Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

HW50C hardwired surge protection install in the 26FKBS

I previously used a Progressive Industries SSP30 portable surge protector with our truck camper. Now that we have the 26FKBS with 50 amp service I wanted to be protected no matter how I'm connected (50-30-15).
I purchased a Progressive Industries HW50C Hardwired EMS Surge and Electrical Protection system.

First I removed the distribution panel:

and the control panel:

Good grief... What a rat's nest. But whatever, drive on.

Removed the converter/charger (I also carefully removed the close out panel to the right
and reinstalled it later with pan head screws from the inside - made access so much better):

Someone in another post suggested getting a short length of 6/3 stranded wire to ease the installation and prevent cutting the original cord.
WHAT A STUPENDOUS IDEA.
Made the installation so much easier. I purchased a 4 foot section.

After wiring the box per the instructions:

and removing the jumper (secured it to the top of the cover):

The reason I opted to remove the jumper and achieve the 136 second delay was I found out my air conditioners did have a time delay but only when shut down normally - from the thermostat. If you lose and then regain power there is no delay for the compressor to bleed off the high pressure. It will just try to kick back on.

From the HW50C install manual:
Time Delay for A/C Compressor: If AC power is interrupted or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not, use the 136-seconds delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.

EMS installed (zip tied the harness for neatness and to get it out of the way):

Converter/charger reinstalled:

Sent this to the dear wife about half way through the install (think I might have given her a mild heart attack...):
"OH NO! Our new camper will never be the same!!"

Ran the data cable for the remote beside the fridge to locate it at the thermostat and control panel.
Laying out the hole for the remote:

2021 Flagstaff 26FKBS, 99 F250 SD diesel LB 2WD - 26FKBS (2608BS) Mods
luv2skyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

continued

Hole cut:

The problem with the remote is that the data cable is connected on the bottom and the remote is a surface mount.
So you'd have an unsightly hole below the remote for the data cable connection.

pashooter came up with the perfect solution. See his post here: pashooter's EMS install (post 49)

Here is his panel installed on the remote:

The back side (you can see the data cable connection):

He designed a panel through Front Panel Express using their design program.
He also allowed me to share the file so you could order your own if so desired.

Shore Power Monitor panel

Finished:

Once you've downloaded Front Panel Designer from their website and opened up pashooter's panel design in the application,
go to the order tab at the top and click on “Order” then “Order current panel”.
This will open the file on their website where you can place your order.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Not suggesting you need an EasyStart for your A/C but, if you have one or install one, it also has a time delay on restart. For that reason I disabled the time delay on my HW30C and enabled it on the EasyStart.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Not suggesting you need an EasyStart for your A/C but, if you have one or install one, it also has a time delay on restart. For that reason I disabled the time delay on my HW30C and enabled it on the EasyStart.
I'd never heard of that. Thanks for the info. I've had a Honda 2000 for many years. Sounds like something to look at.

Here's their site:
EasyStart 364

I've also read where you need the Surge Guard* Generator Neutral-Ground Bonding Plug to be able to use an inverter generator with the surge protectors.

Most portable generators have a floating neutral. RV electrical protection products will detect this as an open ground condition and not allow power to pass through. To solve this problem, insert the Surge Guard Generator Neutral-Ground Bonding Plug into a 15A receptacle on the generator control panel. This will create a neutral-to-ground bond and the open ground condition should be resolved. Please check the owner’s manual of the generator to ensure the generator was designed with a floating neutral.

Do you know if this is true?

Thanks, Chris.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2skyski View Post
… I've also read where you need the Surge Guard* Generator Neutral-Ground Bonding Plug to be able to use an inverter generator with the surge protectors. …
It's true that the EMS requires a bonded neutral but it's easier to just switch off the EMS since you're connected to a known good source.

Alternatively, if you want to leave it on, make your own neutral/ground bonding plug. Buy a 15A grounded plug, connect the neutral to the ground and plug it into the generator. $3 for the plug and the folks at Big Box will probably give you a piece of scrap wire. You only need a couple of inches.

Put a label on it so you know what it is.

Edit: MicroAir, manufacturer of the EasyStart, has a competitor which I haven't used but I've seen positive comments about it here. I think they're about the same price.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2skyski View Post
Once you've downloaded Front Panel Designer from their website and opened up pashooter's panel design in the application,
go to the order tab at the top and click on “Order” then “Order current panel”.
This will open the file on their website where you can place your order.

About how much are they charging for the panel?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #7

Great install - did mine the same way and love it - works great! I too needed a grounded neutral plug for my inverter/generator and I just bought the Southwire model off of Amazon since I had some other RV items ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It's true that the EMS requires a bonded neutral but it's easier to just switch off the EMS since you're connected to a known good source.

Alternatively, if you want to leave it on, make your own neutral/ground bonding plug. Buy a 15A grounded plug, connect the neutral to the ground and plug it into the generator. $3 for the plug and the folks at Big Box will probably give you a piece of scrap wire. You only need a couple of inches.

Put a label on it so you know what it is.

Edit: MicroAir, manufacturer of the EasyStart, has a competitor which I haven't used but I've seen positive comments about it here. I think they're about the same price.
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Dobbs from WI

This is exactly what I want to do! We just brought/bought our 26FKBS home on Tuesday and I have the hardwired EMS in my cart. Thanks for the great post!
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
About how much are they charging for the panel?
I apologize. I meant to put that in the original post with my complaint about it but just forgot.

The panel was $30 which I don't feel for something "one time" specific was too bad. The shipping on the other hand...
They charged just under $20! Which I thought was crazy. Especially since it wasn't any form of overnight or 2-day. It was Fedex ground. Once it was shipped it was a full week before I got it.
Rant complete...

Old 04-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #10

I agree the custom panel mount is cosmetically desirable but my surface mount isn't bad.

I made a neat hole only just big enough to get the plug through, with a slight keyhole slot at the bottom. I plugged it into the box, fed as much extra wire back down the hole as I could, then screwed the box as close down onto the wire as was possible without damaging the wire. The keyhole slot is concealed. I little bit of brown Sharpie on the edges concealed the cut on the wall. Much easier, zero cost.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #11

Excellent Idea!!! I have a whole house surge protector on my supply box for my home. It can (and has) killed lightning strikes close by, but the installers still recommend individual surge protection for sensitive equipment. I am considering the same unit for the trailer. Maybe I will make the attempt and tackle that “rat nest”!! It would be an internal mount so I would not be worried about theft..... great idea!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #12

I did the same install with one exception. Our distribution panel/load center is in the rear cabinet where our entertainment center and TV are.

The remote display has bright red LEDs and it constantly flashing to display relevant information. Had I mounted it where the installation was it would have been a Huge distraction to us while watching TV.

My solution was to purchase a 50' Data Grade cable (required by the Manufacturer to replace the relatively short cable supplied with the unit. I ran that cable up to the panel where our controls are for the awning, slides, etc. just inside the entrance door to the camper.

Happily this has a swinging door cover. It also is a convenient location to monitor the power supplied to the camper prior to the expiration of the 136 second delay.

(I don[t know if my AC units have a delay or not, I really do not care, since the 136 second delay protects them absolutely)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #13

Great job. I will definitely be referring to this when I put one in my 2608BS once I get it. I put a 30A version in my current camper and also had purchased a short amount of wire and yes it does really help make the install easier. I also didn't want to cut the factory cable in case I wanted to take it with me so it could reach back but with the monitor on my wall, I think I'll just leave it instead of having a hole in the wall. lol

I also love the plate and how you recessed it in the wall. I might have to do that too. I do wish Progressive Industries had updated the display in all these years. Maybe add a hinged cover or switch to turn off the display or a dimming switch. Tech to incorporate into the LCI OneControl would be cool too.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wire