Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #1

step ladder & waxing

This is my first fiberglass side trailer. Wondering if I can lean a step ladder against the sides?

Also anyone try the Meguiars ceramic coating?

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #2

I've done that with mine. I just put a folded bath towel over the top of the ladder where it leans against the side so it doesn't scratch. Most of your weight is transferred to the ground and only a small percentage is against the wall.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
This is my first fiberglass side trailer. Wondering if I can lean a step ladder against the sides?

I have used Meguiars Boat Wax :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure how ceramic coating would work on Gel-coat surface. Most have advised using a product specifically designed for Gel-coat surfaces, such as on boats.

The Meguiars product I used went on great and buffed to a shiny slippery surface. Put 3 coats on the front of the trailer to reduce bugs sticking!
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

+1 on the towels on the ladder. Pool noodles also work well. Any good non-cleaner wax will work. I don’t have any experiences with the ceramics yet. I do think it will work well on the painted front cap though.

I have used Mequires for a long time with good results. Only use a cleaner wax if you have oxidation. Then regular wax from then on. Kept our 2008 shining until we sold it.

I am getting ready to put a coat on our new 2019 2902WS (sister to your 29RKWS).
Old 07-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:

Probably not a good idea to wax your step ladder

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:

I use an 8' step ladder, in fact just finished Curb side about an hour or so ago. I can almost reach to the roof on the 13' portion.

That ceramic, is it the Hybrid stuff? You need a base coat of wax for it to work, otherwise it washes off after a couple rains. I use Collonite Marine and it seems to have done a pretty good job. Gave it a really slick surface. Now if I wanted to, I could do a Sio2 on top of it so it lasts longer. Sio2 is the compound name for Ceramic coating for those who don't know. Some of them are spray on, wipe down and buff out, some like the Meguiars hybrid are rinse off, spray on and wipe off while the paint is still wet. None are anything like a true Ceramic coat, but they do last longer than plain wax.

I ceramic coating my F150 with CQuartz UK 3.0. It looks great today nearly 2 years later, but there is no way I would go through all that for the trailer, that is a LOT of work! LOL
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:

From a safety point of view I would not lean my step ladder against the TT.
This can slip since not all four legs are on the ground at the same time.

But than you can always find a bottom feeder to sue the ladder manufacture for no warning tag!
Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:

Break down and buy a step ladder. You will need it if you plan to keep your RV. Much easier to use than an extension ladder. I have 4 different lengths of step ladders that I use all the time, depending on the project.
And yes, I used Maguiars hybrid ceramic on my gelcoat end caps, after buffing them to great finish with the Flagship cleaner/wax.
So far I'm impressed with the results. The finish usually only lasts about 6 weeks before starting to fade again. But with the ceramic sealer, the finish has now lasted about 3 months. Applying the ceramic was quick and easy, and so far, worth it!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

I use an extension ladder with canoe pads between the ladder and trailer connection point when I climb on the roof to work up there. But I use either an 8' step ladder or portable scaffolding when I'm working on the higher areas of the front, back and sides of the TT. I've heard good things about the ceramic product for cars and trucks, but have not heard any feedback regarding use on gel coat.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

There are gel coat ceramics for the boating industry that will also work on the RV gel coats. Difference between a gel coat and auto paint is how it is applied. A gel coat is sprayed in the mold on top of the release agent and permanently bonded to the fiberglass where all other paint is applied on top of the metal or fiberglass. In the end it is still a paint, just applied differently. They have created ceramics that have a different bonding agent for the type of paint used in gel coats for marine applications. I don't know if the process is any different for applying it, but the prep is still the same, make the surface as perfect as possible so you don't lock in defects.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #11

I use clean and wax and it is great.

An additional safety feature I use is a window glass carry handle. I has two suction cups and a handle. They hold to 300#.

If you do not like putting a towel on the end of a ladder, you can buy rubber cups that attach to the top of a ladder than work great. Cheap. And, because they are rubber they will not slide easily. They fit well on a Little Giant ladder. A towel will slide very easily.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Probably not a good idea to wax your step ladder

:roflb lack:

Old 07-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #13

I use gel gloss. It cleans black streak easily and it leaves a shine after a little buffing. I is made for gel coat.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:

Anybody have any info on not waxing the decals unless they are the painted on kind as opposed to vinyl.? I have heard that the vinyl decals will show crack marks after a few years if they are waxed.

My vinyl decals on my FR3 are total crap, faded, streaked, totally ugly after only three years and not so much in the sun all year.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Anybody have any info on not waxing the decals unless they are the painted on kind as opposed to vinyl.? I have heard that the vinyl decals will show crack marks after a few years if they are waxed.

My vinyl decals on my FR3 are total crap, faded, streaked, totally ugly after only three years and not so much in the sun all year.
I've always heard that, but I've always waxed them anyway. Even run the buffer with deoxidizer over them. There are so many decals i don't know how you would easily avoid them. Mine lasted about 6 years before they started getting ugly, and mine is in the sun full-time.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
That ceramic, is it the Hybrid stuff? You need a base coat of wax for it to work, otherwise it washes off after a couple rains.
If you try the ceramic route, check the instructions for the product you pick. Several that I have looked at require REMOVAL of all wax and recommend wiping down with isopropyl alcohol before applying the coating.
So, I've looked at the idea and decided that it's more work that I want to undertake.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If you try the ceramic route, check the instructions for the product you pick. Several that I have looked at require REMOVAL of all wax and recommend wiping down with isopropyl alcohol before applying the coating.
So, I've looked at the idea and decided that it's more work that I want to undertake.
Actually pretty easy to remove wax and any other things! Use dawn takes it all off

Old 07-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #18

A note of caution. You're going to want to lean that ladder (with padding) against the strongest part of the trailer.... where the roof meets the sides. Leaning it against the side itself could result in damage.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Depends on what product it is. A True ceramic coating requires a LOT of paint prep, and applying it properly is not that simple. If left to flash too long it creates high spots that can only be removed with polishing equipment.

Spray on ceramics are meant to go on top of wax, or are a combination of wax and Sio2. These products don't last as long since they are not bonded to the paint like a true ceramic. If the product calls for removing wax and an IPA wipe, then its intended as a binding type ceramic, the more semi permanent type of coating. The stuff sold at the parts stores and Walmart are not of the binding type, and meant for the average DIYr.

An example of each type,

CQuartz UK 3.0 is the binding type, comes in a small bottle with applicators. Easy to use, just be watchful of the flash on it.

Reload is a spray on treatment that contains Sio2, Silicon Dioxide, which is the base element of Ceramic coatings. The resin that holds the Sio2 is what is different. It sprays on and buffs off leaving behind a layer of Ceramic and can be applied over anything, and is actually recommended as a quarterly treatment over the CQuartz UK 3.0. Both are Carpro products.

Meguiars Ceramic Hybrid is a Sio2 based spray that is applied over wax, it's resins bind to wax, but not paint, and is activated with water. Simplest to use, wash, wax, rinse, spray and wipe and you are good for at least 6 months, maybe even a year depending on how often and where you wash it.

They each provide some form of ceramic protection, the first being the longest lasting with the most protection from scratches and bird and tree damage. The spray protects from bird and tree damage, but not scratch protection.

Scratch protection is not what most people think though, it protects from minor scratches, such as swirl marks from a dirty towel, or those who have barn cats that slide down the hood would know, protects from those marks from their little paws, the sprays will not.

If you have the time, using the hybrid ceramic sprays are a good idea, it will make the wax last a lot longer, only need to wax it once a year instead of pre-storage and post storage, for those who do that of course.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Break down and buy a step ladder. You will need it if you plan to keep your RV. Much easier to use than an extension ladder. I have 4 different lengths of step ladders that I use all the time, depending on the project.
And yes, I used Maguiars hybrid ceramic on my gelcoat end caps, after buffing them to great finish with the Flagship cleaner/wax.
So far I'm impressed with the results. The finish usually only lasts about 6 weeks before starting to fade again. But with the ceramic sealer, the finish has now lasted about 3 months. Applying the ceramic was quick and easy, and so far, worth it!
Did you read my post? i have stepladders1 Was asking if I can lean against side wall!

Tags
wax