Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #121

Just to weigh in on Airdale #119 comments, that is great info provided but would like to add a couple of things. First, I am new to the 5er, only about 11k miles experience since Jul 2017. From what I have seen online, there are many, many folks that use LT tires on TT & 5ers (each to their own) however......ST tires have heavier sidewalls so they, being followers, trail better and typically support more vertical weight when or as necessary. Second, I replaced my original tires after 5k because there was no safety factor and tire failure concerns. I understood from several folks in the trucking industry that they "normally" look for a 15% safety factor. I chose a 15% safety factor but I suspect 10% is probably adequate and if that was an industry standard, there would likely be very little continuing discussion regarding tire failures. For what it is worth, I installed a TPMS and found the original tire temperatures frequently ran 125 to 135 degrees (60-65 mph) at 80 psi (tire max). The replacement ST's are 110 psi tires with a 15% safety factor and temps may run up to 105 degrees on a 90-95 degree day (70-75 mph).
kaycc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Bigger heavier trailers with 16" or larger tires generally come with LT tires.

Most of the 15" tires will be ST's.
Bigger today means heavier and LT tir s struggle with load capacity. Owners desiring reserve would have great difficulty finding an LT finding one
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #123
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Many of the larger 5'vers are coming with either Sailun's or Goodyear G series truck tires.

My 33-foot 5'ver is under 9900 pounds loaded so I'm sticking with the 15-inch ST tires for now.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer