Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #21

Ever driven a NA diesel??

Blech

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #22

F150 EB

The Heavy Payload package (2,393) and Max Tow (11,200) beef up the drive train, extra leaf and axle rating. Didn't need air bags for a ton of pellets several times a year. 5r has a pin weight of 1,550, makes a great combo.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
Ok, this seems like a topic that won't quit. We bought a Rockwood fiver model 8280WS. Dry weight comes in about 7800 lbs. Figure we added about 1500 to that, so thinking 9300 lbs total. (Will know soon - getting the whole shooting match weighed on April 29) Our truck is a 2014 ecoboost with heavy duty tow package (larger rad, tranny cooler, slide out mirrors, and sway bar), 6.5' bed and super crew cab. Also a 3.73 rear end (which is what you need to achieve the 11,300 tow capacity. The new ones have a 12,000 lb tow capacity because of a lighter truck.) We added half of a Timbren support on the rear axles to help a bit. Still have the other half - just did not want to be bouncing around when not towing. We are full-timers coming up on two years. We have towed this rig from Ohio to WV, Tennessee (Great Smoky Mountains), across to Colorado through the mountains, over to Utah, down to AZ, then up the California coast to Washington, on to Glacier National Park, across to Colorado again, over to Michigan, and now wintering in Florida. This summer we are hitting the Smokies again, the Catskills, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. In 2017 we are going west again to Colorada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and on to Alaska. We'll winter in AZ after that trip.

This thing pulls like a champ. No problems in the mountains, no hesitation to pull when I want it to. Have passed many a motorhome going up those mountain highways. Have also been through the backroads in WV. Not that I would want to do that again, but we did it without a hitch. We get 10.5 while towing, and combined city/highway about 19 mpg.

We now have 50,000 miles on the truck, and I figure between 8,000 and 9,000 on the trailer. Unlike many, we got the right rig the first time, and the right truck to tow it with. Figure we'll get another 20,000 on the tires of the truck before requiring new ones. Zero problems on both the truck and the rig. Oil still running clean, although I change it every 5,000 miles despite Ford saying it is good for 10,000.

When not towing, the truck rides like a limo, which is the key reason we bought it. Only 9,000 on the trailer, but 50,000 on the truck. Wife can drive it easy-peasy. Neither of us wanted one of those big honking diesels - but I can understand those who do. We are small folks, so it all works well for us. Love our full size queen and all the room we have compared to our Airstream buds!

Hope that helps you a bit.
X2, I have the same config and have done the Rockies twice and the Appalachains twice a year. Runs like a thoroughbred in the mountains. Dont listen to the usual 3/4 and 1 ton bigots if you are towing less than 9,500 LBS. That gives you 20% in reserve with the latest models.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:59 AM   #24

While I can appreciate that the F150 can be beefed up and provide a very good tow vehicle for the weight class you're in. Make sure to consider another aspect.

I see you're buying a bunkhouse. I assume that means family. I don't know you're particular situation, but moving to a bigger trailer happens to A LOT of us.

If you already owned an eco-boost, it's a no-brainer. But I offer that since you're not into either, maybe you should also take into account getting a truck that will tow the NEXT trailer you buy. Nothing worse then catching the bug, and then realizing you'd have to change trucks as well.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
While I can appreciate that the F150 can be beefed up and provide a very good tow vehicle for the weight class you're in. Make sure to consider another aspect.

I see you're buying a bunkhouse. I assume that means family. I don't know you're particular situation, but moving to a bigger trailer happens to A LOT of us.

If you already owned an eco-boost, it's a no-brainer. But I offer that since you're not into either, maybe you should also take into account getting a truck that will tow the NEXT trailer you buy. Nothing worse then catching the bug, and then realizing you'd have to change trucks as well.
Excellent perspective in my opinion.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondago View Post
FWIW here is my two cents. Used to have the EB and towed a 6k trailer. Towed very nicely, etc. but I ended up trading after speaking with a customer at a Ford dealer. He had the EB for a couple years at the time and towed everyday (lawn service trailer). He started having drivetrain problems and he and a service tech attributed that to the fact that the EB puts out a lot of torque on F150 drivetrain. Think same torque on F250 drivetrain, which is much beefier. Longer life with the 250. The torque on the EB comes from the turbo. He made a good point that if the turbo dies, you are left with a 6 banger. At least you have 8 cyls always with the 250 v8. Even with diesel, if the turbo dies, it's still 8 cyls.
You must have been really itching to trade to listen to a line of crap like that from a random guy at a dealership! First off, the F250 drivetrain is setup to handle the torque of a diesel- almost 900 ft. lbs. The EB is only 420 ft. lbs. Secondly, like Kenny stated, have you ever driven a NA diesel engine? They are EXTREMELY lethargic when setup to be NA. Take one that is designed to be boosted and it will be one serious turd.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, truck