Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

How To Test Emergency Brakes 2016 MicroLite 23LB

Hi. My next project seems to be needing to know if my emergency brakes work. I know now how to hook up the cable although the length puzzles me a bit. I know it needs to be shorter than the chains but not short enough to get pulled out in a turn. Hmmmm.
Anyway, I pulled the pin out a couple of times. It's hard to pull out. But what's the best way to see if the brakes are actually working? I just saw a you tube video where they held a compass next to the wheel and when power was applied the compass changed direction. Does this work?
I am thinking I pull up on my Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, spin the tire, pull the pin, tire should stop.
I am also thinking I could put my floor jack under it and lift a tire off the ground but I don't know where to place the jack. I looked under at my Dexter torsion axles and there is a heavy bracket attached to heavy structure. I am thinking of jacking from there but that's like a straight piece sticking down and it would be hard to keep that on the jack perhaps. Does that make sense?
Any ideas? I know my trailer brakes work I just want to know if the emergency brakes work if that pin is pulled.

2022 Flagstaff MicroLite 25BRDS

2018 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 4WD 3.42 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
boeingav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #2

See this diagram of the 7-pin connector. On the pigtail from the trailer connect a voltmeter set for volts dc (20 range is common) to the two pins opposite the protrusion that the vehicle 7-pin connector latches to(trailer brake control and ground). You should see 0 volts. pull the pin from the breakaway switch. You should see battery/converter voltage - anywhere between 12 and 14.6 volts DC. Re-insert the pin into the breakaway switch and volts should go back to zero.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin-trailer-connector.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	251328  
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm thinking of testing mine as well. Just planning on jacking up each side at at time, getting the wheel spinning good, and yanking the cord.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #4

Seems a whole lot easier to plug a voltmeter into he 7-way connector. I just checked mine in less than 2 minutes total. If the brakes don't come on when there is 12 volts between the brake control pin and the ground pin, then you have total brake failure, not a failure of the breakaway switch.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #5

Love This Forum

But how do I verify that each individual brake is working?? If I pull the switch plunger and I get 12 volts at the connector I know the switch contacts are closing but I still don't know that each individual brake is working, right?? Can I check for an amp reading?? Would I see an amp reading between those pins??

2018 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 4WD 3.42 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Seems a whole lot easier to plug a voltmeter into he 7-way connector. I just checked mine in less than 2 minutes total. If the brakes don't come on when there is 12 volts between the brake control pin and the ground pin, then you have total brake failure, not a failure of the breakaway switch.

That it does, but I still don't know if the mechanical parts are working as advertised.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #7

So what you want to test is the brakes in addition to just the emergency breakaway switch. Using the compass or measuring amperage will only tell you that the magnet is getting power, but will not tell you if there is a mechanical failure of the brake mechanism. To do a thorough check you have to jack each wheel off the ground.

The original question seemed to be asking how to test only the emergency function. The emergency function is working if the brakes operate normally during normal towing and if pulling the pin to the breakaway switch applies battery voltage to the brake control circuit.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #8

the trailer brakes AND the emergency brakes are both electrically operated... IF one works the other has to work also... the only difference is the emergency brake is FULL ON FULL POWER... and hopefully you will never use that emergency brake... very few people do

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the trailer brakes AND the emergency brakes are both electrically operated... IF one works the other has to work also
What if the breakaway switch is defective? Then the trailer brakes will work, but the emergency brake will not.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
What if the breakaway switch is defective? Then the trailer brakes will work, but the emergency brake will not.
it is a simple switch... ON/OFF

from etrailer dot com
Quote:
The way that a breakaway switch such as # HM20010 works is that the pin inside holds two pieces of metal apart. Once pulled out it allows the 2 pieces of metal to touch completing the circuit between the breakaway battery and the trailer brakes.
chances are the emergency switch will go defective subjected to weather and corrosion in a few years, so I guess you should check it every year? something nobody does... at least I have never seen that it was a recommended maintenance item...

I'm not going to test mine for fear my brakes will not work at all cause I fooled with it testing...

You guys do what you have to do!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:59 PM   #11

And it's very easy to test the emergency breakaway switch in less than 2 minutes. Post #2. And, as you stated, rsdata, if the brakes are working normally in normal circumstances, and you get 12 volts from the breakaway switch, then emergency brakes must be working as well because it is the exact same electrical circuit as normal trailer braking.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

From the eTrailer web site...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #13

Hitch up correctly , pull pin , get in truck , pull forward , trailer should stop truck in 10 feet or so !.. PUT PIN BACK IN !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Does the breakaway switch 'lock up' the trailer brakes, or does it apply just enough braking power to quickly stop the roll?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Hitch up correctly , pull pin , get in truck , pull forward , trailer should stop truck in 10 feet or so !.. PUT PIN BACK IN !
To satisfy a Texas state inspection law, I took my trailer to a large truck maintenance facility on my way to the lake. They actually did a thorough inspection including rolling around under my trailer on a mechanics creeper.

Then the technician told me to pull forward slowly. He walked beside my truck and pulled the breakaway brake cable and the rig stopped. He replaced the pin and passed the inspection.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #16
Site Team

As in several proportional electric brake controllers owners manuals and I have posted many times on these forums....you should disconnect the 7 way connector from your tow vehicle before pulling the emergency breakaway cable...as the backfeed from the RV battery can damage the brake controller in the tow vehicle.

Many brake controllers have a warning of such.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
My next project seems to be needing to know if my emergency brakes work. I know now how to hook up the cable although the length puzzles me a bit. I know it needs to be shorter than the chains but not short enough to get pulled out in a turn.
Someone may have covered it but it deserves to be highlighted.

Sorry, THIS IS WRONG!

The emergency brake should only activate in the event of a complete disconnect from the tow vehicle. It's a last resort after failure of the coupler and chains. If just the coupler fails the chains and power cable will handle the trailer brakes in a controlled fashion.

The brakes are not there to save the trailer -- it's too late for that if it comes completely disconnected. They're there to stop the runaway trailer as soon as possible. Trailer will probably be wrecked but is less likely to injure something or somebody after it's disconnected.

Trailer power cord should be longer than the chains so the brakes can be used even if only the chains connect the trailer. If the chains fail the power cord is coming out "automatically." Emergency brake cable should be longer than the cord and chains so it's the last thing that deploys.

-- Chuck
Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Here is a screenshot from the popular Tekonsha Voyager model brake controller manual. Read #3 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210406-092416.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	251358

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #19

I like this idea �� a lot. I’m going to pull the pin and pull the trailer forward. The brakes should be applied.
But if I wanted to know for sure that all four brakes are working under normal circumstances with the emergency brake pin IN then I would need to jack it up, spin a tire and hit the truck brake pedal. I agree if they work with the truck brake pedal then they will work with the emergency brake switch pulled because I have verified that the emergency brake switch is good.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #20

Excellent!!! Post #17 makes so much sense. Thanks

Tags
23lb, brakes, lite