Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2024, 11:34 PM   #1

Snow

Ive got a 2012 31 footer travel trailer, how much snow should i allow before brushing off,,also can i stand on the roof ?
rv owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv owner View Post
Ive got a 2012 31 footer travel trailer, how much snow should i allow before brushing off,,also can i stand on the roof ?
Not really possible to answer unless we know what make/model you have. I suggest to add those details to your signature.d
Old 02-06-2024, 12:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
Not really possible to answer unless we know what make/model you have. I suggest to add those details to your signature.d
The OP posted this in the Flagstaff sub-forum so they probably have a 31ft Flagstaff TT or 5th Wheel.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:06 AM   #4

I've yet to see a Dealer removing snow from the units on their lot, and I am willing to bet you'll not see one person removing snow from units sitting in fields and factory lots in northern Indiana. If the OP does have a Flagstaff, the roof on a Flagstaff or Rockwood is one of, if not the strongest, roof one can get on a travel trailer.
FlagstaffBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:35 AM   #5

I wouldn't be too concerned. I have only removed snow twice from the TT in 12 years having one here in lake effect snow country. Once was our Christmas storm of 2017. We got 65 inches or so in a week. I just pulled the top of the snow off with a Snow Joe type snow pusher. Was careful around anything on the roof. I have never seen dealers here or in the south towns of Buffalo ever take snow from roofs. We were in Orchard Park for the WNY rv show after the Bill's playoff game and I didn't see any roofs cleaned on the rv lots we drove by.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:11 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned. I have only removed snow twice from the TT in 12 years having one here in lake effect snow country. Once was our Christmas storm of 2017. We got 65 inches or so in a week. I just pulled the top of the snow off with a Snow Joe type snow pusher. Was careful around anything on the roof. I have never seen dealers here or in the south towns of Buffalo ever take snow from roofs. We were in Orchard Park for the WNY rv show after the Bill's playoff game and I didn't see any roofs cleaned on the rv lots we drove by.
Dealers don’t own them. As long as they don’t start to collapse before they sell them, they’ll just wait it out.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
D W

I never let snow accumulate over 4" on my roof. This winter we have had an inordinate amount of snow. I've had clean the snow off it about 7 times since December. All around town regular structure roofs are collapsing, so you can imagine what will happen to a RV roof if the snow is allowed to accumulate.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:18 PM   #8

We just had 60 inches of snow over three days time and I never cleaned the roof off the trailer. My slide was even out at the time. No water inside and now that its all melted I had no issue bringing the slide back in.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Team

I've never worried about snow on the roof of any trailer I've owned in the last 20 years.

It's on a seasonal site and I can't really get to it even if I wanted to because the roads in the CG aren't plowed.

AFAIK, none of the other seasonal campers there has ever gone in and cleaned their roof off either.

The only damage I know of that's ever occurred at the CG because of the snow was the roof of someone's metal gazebo collapsing.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I remove snow from my TT. Snow in itself is not the problem. The problem is snow that partially thaws and freezes into ice. The build up can get quite heavy and damage vents and random plastic parts on the roof.

And then there is snow cover that gets rained on and holds the water like a sponge. It is better to be safe than sorry.

IMO, it is never a good idea to overload a roof either with snow or people.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:45 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Another topic where the answer is an opinion on whether one feels safe with snow on the roof or not.

I've never seen a camper roof collapsed because of too much snow on it and we get plenty in my part of PA. Nor, in the many years of ownership and living next door to a campground, have I experienced an issue over the winter because one did not clean the snow off. I've also never seen one collapsed at a dealership where several friends work.

I'm comfortable leaving it on but I also now have an extension to my garage that I park under so I can't speak to my own real world experience since then.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:35 PM   #12

Thank you all
Old 02-06-2024, 05:45 PM   #13

Just an FYI...it's illegal in Pennsylvania to leave snow on your roof, effective 1/1/24. Used to be you could be fined if it caused an accident. Now it has to be removed and they're watching. Most truck terminals have "squeegee" type setups for commercial trucks.
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:57 PM   #14

Tracer ultra lite,2800 rld wf8900 s2857167
Old 02-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #15

On a related topic, what is the general consensus on using a good quality cover for a TT parked outside for the winter in a snowy region? We live outside Rochester NY and see so many trailers and RVs uncovered all winter. Is a good quality breathable cover preferred from just exposing the entire unit to the elements all winter? I read many concerns over water being trapped under the top of a cover and causing ice and mildew problems. How can a cover provide a waterproof material (especially on the top) and still be breathable?

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie58 View Post
On a related topic, what is the general consensus on using a good quality cover for a TT parked outside for the winter in a snowy region? We live outside Rochester NY and see so many trailers and RVs uncovered all winter. Is a good quality breathable cover preferred from just exposing the entire unit to the elements all winter? I read many concerns over water being trapped under the top of a cover and causing ice and mildew problems. How can a cover provide a waterproof material (especially on the top) and still be breathable?
I did a search for "cover" and found 5 threads on just the first page. It's a pretty common topic that has come up many times over the years.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rchid=15409591
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:02 PM   #17

Thanks Codewriter, I'll follow up with that search approach. No need for further replies from this thread. Still getting used to the features of this Forum.

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie58 View Post
I debated the same and I’d encourage you to read a bunch of threads on the topic before making your decision. For myself I decided against a cover. The cost of a good cover vs. how long they last. Getting a cover on a 30’ trailer seemed like it would be a challenge and the pro’s vs. the con’s seemed like they broke even.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Most campers in mid west are made in upper northern states and sit outside all winter, no body cleans them off!
Not all roofs are walkable! Also greatly depends on each person weightt!
GarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:44 AM   #20

I never remove snow off my 5th wheel toy Hauler and I live in the snow belt of North East Ohio. If I did I certainly would not walk on it to do so as I would have 200 pounds concentrated in two small spots every step where as the snow would be a distributed weight.
I also use a vented cover on mine from November to March to protect it from UV, leaf stain and tree sap.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow