Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #21

That's good to know for piece of mind!!! Thanks!!!!!
2015 F150 , 5.0 , 3:55 axle
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #22

If they are good enough for U-Haul, who don't want tire issues, they have to be ok.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #23

Switched out my Blow Maxes immediately with Michelin XPS light truck tires. Steel sidewall, steel tread belts. 235/80/16 load range E's Had to go to 245/75/16's to get over 3100 load range on the XPS's. 5200 pound axles so more than adequate. Michelins weighed 40 or more pounds each than the Blow Bombs. Converting valve stems to all metal as we speak. TPMS sensors flexed the rubber high pressure stems enough to crack one causing a leak. Will change them on both trailer and TV. A TPMS is the best investment in peace of mind you will ever put on your trailer. I use EZ Go. Totally wireless and user friendly.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If you are running those 10-plys at maximum inflation pressure of 80psi, you are "pushing it".

Remember, as the tires heat up, the air inside them expands and the PSI goes up even further.

Steel stems, pronto, at least HP stems if not all-metal. It's for everybody's safety, because if a stem lets loose, you'll have a rapid deflation. That could affect directional stability.

{/soapbox}

Pop

Isn't that why the sidewall says "maximum cold inflation"
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
If you are running those 10-plys at maximum inflation pressure of 80psi, you are "pushing it".

Remember, as the tires heat up, the air inside them expands and the PSI goes up even further.

Steel stems, pronto, at least HP stems if not all-metal. It's for everybody's safety, because if a stem lets loose, you'll have a rapid deflation. That could affect directional stability.

{/soapbox}

Pop
Excuse me? Cold inflation pressure takes into account the 5-7 PSI rise when hot. Max pressure on the sidewall means just that.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
Canadian Member

In ST tires, Carlisle and Maxxis M8008 are highly rated. Goodyear Marathons have mixed reviews, some swear by them. Goodyear also makes a new Endurance brand that are made in the USA, but they haven't been on the market long enough to see many reviews. I had good luck with Duro ST radial tires, too.

Your tires are part of the trailer's suspension system. I suggest you only go one load range higher than the factory tires. Going up 2 levels may make the ride too harsh and shake the trailer and the contents more than you want. The higher psi may or may not be something that the rims can handle but going from stock 50 psi to 65 psi, or from stock 65 psi to 80 psi, should be fine.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Excuse me? Cold inflation pressure takes into account the 5-7 PSI rise when hot. Max pressure on the sidewall means just that.
He's not "pushing" the ability of the tires to contain the pressure, he's pushing OVER-THE-LIMITS of the standard, non-HP stems' ability to hold the pressure.

Non-HP type stems max out at 65 PSI. If he's running 80, he's over. As temperature increases that even more, he's farther yet over.

I've got no issue with him running 80 PSI in load range E tires, or even 90.

Stems. See paragraph #3.

You're excused.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #28

Quote:
He's not "pushing" the ability of the tires to contain the pressure, he's pushing OVER-THE-LIMITS of the standard, non-HP stems' ability to hold the pressure.

Non-HP type stems max out at 65 PSI. If he's running 80, he's over. As temperature increases that even more, he's farther yet over.

I've got no issue with him running 80 PSI in load range E tires, or even 90.

Stems. See paragraph #3.

You're excused.

Pop
I appreciate that. I don't every worry about valve stems, all my rims have bolt in metal stems those are good for 165 PSI or whatever the tire grenades at....

Been there with a stem failure a few years back. I have no faith in any rubber or rubber/metal hybrid stem now. I just went all metal bolt down stems on everything, even my lawnmower.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #29

Comanchecreek, You are fortunate enough to have 16" rims, many more choices than us with the 15" variety. LT is the way to go if you want piece of mind and longevity with your purchase.
cseeger22
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseeger22 View Post
Comanchecreek, You are fortunate enough to have 16" rims, many more choices than us with the 15" variety. LT is the way to go if you want piece of mind and longevity with your purchase.
cseeger22
Did you get your Light Truck tires, Rotiiva AT's.....Discount Tires can order them for $130.00 tire.
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #31
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I appreciate that. I don't every worry about valve stems, all my rims have bolt in metal stems those are good for 165 PSI or whatever the tire grenades at....

Been there with a stem failure a few years back. I have no faith in any rubber or rubber/metal hybrid stem now. I just went all metal bolt down stems on everything, even my lawnmower.
But "creedstar", above, to whom I was addressing the issue of stems in Post #6 above, tells us that he still has the rubber stems.

I don't understand why you took me "to task" with the "Excuse me" comment in Post #25 above, unless you somehow thought I was addressing you, instead. Maybe you replied before you read my entire post.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #32

Paverdave, I did get my Nokian tires from Discount Tire, even "comped" them down to $116 as I could have ordered them from Wal-mart for $117 ! I am impressed with Discount Tire.
cseeger22
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Paverdave, I did get my Nokian tires from Discount Tire, even "comped" them down to $116 as I could have ordered them from Wal-mart for $117 ! I am impressed with Discount Tire.
cseeger22
Thanks....Going to be buying the same LT tires
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #34

Castle Rock Tires

Only 200 actual miles on this Castle Rock tire and we picked up a small nail which punctured completely through. Normally, on a non-China-bomb tire, this would have been easily repairable. However on this this tire it caused a 3 inch split/crack across the width of the inner construction of this tire rendering it completely unrepairable! The photo is somewhat obscure but if I could have got someone to push-in the outer surface of the puncture the major damage to the tire's construction would have been clearly evident. Had I not noticed the nail head when I did, as soon as it loosened enough there is no doubt in my mind that the tire would have just blown apart!

Full set of "Carlisle's" now on order!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	137056
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #35

Guess I made the right decision to replace mine. How old were your tires? I assume it was new with only 200 miles.
2015 F150 , 5.0 , 3:55 axle
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #36

Mikdor1,
They were slightly less than one year old and really did have only 200 miles on them, as our TT was custom ordered and was new last May. It arrived at our dealership from the factory on a flat-deck. Due to family illness we have yet to use it and the unit has only made a couple of round trips to the dealership for warranty work. I have had lots of tires get nails & screws through them over the years and they have never done as much damage and were always repairable. Even had it happen once on a (made in USA) Goodyear "Marathon" and it was easily repaired. I had asked our dealer if we could order this unit with MAXXIS or Carlisle tires and pay extra but was told that Forest River would not entertain the idea. Guess they must have a contract in place???
Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #37

Tire Replacement

KCDelan,
Don't waste your money on any "ST" trailer tire to replace the one you lost. Find a Nokain tire dealer (Discount Tire for Me), and put on a set of LT Nokian Rotiiva AT's. Only tire I have ever found in a Light Truck tire 15" rim with a 116 load rating, more than enough for your camper. Check Nokian out on line, interesting company and how they have evolved. Any other tire in a ST is just going to eventually give you trouble, buy the peace of mind and reduce the likely hood of any more tire issues when you upgrade to these tires. Got mine ordered, having them put on this week! cseeger22
Old 05-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #38

Quote:
KCDelan,
Don't waste your money on any "ST" trailer tire to replace the one you lost. Find a Nokain tire dealer (Discount Tire for Me), and put on a set of LT Nokian Rotiiva AT's. Only tire I have ever found in a Light Truck tire 15" rim with a 116 load rating, more than enough for your camper. Check Nokian out on line, interesting company and how they have evolved. Any other tire in a ST is just going to eventually give you trouble, buy the peace of mind and reduce the likely hood of any more tire issues when you upgrade to these tires. Got mine ordered, having them put on this week! cseeger22
Problem is that my tires size is, ST225/75R15 "D" and the Nokian is a LT235. This makes it 4.5% larger overall. My reputable tire expert here claims that you should never exceed a 3% difference in tire size on trailer dual axles. First choice would have been "Maxxis" but they are not available anywhere here in Western Canada.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #39

kcdelan,
Not going to argue with your EXPERT tire dealer, but understand this, the tire industry wants you to buy trailer tires, they make a killing with them. Within 5 years everyone who buys them, must buy more because they won't last. Realize also that the difference between a 225/75R15 & a 235/75 R15 is minimal. Wider(.8") and diameter (.6") yes, but those small amounts will not be an issue with a tandem, unless you have really small clearances on your trailer. Many people up size their automobile/truck tires by one size and no one knows the difference. I have 265/75 R16's on my Chevy Suburban, it came with 245/75 R16's, my speedometer is off by about 1.5 mph, but that is the only negative I have found. I am not even going to mention the speed rating difference that NO even considers, or knows about! Nokian is the only tire manufacturer that can be found to even offer the tire I recommended, why ... because the RV & tire industry made it that way so that WE have to buy the junk they sell. Nokian is headquartered in Finland, they still have heavy trucks running 15" tires in Europe, so they make them! Do what you want, but at least look at this opportunity to have quality and peace-of-mind with your trailer tires. You cannot believe everything you are told, many have an agenda, the spin stops with me on trailer tires, been along side the interstate changing ST tires too many times and have never had anything close happen to my LT tires. Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #40

Quote:
, been along side the interstate changing ST tires too many times and have never had anything close happen to my LT tires. Good Luck!
I have over 100,000 pulling campers over 42 years ~~ TTs to 5ers and never even a flat. All on ST tires. If you changed more than 1 Tow Max or similar without getting rid of all 5 you should change a bunch. Running Carlisle STs and love them. Only 2 people run those you mention ~~ good luck with them. Nearly every tire problem is operator error. Many times beginning at the factory with cheap tires being run hard under inflated to the selling dealer.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires