Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

Just bought 8528IKWS

Hi,
We just bought a 8528ikws. We've been using a 5th wheel mallard 26' (1994) that we've had for 14 years. This is going to be a nice upgrade, plus I don't need to get a new truck to pull it. (2005 Dodge Ram 2500).

We will pick it up next week.

Is there any advice on what to look for when picking it up?

Anything specific to this model/maker?

In general is there a check list to guide me when I pick up the trailer?

Any help will be appreciated!
alledlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Always Learning

There is. In the green bar at the top of your browser (if you're in the app, go to the site) is a link for the "Library". In there is a "PDI Checklist" that will help when you go pickup the camper.

Literally, TRY EVERYTHING. Heat, even in the middle of summer (our furnace was dead on arrival and the dealer fixed it while we waited). We found later that the DVD player wasn't playing the center channel on the surround sound. I found and fixed it later with a buddy of mine (electrical engineer type of guy).
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #3

Congrats on your new 8528ikws. I agree with ependydad, "TRY EVERYTHING'. Bring along a plug in night light and try every outlet. Have them pre-cool fridge to make sure it works. Then when you get there try it on both LP and elec. If something isn't right get it fixed before you sign anything or hand over any $. Luckily for us we have a great dealer (purchased last 2 rv's from them) who did a very thorough PDI and went so far as to vacuum out all the cabinets of any construction dust/debris before we even got there.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #4

I picked up my 8528ikws in April--first check the build date on the sticker on the two Dometic awnings- if they fall between February and May 2013 you might have the defective drive motors (they literally come apart) - Dometic sent a mobile tech up to my campsite last week with two new motors after one of them died.

Also check the output of the WFC converter to se if it's charging the battery pack.

It's a GREAT rig- enjoy!

Larry
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Get the dealer to show you how to pull the slides in manually.
It is surprising how many people don't know how, and that sucks if you have an issue and need to do it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Thank you. Is there anyplace I can go to see all the defects of my year and model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
I picked up my 8528ikws in April--first check the build date on the sticker on the two Dometic awnings- if they fall between February and May 2013 you might have the defective drive motors (they literally come apart) - Dometic sent a mobile tech up to my campsite last week with two new motors after one of them died.

Also check the output of the WFC converter to se if it's charging the battery pack.

It's a GREAT rig- enjoy!

Larry
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

yes--this forum!

this is probably the only place you will get fast and accurate feedback---

think about it, if the factory was upfront with any issues--would they use REALLY cheap parts (like a two piece awning moter held together by shrink wrap)!! knowing there would be a certain number of users that would say "oh what the heck-I can live with it" vs. the others that call the factory to task and say FIX IT!

My rant for the day...sigh...I feel better now.

and the 8528ikws IS a REALLY great rig---the DW and I looked steadily for over a year before we left our Jayco MH for this unit.

Larry
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

I would think they would want to remove liability by addressing the issues head on. Once they know of a defect, don't they want to let their customers know about them? Honeestly, I'm not worried, I just thought the factory might compile a list of issues to ensure their customers are aware of any defects.

Searching a forum, as far as I'm concerned is not a good way to find out about things. This forum has been very helpful to me, I use forums a lot to get informed about stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
yes--this forum!

this is probably the only place you will get fast and accurate feedback---

think about it, if the factory was upfront with any issues--would they use REALLY cheap parts (like a two piece awning moter held together by shrink wrap)!! knowing there would be a certain number of users that would say "oh what the heck-I can live with it" vs. the others that call the factory to task and say FIX IT!

My rant for the day...sigh...I feel better now.

and the 8528ikws IS a REALLY great rig---the DW and I looked steadily for over a year before we left our Jayco MH for this unit.

Larry
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

oh yeah, how can I tell if my motors are good or bad? And will they replace them if they are currently working?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #10

Contact Dometic with the build date & serial number from your 9100 series awning ( if that's the model you have- it was on my 8528ikws)-- and they will tell you if that's one of the recall units- they will either direct you to an authorized service center or dispatch a mobile service tech- it takes less than an hour to do both motors.