Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Outside Tv Hookup

Has anyone had trouble getting the antenna TV to play outside? I tired a few different hookup inside but noting seem to work outside. The inside antenna works fine. Seems like its just hook up to cable outside. I got a 2020 527BH Flagstaff camper.
Blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister View Post
Has anyone had trouble getting the antenna TV to play outside? I tired a few different hookup inside but noting seem to work outside. The inside antenna works fine. Seems like its just hook up to cable outside. I got a 2020 527BH Flagstaff camper.
Check the wall TV Antenna "Amplifier". If you only have one TV installed it should be connected to either the coax connector on the face of the amplifier plate or to a terminal on the back of the plate with the amplifier circuitry.

If you have a second inside TV or outlet it will be connected to a splitter along with your outside tv outlet.

Make sure that the cable coming from the antenna is attached to the connector marked ANT. TV-1 will usually go to the nearest TV and TV-2 will go to second TV. If no second TV this can go directly to the outside outlet. If there is a second inside TV outlet then TV-2 is connected to the input of the splitter then the outputs go to the separate outlets.

In my last two trailers I've had splitters installed incorrectly and in both cases weren't even required.

Also, it may be necessary to check the continuity of the coax as well as for a short. With a multi-meter, and both ends of the coax disconnected check for a short using the OHM's function. Then attach a small power source, like a 9V battery with wires and alligator clips attached, to one end of the coax. One clip to center wire, other to body of connector. Go to other end and check for voltage at the connector using DC VOLTS function.

Not unheard of for a coax to have a broken center wire due to mis-handling and also have a nail or screw put through it during the manufacturing process.

If the coax is defective between antenna amp and outside outlet it is sometimes possible to attach a new piece of coax to the end of the bad one using a male/male connector and pull the replacement through the wall using the old one. No guarantee, just a possibility as most coax isn't really secured in the wall like ordinary wiring.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote