Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Roof Bubbles on 2016 Flagstaff-831 BHDS

Hello Camping Friends,

My husband and I just purchased a brand new 2016 Forest River Flagstaff-831 BHDS travel trailer yesterday (brand new). As my husband was inspecting it today, he noticed multiple bubbles the size of a foot. It is the alpha roof system???? It is brand new (on the lot for 9 months) but we just purchased it yesterday. We are upset to notice these on the 2nd day of having it. We have Googled multiple things and they all say something different. Some say it's normal, some say it's not.

Do any of you have experience with these on a brand new camper? Is this normal?

If it's not normal, what's acceptable to be handled in this situation since it is a brand new camper?

We are so disappointed and ready to go camping but are concerned to have a brand new camper with problems already.

Thanks for any advice!!! We love the camper otherwise!!!
sccampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

I made the same upsetting discovery when I first went on the roof of my new Flagstaff, but it turned out to be quite normal. I emailed the factory with pictures and found out the roof was not glued down to allow for expansion and contraction.
Since I do not know if you have the same type of roof as mine, perhaps you could do the same, you would also then have the issue documented with Forest River in case you did have a problem in the future. Also, if you post your model number, another owner may be able to confirm the roof bubbles are normal, or if it is something that needs to be addressed.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Alpha Roof

X2 what backin15 said.
Although my Alpha roof system is on a 5th wheel (8529 IKBS), I had the same problem. I called FR and they reassured me that it was quite normal and that the roof was only glued at the edges and not all over to allow for expansion and contraction.
When I asked them about the installation of solar panels they informed me that there might be an issue if I ever needed warranty work. So now I am considering portable panels but I am concerned about security issues.
FR also informed me that on my unit that there is only 3/8" of Luan under the roof before I get into the insulation.
I kept all of my e-mails to FR as a paper trail should anything happen to the roof. It might not hurt to fire off an e-mail to them so you could have some documentation should anything happen in the future.
Enjoy your unit and safe travels.
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, roo, roof