Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #1

NEWBIE Picking up 25BRDS this weekend

We're picking up our Micro Lite 25BRDS this Saturday. Running a Ram 1500 Express with the 5.7 Hemi up to 8300 lbs tow, 1570 lbs load capacity. I picked up a 10k WDH with sway bars, and the hitch receiver is good to 15k.

I have read to record the walkthrough during the inspection/familiarization. I do have some questions and hoping to get answers regarding some basics and the Micro Lite/Mini or similar models.

1. Solar: what do I need in terms of watts (add'l batteries)? Is the wiring for solar reversed polarity to force you to buy proprietary equipment, or standard?

2. I know I need hoses for food grade water and sewer... any specific models, brands, or configurations that work better for this rig?

3. Tool kits: what are the necessary tools you'd recommend to have on hand for newbies that are diving into dry camping and boondocking?

4. I have searched and searched and seen mixed responses depending on models, but for these Micro Lite 25's does anyone have a definitive answer on towing with full tanks and good bad or ugly in doing so?

5. Hit me with the top one or two things you wish you had the dealer address before rolling out.

6. I understand DO NOT sign anything or take possession until I am satisfied with the trailer, and before that to TEST EVERYTHING. What are the missed tests or inspection items you wish you had gone over during inspection?

Thank you everyone, and hope to see some of you on the road!!

KS Mountain Man
KSMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Using the search function at the top of the page will yield more answers and reading then you can imagine regarding your questions. I'm only going to address #1 get two batteries and if its Zamp its reverse of the rest of the industry.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. First off make sure to do a good PDI you can find this list by looking at the top of screen where you see the green bar. Pick library then scroll down till you see the PDI check list. Print and take with you and take good notes and pics. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:05 AM   #4

W E L C O M E !!!!
Best wishes on your new rig and new adventures to come. COVID and immunocompromises keeping us at home. Envious of those who are safely using their RVs. I’m dreaming of the desert and mountains.

Wear a mask! Social distance! Wash your hands! Stay home!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #5

Get YOUR Hands Dirty

Hope all goes well at the dealer.

After that, hope you are handy...

Most everyone on forums will tell ya, and it is true, you are best served fixing almost everything yourself.

From the W D H to most minor repairs on the wagon...

Google it, ask here, but do it yourself and it will be done right the first time.

I M O.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #6

Hello, and welcome from New Jersey!

A couple of years ago, I read about a lot of folks using the zero-g hoses (they make food grade rv hoses) and I thought I’d give them a try. I bought two colors so I’d not confuse the fresh water from the black tank flush. They work great, fold up easier and store easier than the traditional rubber hoses. Get a pressure regulator as well, they’re pretty inexpensive.

For tools, look around and see what sockets would be typically used in the rig. Add pliers, a Robertson screwdriver, and some duct tape. Make sure you have the appropriate sized socket to change a tire. I applied EternaBond to my roof seams, have some left over and carry it in case I snag a tree branch.

If you see anything during the PDI, make sure it is fixed to your satisfaction before you sign on the dotted line.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

I've got the same trailer. Walk the roof and look for anything suspicious. After I got home I noticed the wifi ranger was cracked. The crack was easy to miss but easy to see on a ladder. There was also some spots that I used the roof sealant on that I didn't want to wait for the dealer to do.

Pull the covers off to check out the hot water heater, water filter, and under the shower. We had a wire that was under the support wood under the shower that would have failed if not moved. Maybe a brake light wire or something it was pretty small maybe 18 or 20 guage.

Check the drains on the sinks and shower and tighten them, ours were just snug.

Our screen door hits the frame if the camper isn't perfectly level and I cheat some out of the jacks. I took a 2x4 and a hammer and wacked it to get some clearance.

Have them plug it in a day before and make sure the fridge is cold. If you have a laser thermometer that is best but you only have a little bit of time once you open the door. With nothing in there to hold the cold, it warms up fast.

Electric cord is a pain to get the collar to thread on straight. Make sure it doesn't have a bad cross thread gouge or it will always be a pain.

Our sink fell out during a trip. Check the joint all the way around. If you handy, its a good idea to brace it up with wood.

Get an extension for the propane connection and use the flat top away from the camper or you'll be washing it everytime you cook.

Tools- I got a tool box from homedepot that had tools in it. Its a pain tonstore in this camper. I'd get a bag and some socket rails loaded with sockets, pack of screw drivers, a screwdriver that has interchangeable tips with the square drives, a breaker bar with appropriate sockets for tires and hitch bolts. Then add any tape, wire, or anything other hardware that you might need. The bag would easily fit in the front storage or side storage. I've got my tool box under the back bunk and if I need anything, its a pain to dig out.

Oh one other thing, make sure your steps are all the way down or the bottom of the door will hit and scratch them up. Remeber some sites might keep that from happening and you have to pull up on blockes to raise the camper up.

Any questions just ask and I'll try to help out.
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

water heater !! make them pull anode rod out while you satch. you can tell if it has been sitting with water in it. my new puma rod was almost 1/2 gone. go over elec for water heater. and gas operation. bubble check all propane fittings for leakes. had a non sealed hose at regulator on 2nd tank.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer. By now you've probably gone thru your PDI and perhaps took they trailer home unless you found issues and you were smart by telling them you'd sign and take it home when it's fixed? If not I hope you have a good service dept. That will fix things afterwards. Let us know how you made out. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #10

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and info! We made it home with the trailer, only issue during pickup was a small drip from the fresh water tank (they replaced entire drain and valve before signing).

Was pressed hard to pay out the wahoo for an extended warranty and gap insurance, didn't buy gap b/c we have full value replacement coverage, and got a 6 yr extended for 30% of the dealer's asking price.

Excited to have our first day in it tomorrow with the kids and start figuring out how best to configure for our needs. Thank you again everyone, and hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!
KSMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:36 AM   #11

Congrats on the new RV! Hope you can get it out before you need to winterize it.

I am not far away in south OP if you need help PM me. I store near spring hill.
1. Solar: skip the prewired it is under powered. Lots of threads on hear to review options and it depends on your needs. Look at GC 6v cells (AGM or wet), or spend big and get lithium. Zamp is wired reverse you can change it but I just skip over the 3ft they put in and wire direct from some suitcase panels. Amounts will depend how you camp. Since in midwest I would skip solar for first year until you understand your usage. You will need AC for most of the season here unless you just go west all the time.

2. Hoses...water any white hose from walmart or other is good. I use this for sewer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5RBRA8..._Pr0WFbC43EGSD to each his own. I am happy with it. Get a pressure regulator.

3. Tool kits:
Not a lot of BLM land here...less than 2% its all farmed. Necessary tools: jack and something to get tire and spare off. You will have a blowout or flat just a matter of time. Rest is up to you but I carry simple HF tool kit and my power tools/attachments.

4. towing I cannot comment on your specific trailer. My 26RLWS was not a cakewalk. Plenty of issues. Hope yours is different.

Camp in the driveway before you put it away. If you need something write it down or get it from the house amd buy new for the house.

Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #12

You'll need a 1-1/16" socket to remove the water heater anode for winterizing. At least that is what I needed for mine. The Anderson leveler is handy for lifting a flat tire. Read some posts about tires. Most recommend you replace Castle Rocks immediately. A tire pressure monitor system is a good investment. You can't feel a flat if you have dual tires. Google Hopkins Electronic LED Smart Level. Inexpensive and it makes leveling quick and easy. A clear elbow for the sewer connection lets you know when you have your tanks clean. The standard sewer lines work just fine for me. If you stay a one location for a long time, with the line installed, you'll want to upgrade. Walmart sells lots of RV supplies much cheaper than dealer or Camping World. A plastic mat at the base of your stairs will keep your RV cleaner. Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #13

Congratulations on you new RV. Wish you luck in getting out before winter settles in there. Enjoy many years of camping with it and thanks for the post pickup update.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #14

Similar to Ole_Blue, our sink also dropped. And the heat duct by the fridge did not blow air. The dealer fixed both. We bought a child-sized plastic sled from Amazon to store the sway bars and leverage tool in the front pass-thru compartment. We also replaced the Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance. We are about to replace the crappy Dometic 300 toilet with a 310 while it’s still under warranty. Having a hard time finding someone to do the work.

Good luck with your new 25BRDS!
nbudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #15
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

NEWBIE Picking up 25RBDS this weekend

Have them hook it up to water and flush the faucet lines, all of them. Then have them remove the screen on faucets to remove the sawdust that will have accumulated during construction. Do it.

Update, hope it went well. I missed the date.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #16

I have a 2509 (same thing). A tool set with a good set of box wrenches, and an assortment of sockets is essential. A 1/2" 3/4" socket is probably my most used tool. Lug nuts, stabilizer jacks, manual crank on the tongue jack.

As for towing with full water, I dry camp on our family property often but we have electricity. I fill up about 10 miles from there and take my time. The older mini/micros had inadequate supports but I think they've fixed that. Almost all the weight is on the tongue so I wouldn't go far with a 1/2 ton truck. These things are already tongue heavy, and you'll be well over 1000lbs on the hitch when you fill up.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags