Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Pulling For Fun

Thumbs up New 829FKSS .... slide brace for travel, grill

Brought our new 829FKSS home day before yesterday. Traded in a MaxLite with a slide. During our demo, the tech said to be sure and put the slide braces in before traveling. I have never heard of this before. There are two
braces with a rubber pad on each end that extend from the outside wall to the inside edge of the slide.
One thing I dont care for is two gray water tanks. Plus there are some weird placement of electrical switches. Fit and finish is very nice.
Other than the XM issue (resolved), all is well and we are looking fwd to our maiden voyage to a nearby campground in a week or two.
Oh, one last thing. The trailer came with a gas grill. Does anyone know if we should have gotten a storage case for it? I saw one forest river on display that had a storage case in the closet. HAPPY TRAILS.
Loren

2007 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4X4 Quad Cab Hemi 3:92
Superchips Programmer/Dynomax Exh/drilled airbox + K&N
Equalizer Sway Control/Backflip Tonneau, 20" American Racing Mags

Hellwig Pro Series Springs/Ultra Fab 3502 Elect. Tongue Jack
Tandem Honda EU2000i Generators

2008 829FKSS
Dodge Magnum Hemi/72 Chevy Nova 454
lorencherylp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

You will get conflicting opinions on the use of the slide locks for travel. Personally I use them every time. It seems like a good insurance if you should have to do a quick manuver on the highway.

Good luck with your new trailer.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #3

I have two slide braces as well, I have found that they move out of place when towing. It seems that the rubber seal around the slide out will not let the braces seat like they should and if I force them in place it will damage the rubber seal on the slide out. I use the braces for other things. I have not noticed any movement with the slide out during or after towing, has anyone else?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #4

Had the same problem there.. couldn`t seat em too great in the shamrock. After a while the sticker on the wall moved around a bit. Eventually i had to take it off and it left a nasty glue mark on the wall! Tried to clean it off with goof off..fantastic...etc. Nothing..just started to remove the texture and color on the wall!! So.. this thime with the new trailer, I`m not messin with the slide locks. There buried under one of the seats somewheres. I asked the dealer if they were nessecary and they said no. Thank god cause on the new trailer (831krss) I coudnt imagine how i was gonna get em locked in place. Thos are some deep slides!!
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #5

I have 3 slide locks on my unit, and because of the shape of the seal on the back of the slide outs, I can't seem to get them to work properly, either. The slide out is so deep that they are at their max. extension, also. I have 2 gray water tanks also, and they are only 25 gallons each, so I am glad there is 2!!
The shower and bathroom sink feed one, and the kitchen sink feeds the other.
The shower tank fills up really too fast, in my opinion. Also, I have the outside gas grille, and no storage bag, but there's a little table accessory that came with mine as well. I put plastic carpet runner material in my storage compt. to protect the carpet from the grille. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Unrelated to the post, I noticed you have a Dodge ram 1500 hemi too. Mine is an 06 quad cab shortbed 1500 slt 2 wheel drive hemi with MDS. I have a 3:55 rear, with the 5 spd. automatic O.D. w/lock up torque converter. I already put a K&N series 77 cold air intake, and "true" dual exhaust, w/flowmasters. I pulled my 30 foot V-lite 400 miles on flat Florida roads, and went 65 to 70 and got about 7 1/2 mpg burning shell plus. I came home and ordered the intake, and went to put on the dual exhaust. Tach read about 2800-3100 rpm's in tow/haul mode at those speeds. Is your hemi this thirsty also, or do I need a steeper gear in the rear??? Thanks, Randy
Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #7

I have used the slide out braces to support the slide out when camping, It helps reduce rockin.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 AM   #8

i dont have one for our wildwood LE having two slides
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #9

While we love our 8296SS Rockwood (same floorplan as yours), we too are baffled by the placement of some of light swtches.

Why is the front outside scare light and the step light under the kitchen cabinet? Why is the rear outside scare light in the bathroom?

On our first extended stay, we had to retract the slide to drain the galley tank into a blue tote. A mite inconvenient.

I asked the same question about the travel locks for the slide. Some do, some don't.
Equal-i-zer WDH
davenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #10

You either have to place them on the seal, which just won't fit, or you place them on the wood trim edge, which gets pushed loose when fitted snug- not tight. It's a lose-lose situation! They make a pretty good towel bar in the bathroom! OR like I heard someone else say to support the slide outs outside.
Randy

Tags
flagstaff