Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #1

Tips for mounting TV in bedroom - Flagstaff 27BESS

Hi all. New to the forums after upgrading from a pop-up and recently purchasing our first Flagstaff travel trailer. I was wondering if anyone could share any tips for mounting a 19" television in the bedroom of our Flagstaff 27BESS, ie: recommended mounts, mounting location (mounting directly to wall or hanging beneath cabinetry), hardware required, etc... Pictures would also be great. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
tyrick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrick69 View Post
Hi all. New to the forums after upgrading from a pop-up and recently purchasing our first Flagstaff travel trailer. I was wondering if anyone could share any tips for mounting a 19" television in the bedroom of our Flagstaff 27BESS, ie: recommended mounts, mounting location (mounting directly to wall or hanging beneath cabinetry), hardware required, etc... Pictures would also be great. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
I have the same model and apparently there's backing in the centre of the wall for a mount. Any smaller LCD mount will work as I'm sure you won't be putting a 46" TV in there. Mine only has a coax input on the bedroom side which is fine for non-HD stuff.

Do you have a TV on the living room side?

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I have the same model and apparently there's backing in the centre of the wall for a mount. Any smaller LCD mount will work as I'm sure you won't be putting a 46" TV in there. Mine only has a coax input on the bedroom side which is fine for non-HD stuff.

Do you have a TV on the living room side?
Yes we do have a flatscreen (27" I think) on the LR side. I'm a little hesitant to start drilling into the wall of my brand new trailer so I thought I'd solicit some advice before I break out the power tools. Our BR outlet only has coax as well but I've already dropped an additional video line from the DVD player as it has multiple outputs. Now just have to mount the TV.
Thanks for the advice.
Rick
Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

I would be extremely surprised if there is no backing if they sell the trailer on the basis of an "optional TV." I'm not sure how TVs normally get fastened in this location, but I don't think I'd want to use any kind of screws because of the weight of TV + mount. I'd be wanting to through-bolt it with bolts, washers and nylock nuts, but that's just me. And you don't want to see these on the other side and you don't want them interfering with a mount on the opposite side. The panel in that divider location for the TV could be 3/4" thick. If you needed better backing, you could always install a piece of matching plywood in the inset on the kitchen side.

Actually, come to think of it, shouldn't you be able to measure the depth of the recess on the kitchen side and the width of the divider to determine the backing/wall thickness?

As an alternative to a remote DVD player, you could use a TV with a built-in one. That's what we did and it sure is convenient. Only one remote to deal with too. Not only saves space, you don't have to run component, HDMI or other cables between the player and TV plus you don't need an extra 120V outlet.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I would be extremely surprised if there is no backing if they sell the trailer on the basis of an "optional TV." I'm not sure how TVs normally get fastened in this location, but I don't think I'd want to use any kind of screws because of the weight of TV + mount. I'd be wanting to through-bolt it with bolts, washers and nylock nuts, but that's just me. And you don't want to see these on the other side and you don't want them interfering with a mount on the opposite side. The panel in that divider location for the TV could be 3/4" thick. If you needed better backing, you could always install a piece of matching plywood in the inset on the kitchen side.

Actually, come to think of it, shouldn't you be able to measure the depth of the recess on the kitchen side and the width of the divider to determine the backing/wall thickness?

As an alternative to a remote DVD player, you could use a TV with a built-in one. That's what we did and it sure is convenient. Only one remote to deal with too. Not only saves space, you don't have to run component, HDMI or other cables between the player and TV plus you don't need an extra 120V outlet.
You're over-thinking it. There's backing in there. They used 6 1" screws on the LR side TV mount so there no problem using the same on the BR side. 6 1" screws will hold an awful lot of weight. It's not like people are hanging 36" CRT's in their TT's.

Just screw the mount in and hook up the TV.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #6

Factory

You can always call the factory Customer service rep.....there may be a good reason there is no option for TV to come from factory hanging on a certain wall....they will let you know.....might be like some rear bumpers, the frame and bumper warranty does not have to be honored if you exceed the design limits.....good luck.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree with pappcam that there has to be some kind of backing in there because a 2nd TV is an option on this TT and there is already a coax line and an outlet right there. I was just looking for advice from someone who actually had a 2nd TV installed in the bedroom to get an idea of mounting location and type of mount. I believe the location of the AC outlet is going to limit my choice of mounts.

Tags
bed