Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Radio reception AM

Crappy AM reception. Tried to listen to the baseball game on AM our last time out. Could not get reception at all. I should have gotten good reception on at lest a dozen AM stations. FM seems fine. I noticed the radio antenna is on the side, not on the roof like our old TT. Anybody else have trouble?
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #2

I guess I'm it.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Ours is in the rear of the roof. I wouldn't say our FM is premium either. One would think at the size of the antenna you could pull in all the radio stations around. Can't though.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
WFD

G.B....I have the same problem..antenna on the side...like you I like going out there in evenings and listening to ball games...from my driveway I should be able to get a strong signal even without an antenna...crappy little radio in my garage picks up all our local AM stns without issue...

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

My radio was the same way couldnt even get the weather band to pickup, I started searching for problem and after getting in the access area of the radio. I found none of the wiring and cables were very tight just kind of started . So after a couple hours tracing down connection and tighten I got alot better signal...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Our previous travel trailer and our current 5th wheel have not gotten good radio reception, either AM or FM. Reception has been OK when near a city, but nothing to brag about. I always carry a good quality portable radio for serious listening, but there is still a problem. When near the RV, the on-board power converter creates enough static to cover up a lot of radio stations. I have to move my portable radio a ways away from the RV to get good reception. Come to think of it, that may the the reason the RV radio doesn't work well. I may try to experiment a bit and turn off the converter to see if it helps.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

Well, I'm gonna get me a portable radio and DW good set of binoculars. She likes to bird watch and I like to listen to the ball game. A portable radio probably would work out for the best anyways. That way I can set it up near where I'm at and not have to worry about it being too loud bother any of my neighbors at the campground.

Tags
radio, reception