Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbackwoods View Post
We have the 800lb bars. Both propane tanks are full and 2 batteries. There is nothing significant in the front storage areas, just the grill that came with it and some odds and ends. Behind the axle is the fridge and pantry which is where I probably have weight issues.

We watched the dealership measure both the hitch and ball on a level surface and make adjustments when they installed it. The trailer was empty though, not sure if my stocked fridge and pantry would make a huge difference?
dbackwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #22

this might help you but I tow a 34ft tt and I used a fastway e2 2 point wdh and the rear of my truck would wiggle back and forth, very uncomfortable. I changed the wdh to a husky centerline 4 point and made a huge difference, also like the others have said tire pressure, level or slight tt tongue down, no extra weight in the rear, this will help allot
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
We watched the dealership measure both the hitch and ball on a level surface and make adjustments when they installed it. The trailer was empty though, not sure if my stocked fridge and pantry would make a huge difference?
I don't believe that would be significant. The pantry cannot support much weight, and the fridge only holds food and drink.
You should store all of your supplies in the front area under the couch. That will add to tongue weight.
Question; when you do put the WDH bars on, do you need to hitch the ball and then lift the vehicle up a few inches in order to put the bars on? Are they under stress? They need to be in order for the anti-sway to work.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #24

I, too, have a 21DS...2016...and weight of pantry or fridge contents are not causing your problems especially with 2 batteries mounted...up front I assume...and propane tanks (30#?) full.

Do you have anything other than a spare tire mounted at the back of the trailer?

Your 800# bars sound correct but I'd suggest, as others have, that you RTFM and check out installation vids of your wdh and make adjustments. If this checks out, then I'd look at the springs/tires/shocks of the TV. And, as others have said, get to a CAT scale and check it out...especially before your big trip.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #25

One other thing to look at. Some vehicles just don't tow well. I had a 3/4 ton conversion van that wouldn't pull a popup in a straight line...no matter what I did. I've seen a couple times posted on here about towing problems involving the "Expedition".
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikenut View Post
I don't believe that would be significant. The pantry cannot support much weight, and the fridge only holds food and drink.

You should store all of your supplies in the front area under the couch. That will add to tongue weight.

Question; when you do put the WDH bars on, do you need to hitch the ball and then lift the vehicle up a few inches in order to put the bars on? Are they under stress? They need to be in order for the anti-sway to work.

Yes, we have to hitch, then lift to put bars on. Definitely under stress. I can definitely tell a difference with less sway since we had them installed, but it’s still there.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
I, too, have a 21DS...2016...and weight of pantry or fridge contents are not causing your problems especially with 2 batteries mounted...up front I assume...and propane tanks (30#?) full.

Do you have anything other than a spare tire mounted at the back of the trailer?

Your 800# bars sound correct but I'd suggest, as others have, that you RTFM and check out installation vids of your wdh and make adjustments. If this checks out, then I'd look at the springs/tires/shocks of the TV. And, as others have said, get to a CAT scale and check it out...especially before your big trip.

2 batteries and 2 full 30# propane tanks up front. Nothing mounted to the back. I’ll check out better tires/tire pressure on the TV tomorrow, I wish I could take the TV and TT to one place and get this figured out!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:03 PM   #28

Those Castle Rock Tires tires of yours may only be speed rated for 65mph. Towing faster and under the air pressure rating will surely result in a bad ending.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #29

I have a 2018 micro light and a weight distribution hitch installed by the dealer. I tow it with my Chevy blazer and I did make some changes. I replaced the orginal shocks first with heavy duty ones. Then I got on level ground and adjusted the hitch so everything was level. Then I inflated the tires on the trailer and the rear of my blazer to the max. (44 lbs.) I made sure the front tires were at the recomend 35 lbs. When I pull it now it feels like I have control, not the trailer controlling me. I was fortune enough to have someone who new about towing to help me and so far so good. I've been down the highway at 65 to 70 mph with no problems. You'll get right eventually with some help and adjustments I'm sure. Best of luck.
BLANJI511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #30

I also have a 2018 21DS. My original TV was a GMC Canyon with 3.4L. Towed very well with an Equalizer 4 PT hitch. Moved up to Sierra 1500 with the same engine. The heavier TV with the longer wheelbase makes a HUGE difference! No more sway when being passed by a semi! (Not that there was a lot with the Canyon). Sometimes I almost forget in towing!
Btw, the sweet spot fir both mileage and handling fir my rig is 62mph. Love that 21DS! Been all over the east and south from NOLA to Bar Harbor and everywhere in between!
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #31

Ok, we have decided to try new tires to cure the sway issue. I received quotes for 2 different tires, both are about the same price. Anyone have experience with a LT Cooper Discovery AT3 or BFGoodrich KO2?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #32

I don't know a thing about either of them, but I can swear by Goodyear Endurance tires as can many others.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Ok, we have decided to try new tires to cure the sway issue. I received quotes for 2 different tires, both are about the same price. Anyone have experience with a LT Cooper Discovery AT3 or BFGoodrich KO2?
Of the two choices I would go with the BFG. They will likely significantly effect the ride. I run mine at 45lbs unloaded and 80lbs when I tow.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #34

Quote:
You are talking about TV tires???

Any LT tire is better than a P-rated passenger tire to help control trailer sway issues. I personally went with LTX Michelin tires from Costco.

For tire ratings try looking them up on tirerack dot com and read reviews there.

You mentioned twice that you have very little stored in front compartments... Move whatever you can from on or after the trailer axle to those front compartments to increase the tongue weight and decrease any weight in the rear of the trailer. This most definitely will improve your sway issues as will the stiffer LT rated TV tires.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You are talking about TV tires???

Any LT tire is better than a P-rated passenger tire to help control trailer sway issues. I personally went with LTX Michelin tires from Costco.

For tire ratings try looking them up on tirerack dot com and read reviews there.

You mentioned twice that you have very little stored in front compartments... Move whatever you can from on or after the trailer axle to those front compartments to increase the tongue weight and decrease any weight in the rear of the trailer. This most definitely will improve your sway issues as will the stiffer LT rated TV tires.

Yes, TV tires. With the LT tires, would you still recommend filling them to max pressure?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, TV tires. With the LT tires, would you still recommend filling them to max pressure?
I started with 60lbs in front and 80lbs in back but I found that 80lbs/80lbs worked best for me.

If you haven’t gone to the scales and checked the setup of the WDH you should do that first.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
LT tires are going to make a big difference over P tires.

Of the two you mentioned, I've read more good reviews on the BFGoodrich KO2.
I have no personal experience as I've always run Michelin LTX M&S or my current LTX AT2.

You certainly want to fill them with enough air to handle the load they will carry. Whether that is MAX pressure or not, you'll need to decide.

I run my rear tires lower in air pressure than MAX pressure, both when empty and when towing but with enough either way to cover whatever load I'm hauling.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #38

I've towed my 6000-ish pound Roo 23SS since 2005 with an Expedition and P-metric tires without difficulty. Trailer fishtailing (the real word, not the nice term sway) is predominately bad weight and balance. Trailer dealers rarely seem to fit WDHs properly and the trailer is empty at the dealer anyway. 15% of trailer weight on the ball is spec for conventional trailers.

If I wanted my Expedition to have the rough ride of a F150 I'd fit LT tires but they're not necessary for weekend towing in my experience. But, alas, it seems you've already bought LT tires...

-- Chuck
Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #39
Tom

There is no way I would put max 80 psi for your setup. I pull a bigger camper with my F150 and I put 55 rear and 50 front in my Toyo LT's. These were the pressures given to me by a company rep based on my setup.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #40
Hot Dog Slayer

You aren't towing with your fresh water reservoir full are you?

I have towed my 21DS with a 2013 Ram 1500 and now a 2019 Ram 1500 without any problems at all?

I've never messed with tire pressure or anything (aside from making sure neither were flat).

Load the towing vehicle up with the bulk of the heavy stuff, put the rest in the TT, hook up the two and then raise the tow vehicle by the ball with the trailer jack lift to add a bit of stress (not too much as you don't want to ruin your jack). Add your WDH and chain it properly, then lower the trailer, check the lights and go.

Make sure that your chains are crossed! Right chain to left side of tow vehicle, left chain to right side of tow vehicle. This too could help in the sway situation depending on the length of your chains?
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway