Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 01:07 AM   #1

Reese revolution hitch replacement

I've owned my mid bunk fifth wheel over a year I would really like to swap the revolution pin box with a goosebox or even a regular pin box. Has anybody successfully swapped one of these out? Can't find anybody who has.
Kpokor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
WFD

Are you using your Reese Revolution in the locked out mode or as a Sidewinder? If you just want a regular pin box, it can be used that way.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

I've kept it locked out the entire time I've owned the trailer I just don't trust it this is by far the lightest 5er I've ever owned and it's shucks the worst also the most noise from my pin box going down the road I don't trust this thing
Old 04-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpokor View Post
I've owned my mid bunk fifth wheel over a year I would really like to swap the revolution pin box with a goosebox or even a regular pin box. Has anybody successfully swapped one of these out? Can't find anybody who has.
Can't speak to changing it out although I have contemplated swapping the Revolution for a goose box to gain some bed space in the truck. I seem to recall that Reese makes such an animal that is compatible with lighter 5th wheels that utilize the Revolution. I assume you've checked the pin box fasteners for proper torque values? What hitch do you have installed? I've towed our 2016 8529IKBS over 20,000 miles since purchased in 2016 with the Revolution locked out and coupled to a B&W Companion hitch. No noise or chucking. Smooth pull every time and zero concerns. Best of luck.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

When we first got our 2016 8529IKBS with the Revolution, I unlocked it and tried it for a while but I didn't care for the issues I had hitching and keeping the wedge tight. I even bought a custom wedge. I know a lot of folks swear by them but I just didn't care for it. Also, at the time, I was using a Reese 15k slider and never once slide it over many years so clearance wasn't an issue.

Over the next couple years, I experienced the same issues you are complaining of, shucking, clunking and slop and I was SURE the pin box was the issue as I didn't have near all that going on with my previous 5th wheel.

I even contacted MORryde and almost pulled the trigger on their direct replacement with the cushioned pin.

As fate would have it when I traded tow vehicles, I had the opportunity to replace the aging Reese 15k (that I had in 4 prior trucks) with a puck mount B&W Companion and it was like I was in a different world. No more slop. No more chucking. No more clunk and then pop when stopping and starting. It is a completely different experience and one that makes me feel good about towing.

My point... I don't know what hitch you have but you might want to try something different before you give up on the locked Revolution.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedster View Post
Can't speak to changing it out although I have contemplated swapping the Revolution for a goose box to gain some bed space in the truck. I seem to recall that Reese makes such an animal that is compatible with lighter 5th wheels that utilize the Revolution. I assume you've checked the pin box fasteners for proper torque values? What hitch do you have installed? I've towed our 2016 8529IKBS over 20,000 miles since purchased in 2016 with the Revolution locked out and coupled to a B&W Companion hitch. No noise or chucking. Smooth pull every time and zero concerns. Best of luck.
I have a B&W companion hitch I used the same hitch and rig to pull a much bigger toyhauler never any issues I've actually checked and checked the hitch again reese has had a warranty rep to my dealer they've replaced the wear plate the castle but the king pin portion of the hitch according to reese and lippert the only way to replace one of these over engineered pieces of human waste is to weld in a wing set which inturn voids the warranty in getting to trying to see if anybody smarter than me has a better solution
Old 04-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpokor View Post
I have a B&W companion hitch I used the same hitch and rig to pull a much bigger toyhauler never any issues I've actually checked and checked the hitch again reese has had a warranty rep to my dealer they've replaced the wear plate the castle but the king pin portion of the hitch according to reese and lippert the only way to replace one of these over engineered pieces of human waste is to weld in a wing set which inturn voids the warranty in getting to trying to see if anybody smarter than me has a better solution
LOL... well... there goes my theory!

Old 04-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #8

I even bought a new hitch head and I replaced the arms on the hitch base and after seeing a Revolution apart I just generally don't trust it if my wife didn't live the trailer so much with this inflated market I'd just go replace the whole trailer because I'm really not trying to weld a wing set on especially after I offered to pay lippert to do it and pay shipping both ways and they told they still couldn't warranty it just sad this was my first brand new purchase live the trailer but reese and the Revolution ruined it
Old 04-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to phildep32
Love mine and it’s always unlocked.
phildep32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #10

Unlocked - Love my Sidewinder

Towed 3 years with it locked, never any issues (using a Reese Elite 18K hitch with Reese pucks installed in my Ford King Ranch truck bed). Bought a new Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn two years ago and added a B&W Companion puck built specifically for Ram (see attached screenshot). Inserted the aftermarket locking wedge to my Sidewinder over the winter. We just completed our first trip (5 nights) and this config is perfect. On one trip I used the capability to jackknife 4 times! Helps me get the 32' trailer rig around tight corners. Like towing with warm butter! My 10,000lb bumper hitch dump trailer bucks and thumps like an old donkey. This Companion/Sidewinder combo is working like a champ - 5 stars!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.21.45 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	253073  
RedhawkCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
When we first got our 2016 8529IKBS with the Revolution, I unlocked it and tried it for a while but I didn't care for the issues I had hitching and keeping the wedge tight. I even bought a custom wedge. I know a lot of folks swear by them but I just didn't care for it. Also, at the time, I was using a Reese 15k slider and never once slide it over many years so clearance wasn't an issue.

Over the next couple years, I experienced the same issues you are complaining of, shucking, clunking and slop and I was SURE the pin box was the issue as I didn't have near all that going on with my previous 5th wheel.

I even contacted MORryde and almost pulled the trigger on their direct replacement with the cushioned pin.

As fate would have it when I traded tow vehicles, I had the opportunity to replace the aging Reese 15k (that I had in 4 prior trucks) with a puck mount B&W Companion and it was like I was in a different world. No more slop. No more chucking. No more clunk and then pop when stopping and starting. It is a completely different experience and one that makes me feel good about towing.

My point... I don't know what hitch you have but you might want to try something different before you give up on the locked Revolution.
We have a Reese 16K Fifth Wheel hitch. When we bought it it was a slider.

Lots of noise and slop-chucking. Then we got a Reese Sidewinder Pin box, so I took off the slider and replaced it with 2 standard legs. Still loose on the rails.

I bought rubber spacers, noise dampers but he design of the legs cut them after a short time. So, I mounted the noise dampers on a piece of sheet metal and installed them below the legs. Problem Solved. It was the hitch loose on the rails all along.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #12
Canadian Member

I use my Reese Revolution unlocked with a B&W Patriot 18K hitch and a custom wedge. No problems at all but then this is my first fifth wheel so I don’t have a lot of experience. I enquired with Reese about switching to a Fifth Airborne version and they said that you can’t replace the factory-installed Revolution with any other hitch. I suppose you’d have to have a structural engineer design a set of wings to be able to install a different pin box.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 AM   #13

You actually have a VERY good and useful pin box in that Revolution.

If you have the correct "wedge" for your fifth wheel that the Revolution uses, and follow the setup procedure to the letter I think you will find it makes backing the 5er Much easier by moving the center of rotation about 20" aft.

someone mentioned the wedge getting loose. I had that problem as well. It was a nuisance checking they were tight every time I stopped. My solution was to apply some blue Locktite to the treads of the wedge bolts.
Problem Solved!!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
We have a Reese 16K Fifth Wheel hitch. When we bought it it was a slider.

Lots of noise and slop-chucking. Then we got a Reese Sidewinder Pin box, so I took off the slider and replaced it with 2 standard legs. Still loose on the rails.

I bought rubber spacers, noise dampers but he design of the legs cut them after a short time. So, I mounted the noise dampers on a piece of sheet metal and installed them below the legs. Problem Solved. It was the hitch loose on the rails all along.
I hear you.
As I said, I went through a couple years of the same.

Mine had plenty of slop in where it attached to the rails.
I also made rubber spacers (gaskets) for where the hitch sat on the rails.
They were thick enough that you had to have someone stand on the hitch to compress the rubber to get the rail pins in.

Lots of slop in the slider but since I never used the slider part, I thought about just welding everything solid but that would have made removing the hitch assembly a bit awkward.

Here was my final solution back then. Chains, pins & turnbuckles on all four corners of the hitch. That took out all the slop except what was left in the pin jaws. Ultimately, that was still too much for me but everything was completely eliminated by the B&W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch_binder.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	253122  

Tags
hitch, replacement