Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Suburban gas hot water heater not heating

We have a Flagstaff RV that is less than 3 years old. It has been winterized twice. This spring when we de-winterized, the gas Surburban 6 gal. hot water heater will not heat the water past warm. The pilot light is working, the heater kicks on fine, but when it completes the heating cycle, the water is only lukewarm. We have replaced the anode rods before they have been completely corroded. Any ideas?
louiseinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

your WH bypass valve is still in winterizing position.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Water heater not working

Thanks so much for you response--my husband are new to RVs, and last year several of our camping neighbors helped us winterize. Since we did not use the antifreeze method, but blew all the pipes out instead, we assumed the bypass valve was not changed. Can you tell this ignorant novice exactly where the bypass valve is located and what position it should be in now.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseinfl View Post
Thanks so much for you response--my husband are new to RVs, and last year several of our camping neighbors helped us winterize. Since we did not use the antifreeze method, but blew all the pipes out instead, we assumed the bypass valve was not changed. Can you tell this ignorant novice exactly where the bypass valve is located and what position it should be in now.
Location of valves are behind or in close proximity of your HW tank. Valve setting can be searched in this forum, as that is a common topic that pops up every Spring.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Very common thing, and why we made a sticky here. See if this link helps. It explains where the valve(s) may be located and the proper position of them.

Many people confuse the handle position of the all important cross over valve and have it open instead of closed...which is what results in a short period of hot water, or warm water at best.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Site Team

louiseinfl, I sent you a private message also about another matter.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Water heater issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Location of valves are behind or in close proximity of your HW tank. Valve setting can be searched in this forum, as that is a common topic that pops up every Spring.
Thanks to you the problem is solved! Found a photo of winter and summer positions of bypass valves, and ours was still in the winter position--one of our wonderful "helpers" likely did that when it was unnecessary since we were not using the anitfreeze method in our pipes. Hot water is perfect now. This was a huge issue for us, but as a result of the error, I have learned a lot more about RVs. Greatly appreciate your help.

Tags
gas, heater, heating, hot water, water, water heater, suburban