Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
"Roughing it since 2000"

No more mice!!!

Just took my trailer out of a long winter nap and NO evidence of mice! I used a combination of things to keep them out. I put cab fresh, Irish spring soap and peppermint oil inside and made a bucket trap outside. The bucket trap worked well and no mice came inside. I do know there were mice in the building where it was stored as I caught many in the bucket trap, but none inside the trailer. I have tried many things to try to keep mice out and I think I have found a solution, I will be doing the same again next fall.

Happy camper here!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

Congrats on winning the battle and hopefully the war. Which scent of Irish Spring soap did you use?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
"Roughing it since 2000"

I used the original scent. I bought a multi pack (bar soap) and cut them into small pieces and spread them around. In cabinets, storage areas and anywhere the smell wouldn't travel to being closed up. I really think the peppermint oil was the key to success, however the trailer has been opened up and airing out with a stiff breeze blowing for almost 24 hours and the peppermint smell is still there although it has faded substantially.

I hope this info helps someone, as the mice drove me crazy for the last few years when stored.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

A couple of guys in our car club use dryer sheets when the store their cars for the winter. They stuff them in the seats and lay them on the floor, they never hav problems with mice either.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Resident Masshole

I put moth balls on the ground under the trailer (I park on stone), and inside we use lavender scented dryer sheets. I do the same when I store my boat.

So far so good... And I know we have mice around, courtesy of random carcasses the cats leave around
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote