Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Mattress Insider and Mattress Size

We really like our 21 FBRS, but we hate the mattress. I'm seriously considering a replacement from RV Mattress | Custom Size Mattresses for RV & Campers aka Mattressinsider.com. I could use some help on 2 questions.

1. Does anyone have experience with Mattress Insider, good or bad?

2. I measure the 21 FBRS mattress at 60X74 with very little clearance as the slide comes in. Given the slim margin for error, I'd feel better with a confirmation. If anyone else has measured their mattress, what did you come up with?

Thanks,

Buck
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

Micro Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

This might help. Looks like same measurements as you have.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

TampaJohn - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I forgot that sizes are listed in the floor plans.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

I ran across a mattress on Amazon that has peaked my interest. Brand is DreamFoam. They sell a short queen for $213. Not sure of the quality but it has mostly good reviews.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

I am cheap when it comes to a lot of stuff, BUT, I like to sleep and be comfy!
The way we got around the uncomfortable bed and not blowing a whole bunch of money was a mattress pad. The old camper we had a 4" one, it came from Wally world, it was awesome! It slept as good as my Seally post. in the house. In this camper we got a 3" one that is memory foam with little groves to hel pit breath and I slept great last weekend, it was our first rip. Each of these pads were under $100, the 3" was about $80 for a queen size. It is well worth every penny!
Super Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

X2 on what Super Coop said. We bought a mattress topper that is a combination of memory foam and gel from walmart. I dont exactly know how they combine foam and gel, but it is awesome. It is much cheaper than buying a new mattress, and is about as comfortable as you are going to find (we have the 3"). It is slightly longer than an rv mattress, but it is easily squished. We let it hang off the end a few inches and it doesnt affect our bed (we have the murphy bed). If you get one of those mattress toppers, my only suggestion is to let it air out, the "new" smell is pretty strong on some of them. We set it up in the TT about a week before making a trip, and it was completely fine when we first used it

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions, but I ordered a foam/gel mattress a couple of days ago from Mattressinsider.com. It should be here by the end of next week. 30 days to try it out. If I don't like it, donate it to a charity and get a refund.

I have a mattress topper now, but I think the mattress than came with the trailer is so fundamentally lacking that it's beyond help. At least, that's what my back says every morning.

I'll report back after a few days sleeping on the new one.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

Please post back with your opinion on the mattress. That is also one thing I dislike in my Mini Lite. We put a topper on it but I still don't like it much.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #9

The mattress arrived yesterday - a mere four days after I ordered it. After sleeping on it for a night, I'm disappointed.

The company claims that it will support two 250 lb people without bottoming out. As a side sleeper, I bottomed out by myself at 6'1" and 235 lbs. It was like sleeping on a board. It was OK after putting my 2" memory foam topper on it in the middle of the night. With that addition, it's better than the mattress provided with the trailer. I'll give it a try for a while and take the old mattress to the dump. Meanwhile, I'll I keep looking for something that will support my chubby butt.

I bought the 5.5" model identified as their most popular ($387). It would probably be ok for someone weighing less that 180 or so. It might also work for someone heavier if they sleep on their back.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw661 View Post
I ran across a mattress on Amazon that has peaked my interest. Brand is DreamFoam. They sell a short queen for $213. Not sure of the quality but it has mostly good reviews.
We bought one of these after our first camping trip in our MH in May, as the included mattress was awful. I really like it, and couldn't beat the price!
Is it as nice as my mattress at home? No, but I sleep well and haven't bottomed out on it, and my shoulder doesn't hurt (side sleeper) so the DH and I were pretty happy.

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote