makes it work. Glad you got your answer.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #20

No problem. You have no idea how long it took us to figure out the switch by the dinette. We kept thinking it was another pump switch since it was close to the pump. Anytime you run across something, I'll do my best to help. Unfortunately we haven't camped since last August, so I've not done well keeping up with the forum. A spring break trip is planned so I'm sure I'll be hanging around here more.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote