Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Reese Revolution

We have a new to us Flagstaff 8528IKWS with a Reese Revolution pin box. The pinbox is currently set in transport mode. IE: it doesn't swivel. Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have, what are the benefits, if any, of installing the wedge and using the swivel feature? Does it make it easier to back the trailer? Is the turning radius shortened allowing for significantly better maneuverability in tight situations? I am aware that if I go this route I should have a custom wedge.

Thanks,
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Members

The wedge and the "unlocked" pin box moves the pivot point back 22". This removes most cab and nose clearance issues. I have a short box Chevy 5'8" and can turn ninety degrees with no issues. I use the universal wedge with my husky 16K W hitch, works well. Don't need to activate my slider!
Tommy Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

This video should help. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You already know the advantages for a short bed truck and clearance.

As far as easier to back-up... it's really what you get used to but keep this in mind...
It will move the pivot point back 22" so once the 5th wheel starts to turn, it will react somewhat differently (more like a bumper/reese hitch mount) than pivoting directly above the 5th wheel hitch over the rear axle.

Think of it this way... (and I'm going to use guesstimate numbers for discussion) imagine the positions of the pin (both above the hitch and 22" back) if you were looking directly down on your truck bed from the top and started to back up in a circle with the front wheels turned as far one way as they would go.

Once the truck moved back two feet, the pin (positioned above the hitch) probably only moved sideways (short lever) about 1" or 2". In that same two feet of backing up, if the pin was 22" farther back (longer lever) it probably moved sideways 3" or 4".

Also keep in mind towing. Experience has shown if the pivot point is near or above the rear axle, stability is greatly increased and sway is decreased. The farther back you move that pivot point towards the rear bumper, the longer the lever arm you have from the contact point to throw you around.

Better or worse... only you can decide.

My vote is for directly above the hitch whenever possible.
There is a reason all tractor trailers hitch this way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. Makes sense.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
WFD

I agree with 5picker...it's what you get used to. It's a different story for those that have a short box and have concerns about cab clearance. I have a 6.5' box and although I have a slider hitch, and have had it since before we had our current trailer with the Reese Revolution, I have never had to engage it. But I have it if ever I get in that situation.
I tried the Reese Revolution with the wedge that came with it. Tried it for a while and really didn't seem to make much difference for me. Then the wedge was giving me a bit of grief and I realized if I wanted to continue with this I would need a custom wedge. I went back to using the pin box in it's normal mode, and have never bothered to get a custom wedge.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post
We have a new to us Flagstaff 8528IKWS with a Reese Revolution pin box. The pinbox is currently set in transport mode. IE: it doesn't swivel. Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have, what are the benefits, if any, of installing the wedge and using the swivel feature? Does it make it easier to back the trailer? Is the turning radius shortened allowing for significantly better maneuverability in tight situations? I am aware that if I go this route I should have a custom wedge.

Thanks,

I just reread your post and noticed that you stated: "Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have". Do you have an 8', 6.5', or 5'8" bed. It appears from your statement that you have a 8' bed which eliminates the need to unpin the hitch.

The custom wedge statement is also a question. I have been visiting local FR retailers and was actually looking at this hitch installed on a Flagstaff. The hitch was pinned as yours is and when I was looking I noticed there was also a wedge bolted to the underneath of the hitch. I could be wrong but I thought the salesman said it was a universal wedge that could be used for all 5th wheel plates but maybe not??
Bob & Cindy
Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

I have the 8', actually 7'8" bed with a Curt 5e hitch on a slider bed so clearance was never an issue. The question, which has been answered had to do with maneauverability. This is our first 5th wheel rv. The previous three were motorhomes and at my age the learning curve to handle, and especially back up something this big is rather long. Don't get me wrong, I can do it sometimes with many stops and starts. So, looking for anything to make it eaisier. As far as the wedge, it is there but from what I've read here the custom wedge is quieter and more stable. But thanks to all that replied, I'm going to forego the swivel feature and just practice a lot.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

So just a thought if you wanted to try something different without unpinning the revolution just unlock your slider and slide to the maneuvering position. Since you already have the slider hitch you may be able to take advantage of this feature even though you wouldn't normally use it. This would give you an idea how much extra movement you can get by just moving the trailer back 12" with the slider.

I have the same Curt slider and liked it until I changed to a fixed hitch.
Bob & Cindy
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
Riverss

i have the B&W patriot hitch mounted on rails in a short bed 2015 Ram with a Rockwood 8299BS with the sidewinder and use the B&W wedge and like it. I was going to use the B&W companion hitch that uses the gooseneck turnover ball attach point but the attach point is not engineered to take the rotational stress that is put on it with the sidewinder type hitch so i scraped that idea. the Reese sidewinder can only be used with the factory 4 point puck system or the 4 point rail system. there are various custom wedges that can be sourced at e-trailer for your particular hitch.personally i like the pivot point located in a more aft position.
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Tuskstar

I have f250 6.5 pulling 8528ikws b&w companion. I wonder if I should have gotten a slider. Haven't pulled with it yet.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskstar View Post
I have f250 6.5 pulling 8528ikws b&w companion. I wonder if I should have gotten a slider. Haven't pulled with it yet.
Well if you haven't pulled with it yet it's not to late to take it back and trade for the slider. You already know it's gonna cost more but more options are sometimes a better choice especially when your trying to park the rig in a real tight area.

Like others have said it's better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.
Bob & Cindy
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskstar View Post
If you utilize the Revolution part if the 5th wheel pin box, there is no need for a slider. Should you decide to keep the Reese Revolution pinned and use it as a conventional pin box, a slider may be a good idea.

On the other hand... I do not use the Revolution function of my pin box.
I also have had a slider hitch in my 6.5' beds that has never slid in 20 years of use with 3 different trailers and 4 different trucks.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
I just reread your post and noticed that you stated: "Besides the tow vehicle clearance issue which I do not have". Do you have an 8', 6.5', or 5'8" bed. It appears from your statement that you have a 8' bed which eliminates the need to unpin the hitch.

The custom wedge statement is also a question. I have been visiting local FR retailers and was actually looking at this hitch installed on a Flagstaff. The hitch was pinned as yours is and when I was looking I noticed there was also a wedge bolted to the underneath of the hitch. I could be wrong but I thought the salesman said it was a universal wedge that could be used for all 5th wheel plates but maybe not??
The universal wedge will work with some hitches some of the time. I used it for 2 seasons and bought the Reese wedge for my hitch.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post

Thanks,
I have the revolution and would buy a sidewinder on the next trailer if not equipped. Having a slider takes up bed space and in my case with a 6 3/4 I do not need a slider but having the revolution makes turning a breeze. I would recommend it .
Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #16

I use the Revolution with my 6'9" bed F250.
Even though the turning circle of the F250 is huge (90 degree turns are a pipe dream) I wouldn't be without either the Revolution (unlocked, with the custom wedge for my Reese Titan hitch), or a slider.

The big benefit of the Revolution over a slider is that it keeps the pin weight over the axle, even if the rotation point is behind the axle, whereas a slider moves the pin weight back as it slides.

However, with a 7'8" bed, you shouldn't need either. If I had an extra foot of clearance I wouldn't bother with either, and would just keep the Revolution locked.
To be 100% sure have a spotter with you and find a big open parking/storage lot and try gradually turning sharper, with your spotter checking clearance, until you're sure that you are clear when turning on full lock (or 90deg, whichever comes first)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I use the Revolution with my 6'9" bed F250.
Even though the turning circle of the F250 is huge (90 degree turns are a pipe dream) I wouldn't be without either the Revolution (unlocked, with the custom wedge for my Reese Titan hitch), or a slider.

The big benefit of the Revolution over a slider is that it keeps the pin weight over the axle, even if the rotation point is behind the axle, whereas a slider moves the pin weight back as it slides.

However, with a 7'8" bed, you shouldn't need either. If I had an extra foot of clearance I wouldn't bother with either, and would just keep the Revolution locked.
To be 100% sure have a spotter with you and find a big open parking/storage lot and try gradually turning sharper, with your spotter checking clearance, until you're sure that you are clear when turning on full lock (or 90deg, whichever comes first)
Agreed.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Riverss

stop stop stop did i read your post right you have a B&W Companion ??? if this is the Companion that pins into the B&W turn over ball goose neck hitch then you CAN NOT use that hitch with the Reese revolution pin box. The attachment point will is not engineered for the rotational stress that a Revolution/sidewinder put on it and B&W says NO the B&W Patriot series YES because of the way it mounts in the truck. Great hitches though if used properly
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

Yep agree. If you keep the companion then make sure you keep the Reese revolution pinned always. As far as slider vs non-slider many post and all responses are user inputs that vary greatly.

It really gets down to what you want to purchase and are comfortable using. Just be aware that 6.5' foot beds, or less, have the potential to have the TV and 5er to touch in tight turns. Whatever you decide enjoy your camping season.
Bob & Cindy