Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

IRV 32 in 2018 Flagstaff has very dim display

Just bought a 2018 Flagstaff Ultra Lite 26FKWS that came with the IRV 32 entertainment system. It is mounted above eye level (I am 6 ft tall), just a few inches below the ceiling. While the pushbuttons are well lit, the LCD display is unreadable with no backlight or lighting capability, even though the operation manual "implies" that the LCD lighting as well as the button backlighting can be controlled through the BT button. I contacted Patrick Industries, which is the importer/supplier of this QAV (chinese) product. They were very helpful and sent me a new unit, which has the exact same issue. When I notified them, they put one on a test bench and determined that this is a design issue and cannot be resolved. Their testing indicated that the LCD display was only marginally useable when mounted at eye level, and any small variation in viewing angle severely degraded the ability to see the display. Unfortunately, what is eye level for me may not be eye level for you. So if you have the IRV 32 in a new unit and you can't read the display, I recommend that you voice your concerns to Forest River and perhaps they will stop using this problematic model. Unfortunately, on the Flagstaff model TT, it is nicely boxed in with wood trim and trying to mount an aftermarket replacement will require hacking at the woodwork. How sad a situation for an upscale TT model.
mitch28311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

I spoke to Forest River Service Support for Flagstaff/Rockwood, representative Jake Carter. I advised him of my issue with the IRV 32 entertainment system. His response, in very polite words, was that Forest River is aware of this problem, is working with Patrick Industries to get a new, replacement system to use in future production, but at this time there is no solution and no replacement available and Forest River will continue to install this problematic model in new models until such time as a better solution is available. He did promise to bring this complaint to the production meetings, saying that having more consumer complaints may help to drive the solution process. So, we are all stuck with this system or must spend $200 or more on aftermarket units. Other threads regarding IRV systems suggest Jensen models as suitable replacements but the models quoted are not listed on the Jensen website but are available through other outlets. This suggests to me that the suggested Jensen models have also been discontinued. Quite a quandary to have on a new travel trailer.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Other threads have listed Jensen AWM968 and JWM6A as replacements for the IRV entertainment systems. I have confirmed with ASA Electronics that both these models have been discontinued, although they are still available new on several websites, including Amazon. ASA/Jensen now makes the JWM60A, I found it at etrailer.com for $183 USD. It is slightly smaller than the IRV32 especially in the height dimension, so some adapting would be required, at least in my Flagstaff. The IRV 32 is 9.8" wide and
7.25" wide. The JWM60A is more narrow at 9.3" +/- 0.6, might be doable, and 6.11" +/- 0.6 height, so there would definitely be issues in this direction. Good luck to all.

Tags
flagstaff, irv