Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Stuck Trailer ball hitch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503839284.112740.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	149756Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503839284.112740.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	149756 I’ve tried everything that I know but still cannot release the ball?
Any ideas gratefully received [emoji849]Thanks
English Rugby Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

The Only thing I can tell by the Pic.is I hope whatever that stinger is pulling is just a "Little Yard Cart"! ,Not a TT! Youroo!!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #3

After having my real TT hitch stolen I had literally no other way of getting back home 1000 miles away. Campers Inn said ‘No prob’ ! So here I am home with ‘‘this stuck ball” ! There was an urgent medical need to get back home ASAP so options were limited to the truck and hitch��
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Team

As per your pic, it appears your thumb latch is not pulled back.... but hard to tell for sure.

This video may help to show the proper disengagement:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

If the thumb latch is pulled back and it won't release try prying open the coupler from below.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Rugby Fan View Post
After having my real TT hitch stolen I had literally no other way of getting back home 1000 miles away. Campers Inn said ‘No prob’ ! So here I am home with ‘‘this stuck ball” ! There was an urgent medical need to get back home ASAP so options were limited to the truck and hitch��
If "Campers Inn" said it was OK to tow a 3008 Windjammer,that is 35' long,Hitch weight of 1000#-+,No Sway Control/W/D,over a 1000 miles, with that Little stinger hitch,they are the Worst Dealership in the USA! Youroo!!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #7

Even with thumb latch pulled it’s absolutley jammed stuck swivels but that’d it!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #8

Look up at the bottom and see if there is a hex nut for adjustment.

If so, backing that off may release the hitch. You may even have to disassemble it to get it off the ball.

When I get things like this stuck I take a close look to see of there is a good place to apply some "impact persuasion" and from there it's just deciding what size hammer is needed. When you lift the latch it allows the loser part of the latch mechanism to go down and back. There may be a place to put a pin punch on a strategic point and "jar" it loose.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If "Campers Inn" said it was OK to tow a 3008 Windjammer,that is 35' long,Hitch weight of 1000#-+,No Sway Control/W/D,over a 1000 miles, with that Little stinger hitch,they are the Worst Dealership in the USA! Youroo!!

That might depend on the tow vehicle. With a half-ton I'd agree. With a 1-Ton DRW, not so much a problem. I see large trailers towed like this all the time by transporters as well as construction companies towing their "office shack's".

FWIW, WDH hitches were designed so people could carry heavier trailers with passenger cars. A properly matched truck and trailer doesn't necessarily require WDH's .

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

We drive an F350 Dually so I guess hammer it is in a strategic place, thanks very much to all!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:

Well they were insistent on the fact that this would work and was safe! On the other hand as I am simply naive on towing this or any other TT my trust was very much with them! Now that I think back travelling from Ellwood City Pa almost a 1000 miles at a decent clip through the night to North Central Florida I shudder!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That might depend on the tow vehicle. With a half-ton I'd agree. With a 1-Ton DRW, not so much a problem. I see large trailers towed like this all the time by transporters as well as construction companies towing their "office shack's".

FWIW, WDH hitches were designed so people could carry heavier trailers with passenger cars. A properly matched truck and trailer doesn't necessarily require WDH's .
I have never seen a "Transporter" tow with a "Welded Overlay Stinger" like in the Pic. It seems like the Pics that have been posted on here before of Dually pulling a TT and Wrecked/Rolled was just a fluke? Who needs Sway Control just get a Dually!Pulling a Windjammer with a Stock 1/2 Ton is another good Joke also! Youroo!!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

Quote:
I have never seen a "Transporter" tow with a "Welded Overlay Stinger" like in the Pic. It seems like the Pics that have been posted on here before of Dually pulling a TT and Wrecked/Rolled was just a fluke? Who needs Sway Control just get a Dually!Pulling a Windjammer with a Stock 1/2 Ton is another good Joke also! Youroo!!

I think it’s important for me to personally thank the Gods that y’all weren’t on the road at the same time[emoji33]
Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Rugby Fan View Post
I think it’s important for me to personally thank the Gods that y’all weren’t on the road at the same time[emoji33]

And what’s s STINGER besides a missile [emoji636][emoji15]
Old 08-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #15

Ball hitch stuck

Insert it back into receiver, lock 5th wheel brakes. Very gently move truck slightly forward then back, with thumb lever open fully it might just work. I need to do this when unhitching our trailer sometimes with dw at the wheel. Drives better than me...
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:

I had the pleasure to deal with Campers Inn. They are about 5 miles from home and we still prefer to drive 45 minutes in the other direction to get parts and such. Never had a good experience there.

'17: 42
'18: 25
Dan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERV View Post
Insert it back into receiver, lock 5th wheel brakes. Very gently move truck slightly forward then back, with thumb lever open fully it might just work. I need to do this when unhitching our trailer sometimes with dw at the wheel. Drives better than me...
Hello,

This is ball hitch. If this is on a fifth wheel we have a serious issue besides a POS stinger..
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #18

Stuck hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by b and b View Post
hello,

this is ball hitch. If this is on a fifth wheel we have a serious issue besides a pos stinger..
i stand corrected. Meant tt not 5th wheel..duh
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERV View Post
i stand corrected. Meant tt not 5th wheel..duh

No duh I did get what you meant thanks
Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #20

We have the same upside down style hitch. It was very tight, I used hammer and screwdriver to pop it loose first 1500 miles. Had enough, took file and grinders, hammer and chisel. finally got it to work. Good luck
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, trailer