Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
We’re adding our second leg, too and we will also be happy to steal your leg storage idea!
You won't be disappointed! We just got back from an extended weekend - the first chance we've had to use the camper since my table mod. LOVE IT! Really, unless we need to seat 3 people, we may never use the original position again.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #42

I've added the second leg as well. One leg is too wobbly.

Keep the ideas coming. You have done some great stuff.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #43

We also replaced the original factory leg as well. It’s also a lot easier to get in and out of the dinette. A side benefit of making the dinette into a two seater, we put the two rear backrest cushions in place of the two very long cushions that are not used when the bed is made up. Those two awkwardly large cushions are a total pain and now stay in storage until or unless we find a use for them. Since we use a roll up memory foam mattress topper, we put that at the rear of the table, under the rear window and it provides a ‘chaise lounge’ back support so we can both recline to read, even when the table is set up.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #44

Smile A few photos of mods that I promised Old Bears

I finally shot a few shots of a few of our mods. The galley backsplash was inspired by your post last year.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
We also replaced the original factory leg as well. It’s also a lot easier to get in and out of the dinette. A side benefit of making the dinette into a two seater, we put the two rear backrest cushions in place of the two very long cushions that are not used when the bed is made up. Those two awkwardly large cushions are a total pain and now stay in storage until or unless we find a use for them. Since we use a roll up memory foam mattress topper, we put that at the rear of the table, under the rear window and it provides a ‘chaise lounge’ back support so we can both recline to read, even when the table is set up.
What size/thickness is the foam mattress? I was thinking of doing what you mentioned. Saw a full size 4" today that I almost bought.
I hang the cushions.
To lessen the intesity of the lighting, I put up these led strands.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201031_173206.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	242298Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201031_173717.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	242299
Old 10-31-2020, 07:46 PM   #46

2” memory foam...

We bought a 2” thick queen size memory foam mattress topper and cut it to the size of the sleeping area. We used a serrated knife to make the cuts. The 2” topper makes the bed very comfortable and can be easily rolled up during the day. 4” foam might be difficult to roll.

We found that the long cushions had no value on the road, since we will never have more than two people and two miniature Dachshunds in the travel trailer, so the space they would have occupied is taken up by part of the mattress topper. We tried camping a couple of times and those long cushions were just a pain to deal with.

We agree about the bright lights, so we replaced the OEM ceiling lights with physically identical warm white (3400°K) dimmable LED lights and added a dimmer adjacent to the existing light control panel just inside the entry door. It’s very nice and cozy. We also added warm white gooseneck reading lights in the sleeping area.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #47

Old Bears,
Did you do anything with the microwave power wiring? I’d add a outlet off of that either up the back wall to the counter or face of the counter front wall or both
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Old Bears,
Did you do anything with the microwave power wiring? I’d add a outlet off of that either up the back wall to the counter or face of the counter front wall or both
Sorry I didn't respond sooner Boomerweps, I haven't visited this site for awhile. In answer to your question, no. Ours is a mid-year 2019 14fk and we have the pop-up power strip in our kitchen counter, and there's already an outlet on the kitchen cabinet facing. So we're all set.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #49

Under seat storage bin

So, I finally cut the board on the driver's side dinette over the center of the furthest seat support, and drilled a new grab point. Now when I want to access that space (to clean the water pump filter), I can just move one cushion and lift the board. No more moving half the cushions, taking the table down, and wrestling around the long board. I also had the idea to make/find inserts that I could hang from the seat supports to make a storage space. My husband is in the restaurant biz, so he's keeping an eye out for steam/cold table pans that might fit. I did find a perfectly sized bin laying around the house that I have rigged in temporarily with zip ties. Then one day when the warm weather returns I'll find some hooks or strap in the shed that I can craft new bin hangers with. The idea is that the bin should also be easily removable so I can gain access to the pump, etc. Anyway, I was able put the entire contents of my tool tote, that was previously in the storage hatch, into this new under seat bin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001_edited1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	244677Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1002_edited.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	244678Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1003_edited.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	244680
Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
We rarely camp with electricity, and never run a generator, so microwaves are rather useless to us. In our previous campers, I've either used it for storing bread and cookies, or removed it. In the 14FK, its only use has been to hold our cook kit. So today I decided to pull it.

I found that they had used matching paneling on the shelf, and had another piece of plain paneling just laying on top of it as a spacer under the microwave. So I did a neater job of tucking the various wiring out of the way, cleaned up the space, and cut the panel to wall up the side (hiding and protecting said wires). I added supports to attach the panel to, and I have new matching doors and hardware on order.

When I get the new doors I'll add a center support (painted to match), and a support on the interior of the other side for mounting the hinges. I'll post a picture later when its done. (One of my other ideas was to pretty up the space and stretch some matching cargo net across there. Which would have been cheaper than the doors.)

Its still just a space to hold our cook kit! But, minus all the weight of that microwave. And we'll probably use the extra space for a food pantry, instead of stashing that stuff on the overhead shelf.

Attachment 230068
Hi! Great job on the conversion! We're looking to do the same on our 19FBS with the Newport Ash finish like what you have - can you share the info on how to get in touch with FR for the parts? We would prefer to put a door there also (one that opens upward like our overheads above the sofa and kitchen) I emailed to my dealership because I couldn't find anything that made sense on FR's website. You'd think they'd make it easier to find the information for stuff like this - heh.

Thanks in advance!
CJGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGray View Post
Hi! Great job on the conversion! We're looking to do the same on our 19FBS with the Newport Ash finish like what you have - can you share the info on how to get in touch with FR for the parts? We would prefer to put a door there also (one that opens upward like our overheads above the sofa and kitchen) I emailed to my dealership because I couldn't find anything that made sense on FR's website. You'd think they'd make it easier to find the information for stuff like this - heh.

Thanks in advance!
I just clicked on the, "contact us", link on the website, sent a note to customer service, and they put me through to parts. I no longer have those e-mails to give you a direct link, but here's the customer service phone number from the site: 574-642-8943

I believe they changed up the finishes in the newer models, so I don't know if the color like ours is still available. Had a bugger of a time getting the matching handles from them. They screwed it up twice, so I just used the handles from the closet to match the rest of the kitchen stuff, and put the odd-ball set on the closet where it isn't noticeable. And they didn't send mounting screws with ANY of the hardware. So, you'll have to ask specifically if you want them to be included.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
I just clicked on the, "contact us", link on the website, sent a note to customer service, and they put me through to parts. I no longer have those e-mails to give you a direct link, but here's the customer service phone number from the site: 574-642-8943

I believe they changed up the finishes in the newer models, so I don't know if the color like ours is still available. Had a bugger of a time getting the matching handles from them. They screwed it up twice, so I just used the handles from the closet to match the rest of the kitchen stuff, and put the odd-ball set on the closet where it isn't noticeable. And they didn't send mounting screws with ANY of the hardware. So, you'll have to ask specifically if you want them to be included.
Thanks for the info! I still haven't heard back from our dealership regarding whether they can get us the door, so I'll be reading out to FR directly.
CJGray is offline   Reply With Quote