Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Still can't see how using a macerator and hose is too much trouble considering the amount of trouble involved with a portable tank.

I think the OP has a real surprise in their future. I hope they don't sell the macerator pump and hose.
Having used both, I agree 100%.

I think if I was in the OP's situation, I would get my macerator hose onto a winding hose reel to make deployment and retrieval easier. Just pull from the camper to the sewer connection and then just roll it back on the machine. Maybe something like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...dler-hose-reel

And then for the macerator, I have quick connects to make everything quicker and easier.

And lastly, my biggest annoyance of using the macerator is opening my batteries and connecting power. I've been intending to run Andersen connectors back to the spot where my sewer outlet is. That'll make it even easier.

But, the OP needs to do what they want. Sounds like dieseldodge is going with a sewer tote no matter what we say. I'm interested to see how it works for him.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #22

I have the flojet macerator pump. I have a 35 gallon tote. Can you drive to the septic dump with a truck? If so you can do what I do. I put the tote into the bed of the truck and I pump into it using the hose that I bought just for this. I then drive to the dump and using the extra long dump hose I installed on the tote, dump into the septic. I'm pretty sure that the flojet will pump uphill anyway and 75 feet is not a problem, if you want to do it that way.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #23

Ok.....perhaps I need to tweak things here a bit. Is using a poop tote that much 'trouble'? They appear to be pretty straight forward. My concerns in using one at my location was the somewhat rough terrain (forest) and going uphill a few feet with it (over a 75 foot distance). But with 12 inch wheels all around, pulling something approaching 300 pounds doesn't sound all that difficult....does it (assuming I can get the trailer dolly to work with the tank)?

I should be able to dump the entire black tank into the tote without worry of overflow. Dealing with the clean up and grey water may require a little talent on my part.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
Ok.....perhaps I need to tweak things here a bit. Is using a poop tote that much 'trouble'? They appear to be pretty straight forward. My concerns in using one at my location was the somewhat rough terrain (forest) and going uphill a few feet with it (over a 75 foot distance). But with 12 inch wheels all around, pulling something approaching 300 pounds doesn't sound all that difficult....does it (assuming I can get the trailer dolly to work with the tank)?

I should be able to dump the entire black tank into the tote without worry of overflow. Dealing with the clean up and grey water may require a little talent on my part.
What kind of trailer dolly do you have?
Hand operated or battery driven?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #25

Don't have anything yet, just looking to perhaps get one of those $50 boys from Amazon
Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

get an old lawn tractor on eBay you can keep there, and use it to tow the cart with the tow bar the cart comes with. I use my garden tractor to pull my 28g Rhino cart across lawn to septic tank. I can't imagine pulling that thing by hand.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:

I was going to ask about the clean-up. Is there a fresh water source at the septic inlet? Once you dump the tote the inside will need to be cleaned out as they never 100% empty.

We dry camp quite a bit and waterfront is our priority. Often leaves us a ways from a bathroom and beyond DW's walking range so I am no stranger to the tote. When I empty black water into the tote I always leave room to also dump some gray water to clean out the integrated tote hose as it makes it less messy when I get to the dump station.

After I dump at the station I then rinse out the tote with the provided non potable hose and re-dump. You've probably already considered all this but thought I'd add my 2 cents just in case.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Don't have anything yet, just looking to perhaps get one of those $50 boys from Amazon
Well 300# is heavy for moving anything by hand.
Ever moved a wheelbarrow full of cement or a wagon full of cement blocks?

And while you might be Mr. Big & Strong today, wrench your back or pull a muscle and it all can change in an instant and that 300# now becomes impossible.

I believe you can do what you are thinking of.
How long you can do it may be questionable.

I'd be making plans and spending my money to have something in place that should the need for someone not so big and strong having to do it, it would be feasible.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #29

Still have the macerator, just considering alternatives. I suspect the true weight of the tote would probably be more like 200 pounds rather than the max possible (300 pounds) since the tank monitors on the Flagstaff are as bad (inaccurate) as any we've had.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Still have the macerator, just considering alternatives. I suspect the true weight of the tote would probably be more like 200 pounds rather than the max possible (300 pounds) since the tank monitors on the Flagstaff are as bad (inaccurate) as any we've had.
Or... just drain each tank into the tote every day and maybe you'll only need to deal with 100#.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #31

You bet.....every day.....
Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #32

Well.....thanks to all that offered their two cents worth. The consensus here seems to be that I've lost my bloody mind! Perhaps...….but I may still give it whirl. If it turns out to be as everyone predicts, I'll have a tote as a backup to the macerator.....which as I understand it have a dubious lifespan.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #33

i have a tote 32 gallon Barker, works well also have a macerator as well, between the 2 i will use the macerator any time i can much easier to handle over a 200+ lb tote
if i had a permanent site i would run a 4 inch pvc line and tie into the sewer line just because in am lazy
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i have a tote 32 gallon Barker, works well also have a macerator as well, between the 2 i will use the macerator any time i can much easier to handle over a 200+ lb tote
if i had a permanent site i would run a 4 inch pvc line and tie into the sewer line just because in am lazy

My Dad used to tell me that most of the useful inventions occurred because someone was "lazy". It can be a good thing at times.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Well.....thanks to all that offered their two cents worth. The consensus here seems to be that I've lost my bloody mind! Perhaps...….but I may still give it whirl. If it turns out to be as everyone predicts, I'll have a tote as a backup to the macerator.....which as I understand it have a dubious lifespan.
Please do let us know how it goes and share pics of what you build as well as the path you need to traverse.

At one campground, I walk mine about a quarter mile to dump it, but that's on flat pavement. That's a lot different than I envision your situation.

Best of luck. It'll either work great or it'll make some good stories to share!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #36

Quote:
The weight of US dry gallon of water is defined as 9.71 pounds. I haven't done the poop vs. water math thing. I'll leave that for you.

42 gal 4 wheel tote ='s 42 x 9.71 = 407.82. So yep' empty EVERY day.

I think a pump is the way to go. Just leave it hooked up.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #37
The PI Camper

Thought it was 8.34 lbs.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsun View Post
Thought it was 8.34 lbs.
9.71 is A google answer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #39
The PI Camper

So was 8.34 ( https://www.google.com/search?q=gall...obile&ie=UTF-8 )

In the military we used to over estimate and say 8.4 (which is what I use for my cargo calculations and also weight bearing construction)
Old 12-09-2019, 12:12 AM   #40
Retired Old Fart

I would find a way to pump it up to the septic. Otherwise you will be making several trips back and forth for the black & grey plus the clean out flushes afterwards. The tote will work, but it will get old real fast compared to flipping a switch (and you can plumb plastic piping underground to keep the look neat.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote