Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Satellite TV Service/Equipment Recommendations

Hi,

I am interested in this service and want to get feedback on type of equipment and provider to work with. I do not own any of the equipment and do not use satellite for any primary home usage. This will only be used during the spring/summer months. I have looked at the Dish "pay as you go" program but would like more info on that or other.

Thanks

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

I have had Direct for years. I have touted them on here. Since ATT bought them, my rates are going through the roof, service is in India and worthless, and I'm becoming dissatisfied. I believe Direct has a better technical operation than DISH, and that isn't going to change. I kept Direct because it was American and DISH is Indian company. But now it doesn't seem to matter.

I will probably change to DISH at some point in the future. I have 3 locations to consider, house, farm, and travel trailer.......so changing is a big investment in Dish's, and time....but I'm about ready sometime in the next year.

I had a separate "Pay as you go" DISH account for a year, and they never could bill me correctly, so I got out of it. But if I had DISH at all locations, adding one receiver to the trailer and getting an automatic dish like Pathway (again) would solve things.

All I care about TV for is watching the Cardinals and the Razorbacks, anyway.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Hello Benchmarks. We had cable at our house and bought Wingard X2 with a Dish vip211 receiver for the RV. The Pay as you go Dish was right at 100 bucks a month, so we dropped cable , changed to Dish at home and then added the vip211 that cane with the Wingard bundle as a second reciever at home for $7 a month. When we travel, we carry it out to the RV and we are good to go.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #4

I had cable at home for 30 years. I wanted to get satellite for the camper. I found the only cheap way was to switch to satellite at home. Got Direct TV at home and saved a bunch of money, at least for two years. I bought a portable dish for the camper and use a satellite box from home in the camper. Works great and I now have TV in the camper and I'm saving money.
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccul View Post
I had cable at home for 30 years. I wanted to get satellite for the camper. I found the only cheap way was to switch to satellite at home. Got Direct TV at home and saved a bunch of money, at least for two years. I bought a portable dish for the camper and use a satellite box from home in the camper. Works great and I now have TV in the camper and I'm saving money.
Was a Directv customer for over ten years and finally got priced out and no longer offered discounts after the ATT affiliation. I switched to dish for our home. Obtain a 3 LNB Dish satellite for free from dish to use on a tripod that I bought online. While getting it initially setup on the tripod can be trying, I am satisfied with the setup. I bought a Dish 211z receiver to use when we are RVing and will call Dish customer service for a service address change for local when traveling. My 2 year contract with Dish will be over in a few years and hopefully can obtain a reasonable price for further service. If they pull the same stunt as Directv, I will again shop around for the best price. If I cannot find a reasonable price, then it will be antenna and Redbox for future trip and HD Antenna for the house.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

I use the Dish Tailgater and they charge an additional $7 per month. Get all the same channels on the road or at home.
kenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

My wife works for AT&T so we will be going with Direct TV and the G2 Plus. Employee discount...pfff we'll see how they stick it to us

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

I have Dish and the Pathway 2 portable satellite. Love both! Because of Dish's new channel packaging we pay about $86 per month which INCLUDES $7 per month for our 5th wheel use and a monthly fee for any service we might need. Have the new Wally for the trailer. Only disadvantages are 1) if the satellite is not used for a couple weeks (not sure how long) I have to call Dish and have them reconnect the service as it disconnects from them. Not sure why but it seems to be standard for their service to do this. 2) Can only record onto a portable hard drive what is on the channel you are watching. Can't watch one channel and record another (the house Hoppers cannot work with the portable satellites, apparently). We overcame this by checking the online guide and setting the Wally to record shows during the times we weren't watching tv. Great reception using the larger dish Pathway 2, even when it was cloudy and raining.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

We have directv at home and just take our Genie receiver and a dish on a tripod. Words just fine and no extra charges other than our monthly service. Sometimes take the wireless router and an extra wireless receiver or two.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

We have dish with the pathway x2 antenna and Wally receiver. Great service and the pay as you go service is very convenient
jasanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccul View Post
Ditto!

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite, service