Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

Question Ladder-mounted bike rack

Anyone use the ladder-mounted bike rack sold at RV stores like Camping World? What do you think of that? The reviews appear to be good on the CW site and I have lots of tongue weight so that should not be an issue.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Just don't even think about it if your TT or 5er is still under warranty because you may end up with damage to your ultra or light weight tt or 5er. just my 2c based on many threats in this or other forums.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

Used one on my previous 5W. Less than 400 miles and the ladder was pulling loose from the rig. The salesman said it would work, mfg said don't ever use it.
I paid for the repair.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiniii View Post
Used one on my previous 5W. Less than 400 miles and the ladder was pulling loose from the rig. The salesman said it would work, mfg said don't ever use it.
I paid for the repair.
Was the 5W a Flagstaff? How did you secure the bikes?

Why I ask is because I am more concerned with the ladder being pulled off the RV due to the dynamic loading, even if the bikes are firmly tied to the rack AND ladder (which would be my approach). If not tied so that there is no secondary movement, then the loading would be less severe on the ladder.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

We have a ladder on the 5'r and there is no way I'd put bikes on it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
We have a ladder on the 5'r and there is no way I'd put bikes on it.
Any particular reason?

BTW (looking at your sig) I have never heard that adjective for a dog before .... Usually only for cats.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

I had a Keystone Laredo 5w. The ladders are just not designed for that kind of load, their really is no structure in the wall.
I kept thinking of what would happen if the ladder came loose, at 60 mph, and dumped the bikes in front of someone behind me.
Bikes were strapped down tight, no movement.
No manufacturer will say it's safe to carry ANYTHING on the ladder.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Any particular reason?

BTW (looking at your sig) I have never heard that adjective for a dog before .... Usually only for cats.
I just would not trust the ladder to handle that sort of weight. With the amount of bouncing that will go on I also feel in time it would stress it too much.

As for the dog, you'd have to meet this bleeping animal to get it

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

I have a 27rlws also just went out on 2nd weekend love the unit I still have not found a way to carry bikes not concerned about tongue weight but frame flex it only has a 6 inch frame
bob27rwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Bob, the RV is not the frame alone. The RV is one huge box and the side walls help with the longitudinal bending strength that the assembled unit has, even when the holes for the aft slide-outs are considered. I wouldn't bother that two bikes at the aft end would impact longitudinal strength of the RV itself.

Mounting on the bumper would be cause for concern because the shear strength at the weld between the box bumper and the aforementioned frame is often insufficient for the dynamic loading on the welds. If strong-backs are welded between the bumper and the longitudinal frame members adding a hitch-mount for a bike carrier would not be a problem IF the modification is done properly and the additional steel is sized and detailed correctly.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

We had a ladder mounted rack on our 2004 Surveyor for 4 years with no problems. Took it off and installed it on the back of our Georgetown. Still no problems. We carry 2 steel framed bikes, weight together about 60lbs. Ours is a 2 bike carrier, I would not put anything bigger up there.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Any welding on the frame will void the warranty.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

Just looked again at the OP.
Our rack is clamped to the ladder uprights not hooked on a rung like the one shown. I wouldn't buy one that cheap, hit a good interstate pot hole and your bikes may jump into the next county!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
We had a ladder mounted rack on our 2004 Surveyor for 4 years with no problems. Took it off and installed it on the back of our Georgetown. Still no problems. We carry 2 steel framed bikes, weight together about 60lbs. Ours is a 2 bike carrier, I would not put anything bigger up there.
Agree as I carried bikes on a rear mounted hitch bike carrier. BUT this was on A-class MH's with a class 2 or higher hitch receiver. Those MH or mid or high class 5 ers with either factory installed bike racks or optional bike racks (like Sabre or similar) are build different then light or ultralight tt or 5ers.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
Agree as I carried bikes on a rear mounted hitch bike carrier. BUT this was on A-class MH's with a class 2 or higher hitch receiver. Those MH or mid or high class 5 ers with either factory installed bike racks or optional bike racks (like Sabre or similar) are build different then light or ultralight tt or 5ers.
Very True!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #16

I moved the spare tire on my 27 RLWS under the tongue and am buying this bumper mount. The good thing about this is I can use it on my TV very easily also.

XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack - Swagman 64663 - Bike Racks - Camping World
pdeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeter View Post
I moved the spare tire on my 27 RLWS under the tongue and am buying this bumper mount. The good thing about this is I can use it on my TV very easily also.

Please let us know how it works out for you. I am not sure that the bumper-frame attachment is strong enough, but since this is the same RV as mine I would love to know your experiences. When are you likely to have this installed and used?

Also, I'd like to see a photo of the relocated spare tire arrangement. Sounds like an interesting mod.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Please let us know how it works out for you. I am not sure that the bumper-frame attachment is strong enough, but since this is the same RV as mine I would love to know your experiences. When are you likely to have this installed and used?

Also, I'd like to see a photo of the relocated spare tire arrangement. Sounds like an interesting mod.
I will send a photo of the spare tire arrangement when I get back to the trailer around the 15th. I had the dealer move it because I was limited on the room behind the trailer where I store it. I will let you know about the rack as soon as I haul a bike on it.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeter View Post

you might want to check with FR. you have an ultra-light trailer and putting a bumper-mounted bike rack is against their recommendations.
i think the current ones in your brand, have a warning sticker.
all your bumper has is two cheap/light welds and that bouncing/flexing bike rack will soon rip those welds apart.
remember, your trailer doesn't have shocks, so there'll be lots of bouncing in the rear of the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you might want to check with FR. you have an ultra-light trailer and putting a bumper-mounted bike rack is against their recommendations.
i think the current ones in your brand, have a warning sticker.
all your bumper has is two cheap/light welds and that bouncing/flexing bike rack will soon rip those welds apart.
remember, your trailer doesn't have shocks, so there'll be lots of bouncing in the rear of the trailer.
You may be right but my spare tire was mounted there and I am sure it weighs as much as two bikes. I will double check with the dealer to be safe.

Tags
bike, bike rack, mount