Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Looking to Upgrade

Purchased our first trailer back in 2010, a Flagstaff pop up 625D. Three years later upgrade to a hybrid 23IKSS to enjoy the convenience of a freezer, better bathroom and ease of loading. Its been three years again and the better half is getting the itch and expressing her desire to lose the tent ends.

After an innocent trip to the dealer we are contemplating purchasing a Flagstaff 29IKTS. It still has the island feature she loves, more storage and enclosed sleeping quarters so the outside noise won't bother her.

We have a choice between two units, the second has the Emerald Package to spruce it up a little. I am wondering if there is anyone out there willing to share there thoughts about the pros and cons for some of the features.

Power Stabilizer vs manual (wear and tear / maintenance)
Bonded Flush windows vs standard framed windows
Awning LED lights (Heard reviews about premature failure)
Black water flush
Slam Latches (wear and tear / durability)
Equalizer 4 point W/D

Thanks in advance.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Power Stabilizer vs manual (wear and tear / maintenance)
I just added an electric tongue jack this past fall. I can't believe I went so long without one. Also, it's a huge help when raising and lowering the TT/TV when using a W/D hitch.

Bonded Flush windows vs standard framed windows
My only comment is that you can leave them open and not get rain in the TT.

Black water flush
I wish I had it in my previous camper (HW).
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Here are my thoughts:

I've had power stabilizers on my last 2 TTs, love them. You will too.

I also like the flush, frameless windows. I think they look cleaner and more modern, plus you don't have to worry about the frames fading or yellowing over time.

Awning lights - check. I've had them on my TT for a year and love them. No issues thus far.

Black tank flush - wouldn't have a TT without one. Before they were OEM options, I always installed my own. They are great for keeping the tank (relatively) clean and keeping odors down.

Slam latches - like them too. Much faster to close it up.

Equalizer is a good hitch. I use one now, and also had one on my first TT. In the middle I had a couple of bigger / heavier Jayco TT and had one with a Hensley Arrow and one with.a ProPride. Both are very good hitches, but my current TT is about 1,500 lbs lighter so the Equalizer is plenty and tows very well.

Let me know if I can help you in any way, but all sounds like good decisions.
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

When you said "Power Stabilizer vs manual (wear and tear / maintenance)," I thought you were referring to the tongue jack. After reviewing the features of the TT you're considering, I see it does have Power Stabilizers. I wouldn't mind having them myself; however, my cordless drill works pretty good.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufinger View Post
When you said "Power Stabilizer vs manual (wear and tear / maintenance)," I thought you were referring to the tongue jack. After reviewing the features of the TT you're considering, I see it does have Power Stabilizers. I wouldn't mind having them myself; however, my cordless drill works pretty good.
The power jack I had on the last unit. The power stabilizers are what I am not sure about. Although they are for stabilizing and not leveling how well do they balance the load when on uneven ground. It also appears they are not as far outboard as the manual stabilizers and I have concern with how well they will work.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Old 03-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

I wouldn't own a TT without power stabilizers any more. Very convenient. Just keep them lubed with a dry lube and you're good to go. I added the StrongArm stabilizers bars that made a world of difference.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
Although they are for stabilizing and not leveling how well do they balance the load when on uneven ground. It also appears they are not as far outboard as the manual stabilizers and I have concern with how well they will work.
They are definitely stabilizers and not used for leveling. With the power, they're very nice for overnight stops and certainly expedite set up. If you're longer term, you might consider keeping your drill to use on the scissor jacks... I think they actually keep a rig 'more' solid.

My $0.02 for what its worth.

As a side note, I've seen some forum entires about folks about getting a few scissor jacks and sliding them under the frame in front and behind the wheels to make the trailer more solid. I've seen a few replies saying that it makes the trailer very solid.

Plano, TX
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 26WRB towed by a 2019 Ford F-150 King Ranch EB
ldnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the choice of the Emerald package sealed the deal. We pick up the new unit the first weekend of May and head out for the Canadian long weekend two weeks later.

The new trailer is about 7 ft longer than what I am used to. The ride home from the dealer is only about 45 minutes and no expressway. Should give me a good feel on how the trailer is going to handle compared to the smaller unit. Maybe next upgrade I'll consider a 5th wheel.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the choice of the Emerald package sealed the deal. We pick up the new unit the first weekend of May and head out for the Canadian long weekend two weeks later.

The new trailer is about 7 ft longer than what I am used to. The ride home from the dealer is only about 45 minutes and no expressway. Should give me a good feel on how the trailer is going to handle compared to the smaller unit. Maybe next upgrade I'll consider a 5th wheel.
If you do go to a 5er in the future you will wonder why you did not do it sooner. So much nicer to tow. It is a bit different backing until you do it 5 or 6 times.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade