Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

New 2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS coming home with us next week! But have a hitch question fir

We finally pulled the trigger and traded our Salem 27RLSS for the brand spanking new 2018 29KSWS, a lot of thought and sleepless nights making that decision. But we believe it will be the right fit for us. Would appreciate any input from members with rigs similar for anything to watch out for when we do our PDI this week.
Another decision to make is whether to stick with our current WDH and the side friction sway bar or to trade for a hitch with sway control built in. I am looking at the Husky Centerline TS hitch which is very reasonably priced. I know it will cost a little more thru my dealer, but might be worth it to have them set it up for me. Just not sure if it is worth the extra cost or might our old WDH do the job just as well. Also wondering how much the bars and brackets wear over time. Anyway, the camper is 7517 dry weight and 808 hitch weight empty. So don't want to start a hitch debate or anything, just looking for input on the Centerline hitch good and bads? Sorry, so long on the post but just looking for opinions on the Flagstaff camper and the different hitch. I've learned many new things from this forum, so wanted to pick everyone's brain. Thanks for all opinions.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #2

Really nice trailer congrats on the upgrade.

I would setup the WDH yourself. They jacked mine up and I ended up having to fix it myself before I got home from the purchase. It really was not that hard to do. Besides they will set it up for empty and once you put your gear in it you will have to adjust it anyway so you have to figure it all out either way.

I have not used the centerline but I like the built in non friction sway control on mine. Best of luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

New 2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS coming home with us next week! But have a hitch question fir

You will need more than a sway bar for sure. You can have them install it and then do adjustments after it is loaded up.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks dbledan for your response. Know what you mean about setting up myself. My dealer got our last setup pretty close but the camper before that, they had it all wrong. Either way I know I'll probably have to change it after loading all our "stuff" in camper and truck. I'm leaning toward the Centerline with the built in sway control, but still on the fence. Thanks, again.
Happy Camping!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

That's what I was thinking lbrjet, that the side friction sway control wouldn't be enough for this weight camper. Will probably follow your suggestion on the setup and adjustment later if I decide to trade up to the Centerline hitch. Thanks for your feedback, need all the advice I can get.
Happy Camping!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

Hensley Hitch

Look into a Hensley Hitch. Put one on my 34'Signature Ultralight. It totally eliminates sway.

Best hitch for a travel trailer
bjohn50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Thanks dbledan for your response. Know what you mean about setting up myself. My dealer got our last setup pretty close but the camper before that, they had it all wrong. Either way I know I'll probably have to change it after loading all our "stuff" in camper and truck. I'm leaning toward the Centerline with the built in sway control, but still on the fence. Thanks, again.
Start a poll and I believe you will find most are extremely happy with the Equalizer 4 point with sway control. If I ever tow a TT again I'll have another!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #8

Thanks guys for other hitch considerations, will check them out. I've also read somewhere on here that you can't make very sharp turns while backing in with the built in sway control hitches- is this true?
On a different subject, I've searched and searched on the forum for a PDI list and only found one for hybrids. Went to print that one off anyway and lost it somewhere in the shuffle. Can someone send me the link or whatever for a good PDI list for regular travel trailer? Really appreciate that, thanks.
Happy Camping!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #9

I just got back from the FROG rally and Blue Ox did a seminar on their WD hitch. The thing that I liked about it is that there is no friction used for the sway control. It has the pivot points for the bars angled so that each bar tries to push the trailer the opposite way resulting in the sway being eliminated before it can start. The rep said you can buy it from Blue Ox for $625 with free shipping.

I have a Reese double cam WDH on my 2016 29KSWS and it works ok but the popping when you do sharp slow turns is annoying. It feels like everyone is watching you when you are pulling into a campground or campsite when it pops.

We chose our 29KSWS for the large living space since it is just the DW and myself plus our 3 fur-babies. We rarely need any extra beds as our 15 year old doesn't come along very often. He's decided he'd rather tent because we get up too early and he'd rather not sleep with the dogs. Yay!

The only issue I found after the walk through inspection was that the refrigerator wasn't even plugged in to AC. I went through a full propane tank before I looked in the outside panel. I had a wiring problem on the air conditioner and a split roof/front cap seal that got repaired at the rally this past week. My dealer couldn't find the ac problem and told me that the seal was okay.

All in all, we love the trailer. It serves us well until we decide to upgrade to a fifth wheel in a few years and travel for longer periods.

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

hensley hitch

When it comes down to a tow behind....don't play around with cheap hitches...i learned from experience........get a HENSLEY.....BEST IN THE MARKET!!!https://hensleymfg.com/
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

OP-- you can back up with the Equalizer 4 point with sway control. The friction attached are a problem as they can bend and become worthless.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #12

Agree about the Hensley . . . Awesome!

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georandycorbin View Post
Agree about the Hensley . . . Awesome!
Hensley or ProPride are great for marginal tow vehicles but not necessary when you have a well-matched tow vehicle and a modern tech WDH with built-in sway control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

Not my experience . . The Hensley geometric hitch does things no WD can do alone. BTW, I'm a full ton under Max for my TV, and in spec on tongue weight. I respectfully ask you to check out where you got the data to draw your conclusion.
...and thanks for your dedicated service as a firefighter, Sir!

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georandycorbin View Post
Not my experience . . The Hensley geometric hitch does things no WD can do alone. BTW, I'm a full ton under Max for my TV, and in spec on tongue weight. I respectfully ask you to check out where you got the data to draw your conclusion.
...and thanks for your dedicated service as a firefighter, Sir!
Thank you for the thanks.

My data is from 13 years of WDH reviews from RV owners, on numerous RV forums AND my 11 years of towing throughout the Western US, with my 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH.

Because I researched towing before I purchased my combo, my TV was easily capable of towing the trailer, without needing a hitch system that cost 6x what my Equal-i-zer cost.

No doubt that they are great systems that work very well, just don't agree that they are necessary, with a good towing combo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #16
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

The husky centerline is a good hitch. Works well. Yes you can back up no issues.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Canadian Member

I agree with Bikendan. The Hensley and Propride may be great but their cost can only be justified if you have a marginal tow vehicle for your trailer. The OP has a F250 with the 7.3L diesel. So his truck will not be marginal for a 2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS and therefore expense of a Hensley or Propride cannot be justified.

I've had the Equalizer 4 pt. on 2 trailers and highly recommend it. The only negative is that those bars are heavy if you have back issues. RV Wholesalers sell it for about the lowest price I could find when I ordered mine, and they shipped quickly.

I have no experience with a Husky Centerline but they look decent. They actually look similar to the Equalizer 4 pt. hitch.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #18

Got the Husky centerline , works really good. Just need to be lined up straight when hooking up
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for your replies and insights. I went with the Husky Centerline and we'll see how it handles. Again thanks and happy camping to all.
Happy Camping!

Tags
flagstaff, hitch