Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
My mom used a torpedo level in their '63 Airstream Globe Trotter for 15 years. She would check the level and call out exactly what thickness block to pull up on. Then we'd crank at the hitch until she yelled 'whoa' and we were in bed within 10 minutes.
So as a sort of tribute to my mom, my wife is learning the same system. She was sooo proud when she called the block on our last trip and nailed it - first try. We drank to that!
We could use all kinds of technology to make it easier, but this is really fun for us. Mom would be so proud.
That story is AWESOME!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #42

And then after you finally get the hang of getting the rig really level, you have to figure out how much to setup out of level to be level when you put slides out! And your main sitting is in one slide and that in turn lowers that side after a day by an inch. The things we learn along this great camping journey! Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #43

I "calibrated" all of our stick-on levels by using the stovetop as a reference surface.

Got a Levelmate Pro last year, it works wonderfully except the Bluetooth signal is weak (we have aluminum siding on our camper).

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #44

“Close enough” is sufficient.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you have internal doors open them up and see if they stay where you open them up to. If it feels level to you that should be good to go.
Yes, this is the ultimate test.

Also note that the frame is flexible. Never try to get the trailer wheels off the ground; The rear stabilizers will fail long before that happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Shots 038.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	252634  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
X2. And get a Level Mate. It makes leveling easier.

https://www.amazon.com/LogicBlue-Tec.../dp/B083ZMZPR8
The issue is you need to be level to install and use this. Didn't answer the question.
trailtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #47

Use a marble

I put a marble on the counter top and if it rolls off, I re-level.

Just kidding!
1983 Wife
koribustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I like this brand of level... they are graduated to tell you how many inches you are out of level, giving you an idea how many boards to put under the wheels... I stick mine on with the provided tape, then outline them with caulk to hold them firmly on the front side of the trailer.
X2 for these bubble levels.

I used a 4 foot level on the main floor to level my trailer forward and aft as well as side to side in the driveway. Then permanently screwed the levels to the frame on the front driver's side.

When I back into a site I can immediately determine how many 2x12s in need to pull up on and which side they are needed. Then raise or lower the tongue jack so it is slightly high so water will run off towards the back of the trailer.

The wife gets a little upset if the eggs or pancakes slide to one side of the griddle.
Dirthawg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubu View Post
Hey guys, how level do I need to get my 5er so everything works right, fridge and slides? And where is a good reference point to check level? I can't get to the frame because of insulation, I get different readings from floor and solid surface counter and the rear bumper doesn't look like it was attached with much attention to level. Running a 2016 8529RLBS 35'.
I have two levels, one in front and one on the side next to it, at my controls. I set up with both of them level and then open a door half way, of it stays, all is good.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #50

We store our camper in our pole building which has a level concrete floor. We just put the stick on levels on it after using a 4ft level on the floor. Tested using a ball on the floor. If it doesn't roll, it's level. The stick on levels get it as level as it needs to be. This new 5th wheel has auto leveling though we haven't been out in it yet. Memorial weekend is usually our first trip out for the year so will be using it then.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
We store our camper in our pole building which has a level concrete floor. We just put the stick on levels on it after using a 4ft level on the floor. Tested using a ball on the floor. If it doesn't roll, it's level. The stick on levels get it as level as it needs to be. This new 5th wheel has auto leveling though we haven't been out in it yet. Memorial weekend is usually our first trip out for the year so will be using it then.
What model is your fifth wheel? I kinda regret not getting auto-leveling.
1983 Wife
koribustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Yes, this is the ultimate test.

Also note that the frame is flexible. Never try to get the trailer wheels off the ground; The rear stabilizers will fail long before that happens.
Exactly. Because they are stabilizers, not levelers.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #53

Perfectly level is not necessary, but for comfort, it's nice to know you are close. With the camper's center floor leveled left/right and front/back with a torpedo level, I mounted the levels shown below. I use these to get close. I like it to lean forward/curbside about half a bubble. With that the A/C condensation doesn't drain by my door and the shower drain is the shower low point

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
Exactly. Because they are stabilizers, not levelers.
right, if they aint scissor jacks that look like they're from an OEM emergency kit from an F250 then don't use them for anything but "touching " the ground.

on the flip if you got the giant scissor jacks on all 4 corners, have at it; just realize that you CAN torque it too much and start to bend the corners of the trailer frame if you lift it and then leave it, frame is designed to support weight with upward force being at or near the axles, not the corners.
80% or better of all the bottom facing metal strength of the frame is near those axles.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #55

I always level to my stove. If my fried eggs sit level in the pan life is good.
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #56

I’m still not impressed with the LevelMate Pro. I park sitting on concrete pads in my carport, verify level with four foot carpenter level and calibrate the LevelMatePRO to zero. Come back the next day and the device says I’m one half to one inch low at the left front. Check the next day and it miraculously leveled itself at the left front but now the left rear is off by 1.5 inches. It seems to change almost every day. Funny thing is the readings from the carpenter level never change.

However, I use it when pulling into a campsite because I can watch the numbers change as I move forward, backward, whatever.

Now, here’s the most important subject....what’s the best way to get the Blackstone level left to right while having it about .5 degree low on the back side.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #57

As long as it feels good to you it will be OK for your slides and your refrigerator. I generally het mine as perfect as possible however. I hate when the eggs go to one side of the pan!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #58

Someone earlier suggested a 2' level on the back bumper, use 1/4" blocks under the edge of the level to determine how many inches to raise the side of the trailer. Works great. My counter is level with the cook top and I have a spot on the front of my frame by the lift jack that is correspondingly level with these. I put a cheap stick-on level there. To me the most important leveling point is the top of the stove.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #59

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
I use a 3 foot level on top of the 'diamond plate' on the front of my RV and the top of the pass-thru on the side. Works like a charm.

Paul

This is not a rehearsal.
Same plus1
Roger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #60

The best place to put your torpedo level is the bottom of your refrig freezer. Then put it on the countertop an see what it says. (In case the freezer is full.) Today's refrigerators can accept a few degrees off. Safe Happy Travels
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote