Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

thinking of new Flagstaff

Went to the dealer today and saw a Flagstaff 831RLSS on the lot. It seems to have just about everything we're looking for, including some extras DH loves (elec awning among them). I noticed a thread on problems with bolts shearing off on the slideout motors - this could be a concern, and if it's fairly common, might cause us to think again. Is this a fairly common problem? Haven't had that happen (so far) with our 3-year-old Starcraft.
catmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #2

The one that I have, a 30 foot V-lite, has 2 slide outs, and so far I haven't had any issues with that. I am pleased with the quality, the electric awning is great, however it has no provision on it to tilt to the side for draining in a rainstorm. Their answer to the problem is to simply roll it back in when a storm comes ! Also the Concertone sound system in all Forest River campers is problematic, to say the least. But overall, it is a very well built camper.
P.S. All Forest River campers have plywood floors- Ask the others about their floors!! (particle board).
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #3

I had mine shear off. I just replaced them with some hardened bolts. i`ve had no problem since.This was a recommended by the dealer.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #4

Bolts

I Was Told That The Problem With The Bolts Initially Was
That They Had To Big A Shoulder So When They Were Bottomed
At The Factory It Stretched The Bolts Causing Them To Fail.
My Dealer Walked Me Through The Whole Thing Cause I Had The
Same Concernes.
HOWIE BEDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #5

Anyone had their dealer make the repairs?
catmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #6

Dealer repairs

We bought our Flagstaff 8528gtss in 07. Had a couple of small problems. The first time I took it back to the dealer which is 80 miles aways. The fixed the problem. Since then I found an RV Sales/service close to me that works on Forest river products. We purchased the extended warrantee. The first problem we had was that the front cap of the unit started separating from the side walls exterior. I took it back to the dealer and was told that when they built the unit, they don't screw the two together very well. The dealer added more screws and fixed the problem although, of course That wasn't covered by the extended warrantee. After that I noticed that the brake controller (prodigy) didn't seem to stop the trailer very well. We've had a smaller TT for about 15 years before and when ever I applied the brakes you could feel the trailer stopping a bit sooner which is what it's suppose to do. Anyhow, took it back and they told me that the trailer brakes were never adjusted so they weren't engaging. Even though I complained about this from the get-go and was told that this was normal. After that the water pump blew out. Had it fixed. Covered. Oh. Last year the bolt that secures the Landing gear to the motor fell off. Took awhile to figure out the problem cuz I couldn't raise the trailer to get it off my truck. I put Bolt lock on it and it's been fine since then. Two weeks ago the water pump went out again. Had it fixed AGAIN. Also the TV stopped working. I couldn't get any power to the monitor, Had sound etc but nothing to the TV it self? Had the dealer check it out but they couldn't find anything wrong,it started working again when I took it back? Go figure ! We're planning our summer trips and I'm hoping that everything keeps on working.

Manny
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

As for the electric awning arm, you canget it replaced for free from Forest River plus the cost of installation (if its new enough).

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #8

we got the free kit from our dealer that goes on the awning to correct the tilting problem works pretty wel so far
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #9

We bought a 2010 831RLSS last October, and even though we've only camped in it twice, we really like it. The only problem so far is that the microwave makes a loud buzz after about a minute of use. I'm taking it back to the dealer to be checked out after our next trip at the end of April. So far, so good. JT
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
ARLO

829fkss flagstaff

We traded our H/R Savoy in on a Flagstaff. Great improvement. We camped a lot with it last year and had only 2 very minor problems. Both were ixed by the dealer.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #11

I have had my rig for two years and no shearing problems.
The electric awning is great.
If FR hasn't done it yet, have the dealer install the tilt mechanism.
A&E sends them out for free.
I did my own, no big deal.

The concertone dvd units are pure junk.

I would also check to see what brand of tires are on it.
Mine came with Carlsile tires. Chinese time bombs they are.
See if you can get them to replace them with a good american made tire.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #12

Just bought a new Flagstaff 5th wheel with bunks, so far impressed with all t the features! Cant wait to go camping.
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #13

Please bear in mind that a camper- generally ANY camper- is made up of several companie's products all married together somewhat successfully into one camper/trailer. As an example, A&E/Dometic makes the awnings on most, as well as the refrigerator, and sometimes the water heater, or Suburban is the other maker of those. The power supply/converter is made by WFCO, the axles/brakes are made by Alco, tires usually Carlisles, etc. etc. Flagstaff is only a platform to make it all come together. So in conclusion, you shouldn't blame Flagstaff/Forest River for another company's problem. However; YES, they chose to use these particular products in the construction of their units, but other manufacturers of RV's use the same stuff, also. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff