Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

New 8528RKWS issues- door closer, entertainment center

We picked up our 2015 8528RKWS 4 days ago. Last night, we discovered the screws were pulling out of the camper and the door on the door closer. Does anyone know how this would be fixed under warranty? The other half wants to fix it, I want to have the dealer do it.

And can someone tell me how the entertainment center hookups work? There are 3 coax connectors- AUX/SAT, TV, and Bedroom Satellite, and a set of component/composite cable connections. When using the antenna, nothing is connected to the coax connections. There are two connections in the bedroom: one marked satellite, the other for the antenna. We had hoped to use our distribution connection on our satellite receiver by connecting to the one marked Bedroom, but it doesn't seem to work.
DebParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

As for the door closer, move the anchor 2.5" closer to the hinge and pop rivet the anchor to the door with 3/16" pop rivets, and move the camper anchor 2.5" closer to the hinge and thru bolt it with #10 ss stove bolts and washers inside the camper. Worked for us since Feb 12 without incident. It allows the door to swing open more than 90 degrees but does not hit the awning arm. BTW, the dealer will just put bigger screws in it and that will fix it long enough for you to get it off the lot. (MAYBE)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Both anchors relocated.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	64350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	64351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up relocated anchor on trailer.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	64352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	64353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relocated anchor on trailer.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	64354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Relocated strut.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	64355  
Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the info- he thought the same thing about any dealer fix.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Before you take it to the dealer for minor repairs, ask on this forum since someone here has already fixed or did a mod like Old Coot. I have only taken ours to the dealer for big issues. I fix the little stuff and fix it better than the dealer would. You bought the camper already so they no longer have skin in the game.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
WFD

Get used to fixing small things on your own...these new trailers, regardless of brand all have little things that need to be fixed, adjusted, whatever...its a fact of life with RV's.....shouldn't be that way but it is...quality control stinks. If you run it back to the dealer every time a little thing needs adjusting you will make many trips and the trailer will be tied up a lot.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #6

.... and there is an excellent chance it won't be done right.

OTOH, if one is not handy or one does not have the ability to do the fix themselves then the dealer is the best option. You don't want to mess it up even more by learning on the trailer. Your resale value will plummet even faster.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

We have had a popup, travel trailer, class C, class A, and 5th wheel, but this is our first purchase new. I was bummed about what looked to be a permanent issue with our less than week old RV. It looks like OldCoot's fix should be a permanent one. We wondered about using a plate to cover the old holes that would go under the bracket as well, and put bolts/rivets in all of the holes.

Tags
8528, door