Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #1

Tire blowout tore it up.

Last week left early in the AM to go for a long weekend camping. Less than 20 miles down the road the drivers side front tire blew out on my camper. To be fair the tires were 4 years old. But they had less than 3000 miles on them, and were very well taken care of. Date codes are less than 5 years.

Unless we are using the camper they are covered, storage is a covered storage unit on Gravel. I am VERY careful about avoiding hazards etc.

I was driving 65 MPH, and the tires were cold inflated to 65PSI. They are Castle Rock (oem) tires from the Forest River, original tires on the camper.

I say all of the above to ask this, I need an opinion on Goodyear Endurance tires for replacement. Has anyone replaced with these tires and has real world opinion on them?

Thanks,
miclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

Had the exact same experience as you. Replaced the Castle Rocks with Good Year Endurance and could not be happier. There is a positive difference while towing with the Good Years versus the Castle Rocks. We did go up to load range E when we updated and had metal stems installed since we added tpms to the trailer.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Do a search on the forum for the Endurance tire. Lots of threads on this subject already.

3 yrs is about all you can expect with a lower quality tire on a travel trailer. I'd say you did pretty good there.

The Endurance tires are probably a 4-5 yr tire but cost almost twice as much.

I had a blowout this summer and did not replace them with the Goodyear tire. In browsing the forum, the Castle Rock tires are one of the worst. There are better quality tires out there without breaking the bank.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

[emoji106][emoji106] Goodyear Endurance.

Replaced our 8000+ mile, 2 year old Castle Rocks two weeks ago before departing on a 4000 mile trip. Goodyear Endurance were our first choice but would not be available for 2-3 weeks. (Covid factory slowdown). We didn’t want to risk doing this trip with the Castle Rocks so our second choice were Carlise Radial Trail HD.
Replaced all five tires and had them balanced with new metal valve stems.

Noticed a big difference right away. They seem to pull straighter or track better ? with less sway or better wind resistance. Maybe a stronger side wall. They are still load range D and although they are the same size as originals they are a little larger diameter.

Have over 1800 miles on them so far and more peace of mind.

Gave the neighbor four of the tires for a small utility trailer he’s building and will sell the never used spare when we return from our trip.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Goodyear Endurance has MANY good write-ups in this total forum already... at least 2-3 or so every month for the past couple of years

AND has been noted recently there is a nation-wide shortage of some sizes. If you are still looking for Endurance, I would go to a GY tire center company-owned store OR the GY company website and order them.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

TIRES

I went thru 4 tires and about $`12,000 in replacement tires and damage repair due to blowouts on my 2014 Forest River 32' Wildwood. After listening to readers on the FR Forum, I finally took my TT to a recognized shop and had the axles aligned and then I bought a complete set of Endurance tires, one size larger than the originals. NO MORE TROUBLES! If I were to buy a new trailer I would first exchange the OEM tires for new, Endurance oversized tires and then take it to have the axles aligned and then I would go camping to have the axles aligned and THEN I would go camping!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Do a search on the forum for the Endurance tire. Lots of threads on this subject already.

3 yrs is about all you can expect with a lower quality tire on a travel trailer. I'd say you did pretty good there.

The Endurance tires are probably a 4-5 yr tire but cost almost twice as much.

"I had a blowout this summer and did not replace them with the Goodyear tire. In browsing the forum, the Castle Rock tires are one of the worst. There are better quality tires out there without breaking the bank."

I see this quote often and I wonder.
When I was in the computer business there was a brand of computer back in the day called Packerd Bell. This system was the most inexpensive system at the time. They were sold 10 to one over most all the brands at the time. They began to get the rep of being one of the worst because of the repairs that were needed. My theory was, if you are selling 10 times more than your competitors you are going to have more repairs and failures due to the volume you are putting out. In my shop I can say that I saw no more Packerd Bell computer systems than the rest, but that was my shop.

It is possible this is the case with castle rocks tires since many many TT come with them?

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #8

Best deal on Endurance Tires

The best deal on Endurance ties hat I found was at my Ford Dealer. Mounted and balanced. Go to your Ford dealers website. Click on service then tires
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

If you look around on this site you will find several threads with the same topic. I had a blowout on 4 year old Constance brand tires on my Rockwood - $1800 damage to the trailer + a new set of tires. What I learned is that the consensus seems to be replace your tires every 3- 4 years whether they look like they need it or not, keep them inflated to the max stated pressure, use tire pressure monitoring if possible, and when you replace move up one load range from the original if you can. Also to stay with trailer tires rather than light truck tires because trailer tires have different sidewall construction better suited for carrying the weight while parked and when cornering. Also not to make a practice of exceeding the speed rating of the tires - quite often less than 65mph, and keep them covered when you can. I asked the same question regarding Endurance and it seems to be the preferred brand. I was unable to get them due to the covid-19 shutdown that was in place at the time, so I bought Carlisle HD Trail load range D for mine. Don't have enough time with them to comment on them yet.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #10

You might also read the tire reviews on etrailer dot com. Real world feedback from hundreds and hundreds of buyers of trailer tires. I had a very heavy duty gooseneck trailer from BigTex that I hauled my dozer on. It came with "Provider" brand "G" rated tires on the tandem duals. Never a problem out of them so I checked the ratings on etrailer from users. Over 600 very satisfied reviews so I put a set of ST235/85 R16 "G" rated tires on my camper. I'm absolutely positive they will outlast the camper. Even still, I run an EezTire tpms on my truck and camper both to prevent surprises of pressure and/or temperature.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #11

I haven't owned a trailer for a few years now since moving up to a Class A, which is another story for tires but I recall not to long ago Maxxis was a highly recommended brand which my Jayco came with and I replaced them with when needed. They were reasonably priced.Never had an issue and put many miles on them. I don’t hear much about them anymore when tires are mentioned in regards to TTs. Not sure if jayco still uses them either anymore. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I haven't owned a trailer for a few years now since moving up to a Class A, which is another story for tires but I recall not to long ago Maxxis was a highly recommended brand which my Jayco came with and I replaced them with when needed. They were reasonably priced.Never had an issue and put many miles on them. I don’t hear much about them anymore when tires are mentioned in regards to TTs. Not sure if jayco still uses them either anymore. Thanks
Exactly. Maxxis M8008 and Carlisle Trail HD are still very good ST tires, but everyone on the forum seems to have jumped to GY Endurance and LR G tires.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclin View Post
Last week left early in the AM to go for a long weekend camping. Less than 20 miles down the road the drivers side front tire blew out on my camper. To be fair the tires were 4 years old. But they had less than 3000 miles on them, and were very well taken care of. Date codes are less than 5 years.

Unless we are using the camper they are covered, storage is a covered storage unit on Gravel. I am VERY careful about avoiding hazards etc.

I was driving 65 MPH, and the tires were cold inflated to 65PSI. They are Castle Rock (oem) tires from the Forest River, original tires on the camper.

I say all of the above to ask this, I need an opinion on Goodyear Endurance tires for replacement. Has anyone replaced with these tires and has real world opinion on them?

Thanks,
Question? Did you have a TPMS? Tire Pressure Monitoring System on your trailer?

We upgraded to Endurance on our last trailer. Did I feel a difference? No? By butt meter is not that sensitive. Did I feel better? Yes.
Will I upgrade this trailer? yes. Less than 1000 miles at the moment. But soon.

Good Luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

It may not be a bad tire that caused a blowout!!!!

To be sure ther eare lots of posts on questionable RV tires.

There are many causes.

One that is not checked by many and is not readily shared by the RV manufactures is a slide member that is poorly designed/located and is rubbing on your tire when the springs compress. There are NHTSA recalls out there.

With your slides closed, look where the tires are located with respect to the slide members. By members I am referring to the horizontal steel 2" tubing , nuts, bolts and the bracket at the end of the square tube. With a flashlight, see if anything is shiny? That is rubbing. It can and has caused catastrophic tire failure. Look directly above the tires for rubbing where the tires come in contact with the flooring of the slideout.

I'm into it with my RV manufacturer as I write and they so far are saying it's out of warrantee. Sorry for them but there is no limitation on a safety issue the manufacturer can hide behind. It's the law. Safety is safety. They had an identical NHTSA recall on a different model.

More as it develops. Pictures are heading to the legal department for a possible small claims court case if they don't step up. Can anyone say 3 times damages?

So the moral of the story is, it may or maynot be bad tires. Look under your slides and see if anything is shining back with a flashlight.
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #15

Just put GY Endurance on and was amazed at the difference between them and the Chinese maypops. Trailer pulled better with less sway and bounce. Better load rating and sidewalls really help.
Windjammer3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #16

Had the same tires. Turns out they are made in China and when I had my first blowout I came here and discovered everyone called them "China Bombs", because you never know when they will blow. I had about 500 miles on them at the time. When I looked into them, I found that the Goodyear Endurance is the best tire for an RV. The Castle Rock has the same ratting for weight, but the speed rating is 70mph. The Endurance is rated at 81mph. I called the company that made my RV and was told that they put on the cheapest tire that meets the weight requirement and was told "it's not the best tire out there". Went to America's Tire and asked them. They never heard of Castle Rock, so that says something. Ended up wit GY Endurance and couldn't be happier. Have about 6000 miles on them so far. However, it says right on the tire to keep them inflated to the maximum of 80 lbs. Low air pressure is one of the main reasons for blowouts.
tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #17

I just purchaed carlisle tires, they are pretty good as well, i had them on my 2000 wilderness tt 15 years ago.
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #18

Our 2018 FR Surveyor csme with Castle Rocks. Travel included purchase in Wilmington, to Virginia Beach, to Maine, to Florida and had a flat at low speed. Put on Endurance the next day and have traveled about 9,800 miles since.
High pressure valve stems, Road Force balance, and no problems.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #19

My Castle Rocks are now three years old. I was going to replace them this year, but between Covid and difficulties in getting endurance tires, I figured I’d wait until next year. Just returned from a trip, and no issues with the Castle Rocks, but with all the bad press they get, I was a bit nervous!

I put Carlisles on my previous tt (forget what off-brand it came with) and they were great. Made a big difference, and the tt tracked straight as an arrow.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #20

Add me to the Castle Rock blowout list. Didn't damage the trailer.
235/80r 16 123N GY Endurance and 4 HWT wheels later, quite pleased. The Goodyears are speed rated fir 87 mph @ 80 psi.
The ride us good. It was on the Castle Rock too.
Toy haulers track well because the axles are biased to the rear.
I like to get on down the road which might have contributed to the failure. The front tire carried the whole right side for quite a way and it pulled without issue.
Couldn't believe it. But, these 'Rocks' had maybe 500 mies and a little more than a year and 3 months of age. The were 225/75 15 holding up a 31V, 12000 lb toy hauler. The hitch gets 1200 lbs of that weight.
GY's were $150 each, wheels were $550 for 4.
Also during this chaos, added a TST 507 ft to the truck and caps to the trailer. Very nice item, easy to read and change settings for various situations. Constantly scrolls thru each tire every 5 seconds per tire. Reads temp and pressure.
All good...
First pic is Castle Rock/Lionhead.
Second is GY on HWT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_152644.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	240530Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_152615.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	240531Click image for larger version