Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Smile Just ordered a 2016 27RLWS

My wife and I are excited to take delivery at the end of April or beginning of May and can't wait to hit the open road. Although we have boated and camped for many years this is our first TT. I have so many questions so I'm sure i will be posting a lot. In any event my first question has to do with the sewer, water, electric and cable lines. What type, manufacturer and length would you recommend? Any other suggestions pertaining to this post would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe
jasanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #2

We have the same trailer but a 2015. The electric hookup is in the back and the water and sewer hookups are in the front. We carry a 30 foot 30 amp extension cord, 50 feet of cable coax, 3 individual 25 ft. water hoses and 3 individual 20 ft. sewer hoses along with straight connectors and clamps to link them together.
Some may find this excessive but we through the years with different units have had to use all at one time or another. Once we had a site that was a pull in for a motor home and all hookups were on the wrong side and from this experience we learned it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
One thing you may want to do is have the dealer remove the internal water filter and use an external filter as the internal replacement filters tend to be expensive and removing it makes winterizing easier and eliminates a place where a possible leak could occur.
We used ours 20 nights in the first 90 days and then winterized and brought back to the dealer to fix the flexible support for the propane and electric lines on the kitchen slide and the new one has a different design so maybe it won't break.
We are pretty happy with it overall. Every trailer has some compromises and it just comes down to personal choices.
By the way you will find the tongue weight to be about 840# once you have a battery, full propane, 15 gallons of fresh water as tank is forward and packed for camping. This is what we came out to but will vary according to how you pack.
Good luck and hope this helped.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new camper.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

thank you Doug for your helpful comments. Be well and spring can't come soon enough. I will be towing my TT with a 2016 expedition with the ecoboost motor. How does the F150 perform while towing?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 AM   #5

The ECOBEAST as they call it on the Ford Forums is like a baby diesel with it's peak torque down low in the RPM range and does a masterful job of pulling. It outshines my 2000 3/4 ton 8.1 Liter GMC by a long shot. It only lacks engine braking due to small displacement.
My F150 is 157 inch wheelbase, 11500# hitch, 1800# payload and 11200# tow capacity so with a trailer GVWR of 7700# and tongue weight of 840# I am within all specs.
You need to look at your payload sticker on the doorjamb and find your payload rating. From this number subtract the 940# [previously posted tongue weight 840# plus 100# for hitch] from the payload# and this will give you a weight which is left over for passengers, animals, etc. that you can carry in the Expy. Also this 940# is your tongue weight and should be checked against your hitch rating.
Hoping you have the Heavy Duty Tow Package as this is 9200# as opposed to 6600# for the Regular Tow Package.
Hitch selection and set up will be important as your wheelbase will be over 2 feet shorter than mine. I have towed boats, motorcycles, cargo trailers and 5 different travel trailers and there is a different learning curve with travel trailers due to aerodynamics but not one that anybody here hasn't already faced and conquered.
Since we both will have the same trailer and similarly powered tow vehicles do not hesitate to PM me and I will try to assist any way possible.
Good Luck.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks again DOUG. I do have the heavy duty tow package with the factory break control built into the dash. The dealer recommended the equalizer hitch and I think I'm going to go with the 1200 model? Your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #7

27rlws

We bought a 2015 27rlws last July and pull it with a 2014 f150 screwcab ecoboost with 3.31 gear ratio,145 wheel base,xlt plus model. Had it out around 90days last year.,Check to make sure couch is bolted down and that all drawers close properly,we use an ouside filter. Hve fun with your unit !
rrapidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

We recently purchased the Rockwood 2703WS, the Rockwood model to your Flagstaff. We love all the room. Only 2 problems so far was the fireplace did not put out heat and a small leak around shower where it was not sealed completely, the dealer replaced the fireplace and I put silicon on the shower and all is well. We tow with a 2007 F-150 5.4L and use the Equal-i-zer hitch. We went with the 1000/10000 model. The hitch is noisy but it really controls sway, very happy with it. The water hose I started with was a 25' but had to get another 25' to reach at a location where water hook-up was at the end of the trailer when parked. Doug had good recommendations. Let me know if you have any other questions and congratulations!
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Thank you all... What a great site with loads of information and wonderful members.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Canadian Member

Congrats on the new Flagstaff. That's one of my favorite floor plans.

For the 27RLWS, the 10K Equal-i-zer hitch will probably work but IMO you'd be better off with the 12K model.

Regarding dougk53's comment on removing of the internal water filter, just note that the expensive OEM filters are a much finer filter than the external "blue bullet" type. There are lots of threads here on the forum about water filters and some troublesome canisters. If you just want a filter for grit sized particles, the blue ones will do the job fine. Here's a good website for info on what's available
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABFiltration.htm
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #11

I have a very similar model and have enjoyed it for the last six years. Do make sure you have some silicon for the shower, this model is notorious for not being sealed.

As far as the filter, I have never had a issue with a leak, and buy my replacement filters at Lowes.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

Sound nice hope you enjoy it. We have a 2016 that we took delivery of last April. We thought we where getting a 2015 and got a 2016. So you may get a 2017. Not that it makes much difference. We have really enjoyed ours and have towed it for about 400 miles behind our f150 non Eco boost.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

Go with the 1200# bars so this way if you ever move up to a trailer with a heavier tongue weight you won't have to worry. I'm running a Dual Cam Reese with 1200# bars even though it may not be needed as I had this set up on 2 other trailers with tongue weights of 1100#. All it took on the Flagstaff was to tilt the head to a more vertical position to allow for the lighter tongue weight but still allow the chains to ride on the snap up brackets in the same link as previous units. I also installed 5000# Air Lift rear bags because I haul a lot of wood to heat my house and run 20# in them to finesse the level of the trailer according to what I am carrying in the bed.
I notice you live on the Island. I moved to Pa. from Staten Island 20 years ago and used to run my trucks on the beaches on the Island for surf fishing. I don't envy your having to tow out of there between the traffic and the tolls on the bridges with the trailer. Kudos to you for your determination to do this.
By the way where did you purchase the trailer as I don't recall a lot of RV dealers in the Metro area though that was many years ago.
Wishing you many restful nights in your new camper and hope you meet a lot of nice people in your travels as we have always found this to be key for us.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Old 02-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

Doug I purchased the TT at Custom Campers in Southernton Connecticut (about 21/2 hours away). Seem like wonderful people, family owned business. Just ordered it so I'll let everyone know what happens when I take delivery. I don't anticipate any problems. Thanks again for all your tips and suggestions.

PS you are correct in that there is only two full service rv dealers on LI but they don't carry Forest River product I was looking for.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
chicagoslick

We have had our 2014 for a couple of years now and it has treated us well...go with the 1200 lb bars and you will be set. We have had no problems pulling ours with the F150KR. You will need to go through the unit completely to make sure all screws are tight. You may even have to replace a few. Here is a list of mods I have done to make things easier..

1. Installed square fence tube under trailer near sewer line. I house my sewer line in there. You can have 2-15' to 20' lines connected together. I have yet to find the need for more than that, even though I keep another extension in a bin stored in the front storage area.

2. Installed square fence tube near rear of trailer for folding ladder.

3. Installed led lights in rear storage cabinet and water storage cabinet area.

4. Removed on-board filter housing and use separate filter housing.

5. Installed wire loom on all open wiring. This will help keep small animals from eating you exposed wiring and looks much nicer.

6. Installed Progressive Dynamics surge protection.

7. Installed new water fixtures inside for an improved appearance.

8. Mounted new shower fixture high in shower region to provide more room for water flow downward. No more bending at all. ( I am just under 6 feet tall)

9. Trailer interior has been fully decorated. Looks like a high end hotel room which is what we were going for when we bought the emerald package.

10. Added rear exterior speakers to be used when we are setup towards the rear of the trailer versus the side.

11. Installed pizza stone in oven which is a must for baking an type of bread.

I'm sure there is stuff I have missed, but that's most of it...There are many good people on this forum and all have been very helpful.

If you look up my past posts you will see a few of the pics associated with my upgrades. I learned much from others and cannot take credit for most of the stuff. The decorating is all my wife and I doubt many have gone as far as she has...

Best of luck...

Note:
I know my bottom picture is outdated. When it gets warm I will get some new pics...

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

I forgot to mention that I added Air Lift ride control air bags to rear suspension. I really like them, they made my ride smoother even when not towing. I just put more air in them when I am towing. The one issue with keeping the water filter is it takes more anti freeze when winterizing. I am going to put a bypass similar to that on the water heater, or remove it.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
chicagoslick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
I forgot to mention that I added Air Lift ride control air bags to rear suspension. I really like them, they made my ride smoother even when not towing. I just put more air in them when I am towing. The one issue with keeping the water filter is it takes more anti freeze when winterizing. I am going to put a bypass similar to that on the water heater, or remove it.
Since removing my on-board filter housing it now only takes about 1 gallon of anti-freeze to winterize...

Old 02-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
chicagoslick

jasanto,

Congrats on your purchase..I forgot to mention that earlier...You will love it.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #19

Thank you all for your advices.
Would anyone happen to know the distance between the tires? I ordered my trailer and I'm looking to order a pair of wheel stabilizers and noticed that some only expand to just over five inches?
Thanks.

Joe from Long Island.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #20

The 2015 I have has 14" tires and I purchased a double pack of BAL X Chocks that close down to 1 3/8" as the spacing was about 1 3/4". The specs on the Forest River website is showing 15" tires for 2016. Best to wait for the trailer so you can actually measure the distance. Bought mine on Amazon for just slightly more than a single one cost and got free shipping also. Unless someone has a 2016 and can measure the spacing wait and order later. Got mine within 5 days of placing order.
We also got some inexpensive screw type jackstands to put under the frame between the wheels and stairs as we found the stabilizers lacking compared to scissor jacks that we have had on all previous trailers.
These two combined to eliminate most of the shake and bounce we were feeling though not all of it.
Good Luck.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids