Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 PM   #21

Photos coming for all our E-Pro 14fk mods

We've been busy, continuing to make changes, including taking the rats nest of wires under the dinette seat and reworking them into a wiring harness, adding lightweight stainless 'overhead racks' above the side windows. We also added another electrical outlet and installed three LED gooseneck reading lamps in the living/eating area.

After a one day and then a two day shakedown a week later, we've gotten a lot done. We winterized the water system and now we'll shoot some photos to post.
Sarahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
We've been busy, continuing to make changes, including taking the rats nest of wires under the dinette seat and reworking them into a wiring harness, adding lightweight stainless 'overhead racks' above the side windows. We also added another electrical outlet and installed three LED gooseneck reading lamps in the living/eating area.

After a one day and then a two day shakedown a week later, we've gotten a lot done. We winterized the water system and now we'll shoot some photos to post.
I can't wait to see what you've done Sarahcat!

The first time I looked under that dinette seat and spied that heap of wires I said, "Gotta clean that up!". But I haven't gotten around to it just yet. Same with the excess of wire at the battery boxes. I temporarily trussed up some of the wire that was hanging along the trailer tongue with zip ties; I picked up some wire wrap the last time I was at Harbor Freight to tame that some day as well.

We took our first official out-of-state road trip with ours at the beginning of October. Everything worked flawlessly, and I was rather content with the way I had organized things. Only made a couple changes. 1) During the trip I "tested" out using a silicone dish drying mat instead of our old pop-up dish drying rack & basin. I liked it well enough to ditch those two bulkier items once we returned home. And 2) I found that our old sleeping bag was just way too warm to use in this camper, as the furnace worked great and the camper held the heat very well. So I took that out when we got home. I had ordered a couple thinner sleeping bags to zip together, but the ones I received were junk and had to be returned. So I came up with a "bed roll" instead. Its a 2 to 4 layer system that we can adjust for year round temperatures, and its a great deal lighter and more compact than the previous sleeping bag. I think its going to work out better for us.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of what you've done!

Old 11-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #23

New Bed Roll

For anyone interested:

Our sleep system had consisted of a large, 15 degree double sleeping bag shoved into a large compression sack, a couple Kelty blankets, and a parasheet. All stuff that we already had from our previous camper and gear.

Our old camper wasn't very efficient at holding heat, so we needed that bag for our cool weather travels. But our new camper is VERY good at holding in the heat, and I found myself boiling in that old bag. I already had a love/hate thing going on with it, because it is so massive that its difficult to wash. So I decided to oust it when we got home from our last trip.

We usually take our cross country road trips in Spring and Fall, and we're likely to encounter a wide range of temperatures in a single trip. So we need versatile bedding that's easy to keep clean and tidy, since we travel with our dog. And I also wanted it to be as compact as I could get it. So this is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	layers.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	218546

Bottom layer - Is a "Shindig" picnic/festival blanket (it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, but there are still plenty of them on the market). It is basically a tarp with a nylon taffeta outer material and a soft microfiber like lining.

Blanket layer - The Shindig blanket mentioned above comes with an additional top layer blanket that can attach to the bottom layer. The only thing is, it is constructed in the same way as the bottom layer, and its CRINKLY! Quite noisy. So, I am using our old Kelty blankets instead.

Insulating layer - Should we need extra insulation for cold weather, I am using a lightweight down filled camp blanket.

Optional top layer - For the time being, I'm including that previously mentioned crinkly blanket in the bed roll. It may come in handy to protect the bedding from a damp or muddy dog, and we can detach it to use outdoors if we'd like. It could also be useful in an emergency as an additional layer of warmth, should we run out of propane, or if the batteries drain and we can't run the furnace while boondocking.

Optional sheet - I'm still bringing along the para sheet for use in warm weather, along with the stuff sacks for the other blanket layers in case we need to pack them out of the way.

Name:	bedroll.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	218547

This is the size of the bundle with everything but the para-sheet rolled up into it. A fraction of the size of the sleeping bag alone.

Name:	self.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	218548

And here's the new arrangement in our storage area. MUCH better!

Side note: That is the total of our stuff for the gear loft. The bin behind the divider holds our dog's supplies and misc. items (combined from the two totes we had previously), the bin along side holds all our games, and then the bedding. We can stack those two bins behind the divider if needed. This leaves the rest of the space open for trip specific gear, like camera, binoculars, day pack, hiking poles, etc.

The drawers, closet, and kitchen shelf still remain empty - reserved for nothing but food and clothes. No excess - no clutter - makes me happy!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #24

Goodbye microwave

We rarely camp with electricity, and never run a generator, so microwaves are rather useless to us. In our previous campers, I've either used it for storing bread and cookies, or removed it. In the 14FK, its only use has been to hold our cook kit. So today I decided to pull it.

I found that they had used matching paneling on the shelf, and had another piece of plain paneling just laying on top of it as a spacer under the microwave. So I did a neater job of tucking the various wiring out of the way, cleaned up the space, and cut the panel to wall up the side (hiding and protecting said wires). I added supports to attach the panel to, and I have new matching doors and hardware on order.

When I get the new doors I'll add a center support (painted to match), and a support on the interior of the other side for mounting the hinges. I'll post a picture later when its done. (One of my other ideas was to pretty up the space and stretch some matching cargo net across there. Which would have been cheaper than the doors.)

Its still just a space to hold our cook kit! But, minus all the weight of that microwave. And we'll probably use the extra space for a food pantry, instead of stashing that stuff on the overhead shelf.

Name:	microhole.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	230068
Old 06-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #25

Finished cabinets

Our new doors arrived quickly from FR. They did send the wrong handles and no mounting screws, so I swiped the handles from our closet. (FR is working on getting me the correct handles.)

Of note: I had seen on the forum where people had troubles with their ePro/GeoPro cabinet doors falling apart. In fact, one of our closet doors had come undone at one corner, so I gorilla glued and clamped it back together. Anyway, FR obviously heeded their customer's complaints and addressed the issue. The new doors now have double dove tail inserts, and seemed to be glued together nicely around the entire framework. Much sturdier, and the center panels don't 'rattle'.

So happy to have the useless microwave gone, and gained so much useable space! Not to mention loosing the weight of the micro.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	230849[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thedoors.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	230846   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	230847   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	1507
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	230848  
Old 06-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #26

Good job on the cabinet door installation!

I owe you photos of the Dometic toilet with bidet, the SS backsplash, the rewiring and creation of topside storage on the right side bench, new showered and hose, removal of almost all exterior stickers and relabeling of the electrical and water ports on that side, adding of the rear receiver purely for a carrying shelf, adding stainless steel bar shelves (very light weight) over the left and right rear windows, and adding gooseneck reading lights in the seating/sleeping are. Other things that don't really photograph: Replacing all five of the ceiling lights with similar lights that have a warmer color temperature, adding a rain shield/scoop over the galley ceiling vent, and installing a Dometic Veranda (screen) Room to the awning and side of the trailer. We completed the last of these items and took the trailer back to storage when we were in for days of rainstorms. I really will shoot photos when we fetch the trailer again. We do appreciate the work you did and it's nice to compare notes with someone with a similar trailer. The size has a lot of advantages and challenges!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
We rarely camp with electricity, and never run a generator, so microwaves are rather useless to us. In our previous campers, I've either used it for storing bread and cookies, or removed it. In the 14FK, its only use has been to hold our cook kit. So today I decided to pull it.

I found that they had used matching paneling on the shelf, and had another piece of plain paneling just laying on top of it as a spacer under the microwave. So I did a neater job of tucking the various wiring out of the way, cleaned up the space, and cut the panel to wall up the side (hiding and protecting said wires). I added supports to attach the panel to, and I have new matching doors and hardware on order.

When I get the new doors I'll add a center support (painted to match), and a support on the interior of the other side for mounting the hinges. I'll post a picture later when its done. (One of my other ideas was to pretty up the space and stretch some matching cargo net across there. Which would have been cheaper than the doors.)

Its still just a space to hold our cook kit! But, minus all the weight of that microwave. And we'll probably use the extra space for a food pantry, instead of stashing that stuff on the overhead shelf.

Attachment 230068
BTW, we bought a 4x8 foot piece of the Ash Ice paneling (the cabinet material) from FR. We actually drove to the factory in Millersburg and picked it up with our utility trailer. We only need a few small pieces, so if you need any, you can have it for the shipping to you.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Good job on the cabinet door installation!

I owe you photos of the Dometic toilet with bidet, the SS backsplash, the rewiring and creation of topside storage on the right side bench, new showered and hose, removal of almost all exterior stickers and relabeling of the electrical and water ports on that side, adding of the rear receiver purely for a carrying shelf, adding stainless steel bar shelves (very light weight) over the left and right rear windows, and adding gooseneck reading lights in the seating/sleeping are. Other things that don't really photograph: Replacing all five of the ceiling lights with similar lights that have a warmer color temperature, adding a rain shield/scoop over the galley ceiling vent, and installing a Dometic Veranda (screen) Room to the awning and side of the trailer. We completed the last of these items and took the trailer back to storage when we were in for days of rainstorms. I really will shoot photos when we fetch the trailer again. We do appreciate the work you did and it's nice to compare notes with someone with a similar trailer. The size has a lot of advantages and challenges!
Wow! You have certainly been busy! Can't wait to see all you've done.

I love our little camper! We had a 14' of another brand that we enjoyed, until it was stolen! We replaced it with a 17' "upgrade", but honestly, I missed our little 14'. So when I found this little camper, I wasn't going to leave the state without it! Its just perfect for two.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
BTW, we bought a 4x8 foot piece of the Ash Ice paneling (the cabinet material) from FR. We actually drove to the factory in Millersburg and picked it up with our utility trailer. We only need a few small pieces, so if you need any, you can have it for the shipping to you.
Thank you so much for the offer! I had considered inquiring to FR about a piece of matching paneling; as my first idea for removing the microwave was to "pretty up" the inside of the hole with matching paneling, then just stretching a bit of matching cargo net across the bottom edge. But....since my hope was to use it for food storage, I didn't really want it open at DOG LEVEL! Even though the 14fk is no longer in production, I was pretty sure they would have the doors, especially since the 15tb has the same door on the left of that kitchen set up.

But, thanks though, I think I'm pretty well done with mods. Mostly, I've been taking things out vs. putting things in! I've even continued to downsize our gear since my original post here. I suppose its the backpacker side of me - not wanting to carry all the weight of extra stuff!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #30

Summer Bed Roll

This year our camper turned into a vessel for Covid-free (necessary) travel, forcing us to camp in the Summer, a season which we usually avoid. So I had to make an adjustment to our usual bed roll, switching out the bottom layers that were way too warm. I opted for conventional sheets, but in keeping with the ease of bedrolls and sleeping bags, I sewed the bottom edges of the flat and fitted sheets together (like waterbed sheets). So I roll it out, snap the corners around the cushions, and DONE. No tucking, no finding which corner of the fitted sheet is the right one, no hassle! Takes about 30 seconds to make the bed.

Name:	Edge.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	235663

Name:	notuck.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	235664

Name:	happy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	235665
Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #31

Table Mod

I also modified our table by adding a leg.

The original set-up is a bit of a squeeze:

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	235668

Name:	orginalsqueeze.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	235669

Now there's plenty of room to get in and out:

Name:	newpos.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	235670

Name:	newgap.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	235671

I could have achieved this by just adding an additional base on the floor behind the original, but, the parts were dirt cheap ($16), and the second leg makes the table VERY sturdy.

Any time we want to switch back to the original set-up, we simply drop a leg and move it forward.

Wishing I had come up with this idea sooner!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #32

Another good idea

Hi again OB!

Another of your good ideas we’re going to appropriate! We already removed the large side dinette cushions and replaced them with the shorter cushions in their place. We now use the rear bottom cushion area for carrying things on the road and we no longer need to find a place for the large cushions when we make the bed. Great idea of adding the second base and leg to move the table toward the rear. We changed the original leg to a more sturdy on that screws into an aluminum base. We’ll ad another base and leg and move the table back as you did.

Yes, I owe you a lot of photos and the next time we retrieve the TT for a trip, we’ll shoot them.

Travel safely!
Sarah
Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes, I owe you a lot of photos and the next time we retrieve the TT for a trip, we’ll shoot them.

Travel safely!
Sarah
I know! I'm waiting to see all the kool things you have done!
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #34

Micro fiber towels are fabulous, quick drying. I use double clip pants hangers to hang them off Command hooks in the BR or off the awning frame to dry.
Where did you find that half moon mini broom and dustpan?
You can find many sizes of paired magnets on Amazon. I added a pair to my two outside hatches. I got the tallest ones I could find to clear the twist latches, so check their sizes.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Where did you find that half moon mini broom and dustpan?
I purchased it several years ago at a local RV parts/service place for about $5. The brand is Camco, you should be able to find it on-line.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #36

Sink Cover

And one more thing I made that I wish I had done sooner... A sink cover! This tiny bit of extra real estate in the kitchen makes an incredible difference. (And no cracks about the team, that's my husband's thing and I could REALLY care less.)

Name:	105940549_3255067737849186_8534356938661740207_n.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	235852
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #37

That plexiglass sink cover is cool. I made one out of wood. I also made a stove burner top, too. We have never used the burners except for testing.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #38

Hatch storage

Storage hatch organization:

Name:	Storage.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	235889

A) Chocks
B) Leveling Blocks
C) Leveling Blocks
D) Jack Crank
E) Dog’s Chair
F&G) Two Chairs
H) Side rail table
I) Disposable gloves and hand sanitizer
J) Bag for hitch insert when not in use
K) Jack stabilizer pads
L) Soft case for locks, pins, cord adapters & LED light
M) Bottle Jack (Cross bar lug wrench and air compressor in truck)
N) Kneeling Pad
O) Bag with electrical cords
P&Q) Two small stackable totes

Top tote contains:

Tool pouch with basic tools & trailer specific sockets
Tool pouch with electrical repair supplies and spare fuses
12v fan
Trowel
Tire repair kit
Small Hammer
Small Hatchet
2 spare cam buckle straps
Sewer donut in baggie
Roadside emergency LED flares

Bottom tote contains:

50’ Zero G hose
Pressure regulator
Hose Wye
Sprayer
Spare hose gaskets
Spare shower head
Roll of shop towels
Microfiber rag
½” Sharkbite coupler and removal tool

Name:	HatchView.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	235888
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #39

Travel straps

And added the travel straps today:

Name:	travel straps.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	235985

Sometimes we travel with the table down/bed made, and this secures the legs while we're on the move.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #40

We’re adding our second leg, too and we will also be happy to steal your leg storage idea!