Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Solar?

We have an E-Pro FD19 that is referred to as solar-ready. We do not plan to do a huge amount of off-grid camping in it, but who knows what the future will bring. If you've taken the plunge to buy solar equipment, please let me know what you've bought and what brands you recommend for a 30amp setup. Any opinions appreciated. Thank you!
Laurie Sabol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #2

Laurie, not sure what 'off-grid' means to you, but solar is a way to trickle charge your house battery(s) while you are using 12v lights, fans, etc., but in no way can run your air conditioner, which will require a generator, regardless. Solar is nice and quite, but somewhat expensive for what it actually does....now, sure, some go all out and can spend many thousands of dollars for those 'do it all' solar array installations, but it sounds like just want something easy and small to offset generator usage time...which is what most of us do.

A simple 100w or two panels, whether on the roof, or in storage where you pull them out after you park, is a simple start. Some packages even come with the Charge Controller, and you then just hook it up to the battery bank. Done.

Solar is not a magic pill for everything off-grid, but it can give you more 'time' before needing the generator, which you'll probably run for the air conditioner, anyway, and for topping off the batteries before bedtime. You'll also need it for any usage of the 120v outlets, making coffee or toast, microwave, etc.

These are just the 'realities' of solar. It's a good option, but not a requirement.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #3

My 22MKSE came with a 50 watt "juice pack" panel. It really doesn't help much with charging up the battery when actually dry camping and using all the 12 volt stuff in the camper. However, what I LOVE about it is that it keeps a constant trickle charge on the batteries while stored, as there is no receptacle where I store it. I do plan to do a roof-mounted setup at some point in the future in the 200-400 W range, but that'll probably wait until next year.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Laurie,
Our E-Pro FD19 came with a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and solar controller already connected. There is a port on the starboard (right) side for an additional 100 watt portable panel input if you need one. We haven't needed one yet. The rooftop 100 watt panel keeps the batteries topped off. We haven't yet boondocked in winter so have yet to experience how much drain the heater fan will put on the system. BTW we discovered the WFCO inverter that came with ours couldn't stand the load of the coffee pot. I think the inverter will handle 1,000 watts which is easily used by an appliance with a heating element. Additional solar panels won't fix that.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwright13 View Post
BTW we discovered the WFCO inverter that came with ours couldn't stand the load of the coffee pot.
You do know there are lots of alternatives to using electricity to make coffee?
Coleman stovetop coffeemaker for a pot of coffee, Aeropress for French Press-style coffee and MyJo for Keurig cups, just to name a few.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks bikendan. I'll have to check into those. I'm a tea drinker myself but my wife has to have her k-cup coffee!
Old 07-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #7

I just purchase the Renogy suitcase portable system. Fist time using it this weekend. Not in a sunny site but a am getting some charge. I am putting in more than I am taking out durning the day.
By solar ready do you mean it has a plug on the side of the trailer? Most of there are just a straight connection to the battery and fused at 10 amps. Some are wired reverse.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #8

We have a 2019 Flagstaff 529 5th wheel that has the solor plug on the side for portable panels. Was thinking about getting one of the Go Power kits. Any thoughts on them? Pros/Cons?
TIA
Leslie
Old 07-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Lindell View Post
We have a 2019 Flagstaff 529 5th wheel that has the solor plug on the side for portable panels. Was thinking about getting one of the Go Power kits. Any thoughts on them? Pros/Cons?
TIA
Leslie
Update, Was just doing some reading on different brands. I'm totally new to this so appreciate any feedback. Are they RV specific?
Thx
Leslie
Old 07-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #10

We have the same trailer and this year will be camping at areas that do not provide hookups more than we have in the past.
I ordered the Renogy 100W suitcase portable that I'll be trying out in 2 weeks up in the sierras. My main goal is to hopefully charge the batteries during the day. We won't be using the a/c and actually don't use the outlets very much anyway. Mainly will want batteries for lights at night. I'll post the results when we get back....

Tags
solar