Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #1

Stabilizer jack for longer slide?

Does anybody recommend the stabilizer jacks for the longer slide with appliances and bed on that side. Bed is used often. Hate to see slide start sagging.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Not needed nor recommended.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #3

You run a risk of bending something in your slide if you use a stabilizer. If you find the TT tilting toward the slide raise that side a little more when you set up. There are several threads on using stabilizers on slides you may want to do a search.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks. I will not pursue them.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

X2 IMHO stay away from them.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

I was having issues with my slide at a campground and was very fortunate to have a forest river service tech camped behind me. He got my slide straightened out and he highly recommended stabilizer jacks. He said to bring the jacks up to just the bottom of the rail then a half turn, he said you do not want to crank it up to the point where it could lift the slid. I have been doing this for the past three seasons and have not had any issues with my slid since. He took me over to his 5er and he had the jacks on both of his slides.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
I was having issues with my slide at a campground and was very fortunate to have a forest river service tech camped behind me. He got my slide straightened out and he highly recommended stabilizer jacks. He said to bring the jacks up to just the bottom of the rail then a half turn, he said you do not want to crank it up to the point where it could lift the slid. I have been doing this for the past three seasons and have not had any issues with my slid since. He took me over to his 5er and he had the jacks on both of his slides.
That's very surprising since the manufactures do not recommend them and some specifically say to not use them. Too much risk of the trailer shifting and causing damage to the slide. A simple flat tire on the slide side could cause major issues.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
Let us all know what happens if/when you get a flat/air leaks out of a tire, and your trailer settles a few inches, onto the jack.
Bet you'll wish you never ever used them.

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

stabilizer jacks

I agree with others that you don't want to put jacks under slide outs. i use to do this until I talked with some of the other people pointing out that it could bend the bars.
jpbrough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide