Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
*~New Beginnings~*

Angry Slam Locks on Outdoor Kitchen being replaced by the 751 locks??

We bought a 2012 Flagstaff 829RKSS camper and its on the 2nd year of warranty provided by the Dealer. We reported and provided pictures of our Outdoor kitchen door, showing that it was warping and had what seemed to be the beginning of a crack in the middle of the door as well. No problem and the dealer ordered a new door and we hauled the camper up there and dropped it off. Late last week we got a call saying it (and a few more oddball items that we had written down on the list) was completed. Upon pulling into the dealership, spotting our camper we were shocked to see the Outdoor kitchen door with the "standard 751" lock on it and those twist controls instead of the slam locks that were on the original door. The dealer said that Flagstaff had "changed" the design of the locks on the doors now and this was what they switched over to.
I am not comfortable having a TV, Microwave, Fridge (beer) and just other things inside this kitchen with the community locks everyone has and it also seems like a downgrade. IMO.
Has anyone heard this?

We did call another dealer just to ask about this and they said they just replaced an outdoor kitchen and FR sent them the door pre-bored for the slam locks just the other day.
so I am VERY skeptical with what they did and extremely NOT happy.

Should I call FR or Flagstaff customer service? Does anyone have a direct number?
I am just not sure how to handle this-- and this isn't the first time we have been less than happy with some of the work they have done. we have until October for the 2nd year of the warranty to be finished.

the door is badly aligned as well on the camper...IMO but after looking at some of the Salem's they carry on the lot... those doors are no way aligned evenly all around the opening... nor flush with the camper wall. what gives??

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I do have pictures as well.

Not so Happy Campers right now...

2021 Cherokee Wolfpack 23Pack15>=<o Ford F350 Diesel Super Duty XLT
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff 829RKSS
👉🏻Don’t stop doing what you love 💕 find a way 👈🏻
#HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Always Learning

Here's FR's warranty contacts by brand:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf
(Most definitely NOT alien infected.)

I'd call your warranty manager and discuss your concerns.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
*~New Beginnings~*

Thank you for the pdf. I will be making the call tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I remember reading somewhere on here about slam latches and outdoor kitchen doors. The portion of opening where the slam latch "latches, like the striker, was allowing water to get in places it shouldn't, thus rotting a few things. Those latches were on the bottom side of the door, 2 of them, so the striker / hole at the bottom of the opening, of course was an opening for water to get in. On our new Silverback, they did not put slam latches on the outdoor kitchen door. Most all the other doors have them. Outdoor kitchen just has the 751 style keyed locks. After observing the other guys rotting wood situation, I saw no need to deviate. I'm fine with them as they are. You can break in a slam latch door as easy as a keyed 751.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Always Learning

Yep, 2 standard screw drivers and pull.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
*~New Beginnings~*

Thank you BigJohnD for the info! I have also been searching around the site looking for any info I can find.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

I wish I could find it, but coming up empty handed right now. Aside from that, I understand your frustrations. You just want it original, and done right, and I agree with that 100%.

Speaking of locks and off subject a little, but you mentioned the stuff in the outdoor kitchen. We have a 5 cubic foot deep freeze sitting under the 5th wheel portion of our camper. I added pad locks to this thing, for 2 reasons. To keep kids out, and to keep honest people honest. I really don't care if they take the dang freezer, just leave all the meat as it's worth a lot more than that freezer is.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
*~New Beginnings~*

Talking

Thank you sooooo much for this document! I found the section I needed and made the call to the warranty person... He was actually surprised that I called him directly. (hahahah) much less knew his email address as well. But the fact remains that FR has NOT changed the locks on the doors--at least not for our camper.

I called back to the dealership-- and calmly discussed our options at this point. After chatting with the owner he actually gave me the name of the person from Flagstaff where this door was ordered. It was also on this document! So it seems she sent the wrong door to them and they assumed that the locks had been redesigned. Regardless we are getting a new door shipped to the dealership-- and the other work will be completed tomorrow-- we can take the camper home.. and when the door comes in-- they are driving down to put it on in our driveway, eliminating another trip. and we can still make our camping plans we had made months ago with some friends for spring break! The original person I called is going to bird dog the door (slam locks/decals and all) to make sure the correct parts get sent in a timely manner to the dealership.

Now this is a win-Win!

Might be a happy camper really soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(Most definitely NOT alien infected.)

Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Plain Old Member

I love to see a happy ending. People make mistakes. I'm just glad they're going to get it back to the way it's supposed to be.

Tags
door, flagstaff, warranty, lock