Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Squatters

Maybe I am missing something here.

I would like to stay at some places but they say they are full. With permanent "campers"! Now I'm not downing folks who live full time in their rigs. Matter of fact, I would like to give the full timing gig a try one day. BUT, many places(state parks included) are being occupied on a regular basis by people who have set up "permanent" sites in what is referred to as recreation areas. The link below is about TVA properties; that are along lakes and streams; that have campgrounds on them. I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here but maybe I am not understanding the full scope of the story. What say you?

Government cracks down on campgrounds
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #2

Cheaper to stay stationary than on the move. I still like travelling around.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Around where we live all the private campgrounds have a large contingent of "seasonal" campers who rent their sites from spring 'till fall and usually store their trailers on site. Lots have decks, etc.and are really used as cottages. These campgrounds also have some transient sites, but could not survive on that alone. The nicest ones have a waiting list for seasonal sites, May to end of October, usually. The Ontario Provincial Parks have a limit of about 3 consecutive weeks, I think, but they are also quite pricey for hydro only, somewhere around $35 per night! I was surprised on our last trip when we stayed a few nights at a St. Lawrence River Parks Commission campground to see that they did have some seasonal sites, (again people had built decks, etc,) and that is a government park.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #4

Most of the COE, SP and county parks around here have a two week limit. I thought TVA was going to do the two week limit as well. I didn't know they were making private CG's on their property go to this limit too.

IMO, I think it's a good idea for public land. It is not supposed to be a mobile home park with cheep rent. Two week limit seems fair to me. If Billy Bob owned the land, then what Billy Bob does at Billy Bob's Camp Ground and RV Resort, is up to Billy Bob.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

What I am not understanding is why these people said they were leaving and they wouldn't be back. Can they just not move to another campground along the way. Then come back later. I know these campgrounds are hurting when the sites are vacant and the seasonals help but some of these lands are set up for recreational use for actual campers. I live 1 mile from one of the best state parks in MS and I have to catch it just right to get in. They have a 14 day limit but do not enforce it because they would rather have $$ coming in instead of the risk of having an empty site.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
What I am not understanding is why these people said they were leaving and they wouldn't be back. Can they just not move to another campground along the way. Then come back later. I know these campgrounds are hurting when the sites are vacant and the seasonals help but some of these lands are set up for recreational use for actual campers. I live 1 mile from one of the best state parks in MS and I have to catch it just right to get in. They have a 14 day limit but do not enforce it because they would rather have $$ coming in instead of the risk of having an empty site.
It said they have to leave for two weeks in a years time. So they can stay there for 50 weeks. Then they have to get in the lottery to get back into that camp ground.

I don't even think that is fair. I like the two week limit that I've seen around here. After 14 days they have to move, they can take another site within the same CG for another two weeks.

Again I think it is a public CG, not a government subsidized mobile home park.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote