Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Route from Athens GA to Tallulah Falls

What’s the best route out of Athens GA to Tallulah Falls?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the route, so I threw it up on Trip Wizard as I was curious where Tallulah Falls was. After trying a couple of different routes because of the grades, it gave me US 129 -> US 23, which I thought might work for you. It does have 4% grades, but that seems better than straight up US 441 where you would encounter 6% & 7% grades about 45 miles into trip. Going through Gainesville, appears will add roughly 30 some miles to your trip, but if you are concerned, this might be your best option.
The grades are graphed below the map at what mile from Athens. Maybe someone more familiar with the area will have a better route. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	224131  

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
What’s the best route out of Athens GA to Tallulah Falls?
Also I don't see what you are traveling with. This will definitely contribute to what route you should take. You can add this info to you signature which will help others on forum in answering any future question you might have on your unit or travels. Good luck.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I'm not familiar with the route, so I threw it up on Trip Wizard as I was curious where Tallulah Falls was. After trying a couple of different routes because of the grades, it gave me US 129 -> US 23, which I thought might work for you. It does have 4% grades, but that seems better than straight up US 441 where you would encounter 6% & 7% grades about 45 miles into trip. Going through Gainesville, appears will add roughly 30 some miles to your trip, but if you are concerned, this might be your best option.
The grades are graphed below the map at what mile from Athens. Maybe someone more familiar with the area will have a better route. Good luck.
Straight up 441 and connect with 23 at Cornelia. It’s a divided highway the entire way and has very little traffic. Going through Gainesville will expose one to lots of traffic.

I drive that route 8-10 times a year with a Ford powered C class and it stays at 60-65 mph the entire way. It’s a little hilly but if the V-10 rolling roadblock can handle it then grade percentages are not a factor.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Also I don't see what you are traveling with. This will definitely contribute to what route you should take. You can add this info to you signature which will help others on forum in answering any future question you might have on your unit or travels. Good luck.

My TV will be 2016 Tundra Crew Max, 5.7 4WD, towing a Flagstaff 21FBRS Micro/lite loaded around 4,200lb. Camping mostly in Florida and S Georgia. This will be our 1st trip in mountain territory.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Straight up 441 and connect with 23 at Cornelia. It’s a divided highway the entire way and has very little traffic. Going through Gainesville will expose one to lots of traffic.

I drive that route 8-10 times a year with a Ford powered C class and it stays at 60-65 mph the entire way. It’s a little hilly but if the V-10 rolling roadblock can handle it then grade percentages are not a factor.

Thanks, that looked to be the best option.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

I live here, take 441 N and mash the gas. Look into Tallualah Gorge for a cool visit.
Geezer Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #8

Also local. It's really a nice drive. Nothing was scary, just took some grades slow. Mostly coming down the mountain, not going up. Great for weekends. Highly recommend River Vista in Dillard.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #9

We pull up that way 4-5 times a year. Not bad at all. I have a sister in Mountain City and we are building a house in Blairsville. Tallulah Falls State Park is a good spot for a few days. Willow Valley RV resort is new and all full hookups a mile north of Mountain City. I would pass on River Vista Mountain Village.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #10

If you have kids then River Vista is a great place to be at Halloween. They may have other events like that but I’m not familiar with them.

It is clean, mostly level sites. Best feature is being a five minute drive from the Dillard House restaurant.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
We pull up that way 4-5 times a year. Not bad at all. I have a sister in Mountain City and we are building a house in Blairsville. Tallulah Falls State Park is a good spot for a few days. Willow Valley RV resort is new and all full hookups a mile north of Mountain City. I would pass on River Vista Mountain Village.
River Vista is showing its age. Dog park is not maintained as well as it should be.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Dillard house for dinner is a real treat. If you are a couple, you'll be sharing a table with others, but it's great southern cooking.

River Vista park was decent about 5 years ago, but spots were small.

Tallulah Gorge is a great visit.

Take a trip up Blackrock Mountain. Just without the RV

You'll have fun... enjoy

Mike
Old 04-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #13

Route from Athens GA to Tallulah Falls

441+[emoji106]
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote