Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #1

Long Term Stay

So, if we are using the trailer for a home for several months, without moving, how do you maintain the grey/black tanks?
I’m thinking leave grey open all the time and empty the black every two weeks. I would put sanitizer in it after emptying and add 4 toilets full of water, also.
Just want to avoid the brown pyramid.

Thank you!!
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #2

Snowbird neighbor in Florida left his grey tank open until he returned one day to a MH full of sewer flies. Maybe a “P” trap had drained too low and allowed their escape from the depths of darkness into his comfortable domain?
I will continue to keep mine closed until it needs to be emptied. YMMV
TRAVEL SAFE

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 AM   #3

We (2) snowbird four to five months. Our current TT is new and I have not established a pattern as it has larger tank capacity than the previous one. I reserve the right to change my mind due to circumstances but I do not leave the sewer hose hooked up. Environmental damage and the chance of stepping on it or tripping over it is the main reason. With the previous trailer I had to dump once a week. If for some reason the grey water was prematurely (rare) filled I would "bleed" it a bit. I want a lot of grey water to flush the hose. Of course be serious about flushing the black tank. Yes, it is a pain to attach and remove the hose but I am comfortable with the routine.
andy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

For extended stays we use a garden hose cap and run just a small hose from the cap to the sewer. That way we can bleed off grey water as needed. On my rig the grey fills up in a few days if we are using the shower and washing dishes. The black can go a solid week. By leaving the grey closed except for bleeding off the excess I always have plenty for flushing the hose when I get ready to empty the black.

Another option to consider is a macerator/pump system, then you only need a 3/4" hose and they aren't as much of a tripping hazard as the stinky slinky.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote