Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #1

Store nose up or down?

Hey all
First time posting. Wanted to begin by saying thank you for much of the good info I’ve found throughout here. However, after much searching, there is one answer (or opinion) I can’t seem to find…

Live in the northeast (NH). Have to store it outside. Bought an RVMasking cover off Amazon. Seems decent. Winter will tell. But for the duration of winter. Would you jack nose up or drop it down? Keeping in mind the AC causes the cover to have a slope over the middle roof. I’ve seen conflicting info online. I’m thinking nose down to aid in draining off the front instead of rear and prevent pooling in the middle of roof. AC is in back 1/3 of roof. What’re your thoughts?

2021 25BRDS
Sp10ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:16 AM   #2

I don’t know if I would go nose down. I have a 25 bds (2019) that developed a leak through the decor sealant across front of roof. I think I would want moisture away from any caulked area.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

I would say nose up. so water drain behind unit. as front would have jack stand an when ground softens up. Sinking comes to mind.
Ps. on another note i be heading from fla to NH in few weeks. not in favor of it but i kept my winter clothes from when i lived in RI.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #4

Nose up - this way water run off stays away from front cap seam as mentioned earlier. Doesn't have to be extreme either, just a few degrees... Even camping I like to set up with the nose pitched up just a hair.
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn - 5.7 Hemi with 3.21 Gears
Max tow is 8500 LBS with 1788 Payload capability.
KJ6MTJ - John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum!

It really doesn't matter which direction you store it.
You have a seam across the back of the roof just like you do across the front so water is going to run across one of them regardless.

The mention of water running off the roof towards the front and the jack is a good one IF you don't have proper drainage where you are parking and you get a lot of rain. Hopefully you have a good spot to park with proper support and ground drainage or you could have other concerns like the tires sitting in mud or water during storage.

Otherwise, store it whatever direction best suits the cover you installed. The R/V won't care one way or the other.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

We store ours nose down. we have a toy hauler and dont want the water and ice building between the door seal and the rear wall. we inspect the cap seal in the fall before storing and keep an eye on the roof all winter.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #7
Mopar Guy

i store nose down,

The reason being i like to keep the tongue jack as least extended as possible, high winter winds here can really torque the jack around.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #8

Nose down for the reasons previously mentioned, less extension to the jack and water is going to run over a seam either way plus it's stored on the driveway so I'm not concerned about soft ground around it. Not to mention it just seems more natural to lower the front that to raise it up higher than the back end.

Favorite Saying: The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
Draggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #9

When I stored outdoors in the winter I covered the trailer and stored it just as it came off the ball and I pulled the truck away. Dirt simple to reconnect and the snow/rain didn't care which way it slid off the covered roof. Yeah a cover is vital to prevent freeze/thaw damage in all those nooks and crannies in the trailer body including the roof, window trim, door, etc.

Other than a couple of outdoor winters my trailers have been indoors at the county fairgrounds Nov-Apr every year. No snow, no ice, no winter sun, no cover to replace every other year.

-- Chuck
Old 12-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Welcome to the forum!

It really doesn't matter which direction you store it.
You have a seam across the back of the roof just like you do across the front so water is going to run across one of them regardless.

The mention of water running off the roof towards the front and the jack is a good one IF you don't have proper drainage where you are parking and you get a lot of rain. Hopefully you have a good spot to park with proper support and ground drainage or you could have other concerns like the tires sitting in mud or water during storage.

Otherwise, store it whatever direction best suits the cover you installed. The R/V won't care one way or the other.
Very valid points. Thanks.

The ground does drain off with a slight slope and the tires are on wood, not just bare ground. Looking at the way the cover sat on the roof, it was my opinion the drop the nose. It appears it will help shed any water and snow drift. Was curious what others thought. I do agree with the opinions about the jack being low and taking the stress off the jack rod.
Sp10ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #11

My 25 BDS has a crown in the roof and all water drains off to the side gutters. No puddling so it really doesn't matter if it's nose up or nose down.

I just level like when camping so when I start refrigerator prior to a trip there's no issues with it.

For me storage is not all that long. I like to camp year round and the trailer is rarely sitting on the pad more than a month.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #12
Commercial Member

When I store the fifth wheel for the winter The front leveling legs are a bit higher to allow more slope on the roof. The Travel Supreme my parents have has a relatively flat roof so they do the same on that unit
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #13

Id jack the camper to get it off the ball, then Id leave it right there so I could hitch up easily in the Spring.............Lazy, Maybe ...........but because of this ID go with Nose up.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
jkoenig24

Why would you NOT store it LEVEL?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #15

I always go nose up. I raise mine up pretty high, but at the end of the day, I feel up or down it should be on enough of an angle that the water will run off one way or the other.

I put a lock on the tongue, so lifting it high allows me to back under it without having to remove the lock first.
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Why would you NOT store it LEVEL?
Depending on the make/model of the R/V 'some' units can hold a bit of water on certain areas of the roof. Nose/back high can eliminate some of that pooling during longer periods of storage.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 AM   #17

Nose up.

You have a cover so there isn’t as much worry about water getting into roof seams, so either direction would be alright for you. But I’d rather have melted (and refreezed) snow, ice, and rain running off towards the back of the trailer than the front… where the jack is, where the main electrical connection coming from the truck is, where the propane and connection is.

And if you live in a place like I do the ice build up from melted snow, sleet, and freezing rain can be a lot some years. And it can stick around in spring for awhile too. I’d rather try to keep it away from the front of my trailer.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote