Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Took delivery on 4/7/2012 of a 2013 25DS

We took delivery on 4/7/2012 of a Flagstaff 25DS that was ordered on 10/12/2011. A 2012 model was ordered but the paper work on the delivered TT says it is a 2013 model, built on 2/29/2012. This is my first experience with a TT.

I must admit that I am a little disappointed in the quality and workmanship of this unit. I do not recall from the initial walk through of the 2010 Rockwood 2502S unit that was in stock at a different dealer, that it was a cheaply built as our new 25DS. Our main concern was finding a unit light enough to be towed by our 2006 4.0L Tacoma. We liked the floor plan of the 2502S, the calculated weight margins were adequate, but I was nervous about towing with the Tacoma so we decided to trade up to a 2012 F150. Pulling it home Saturday on I-80 made me realize the decision to upgrade to the 5.0L F150 was the correct one, as I cannot imagine pulling the 25DS with the Tacoma, even though the numbers said it was possible.

What I have found so far that makes me unhappy with the quality and workmanship are:

Sawdust and construction debris were not cleaned up.

Removing panels under the cabinet below the stove, to get to the incoming electrical service wire to determine if it would be possible to add a Progressive Industries Hardwired Surge Protector, disclosed that daylight can be seen coming through a gap between the side wall and the wheel well; it’s big enough to allow unwanted insects to enter the trailer.

The TV mount arm was installed crooked so that with the TV extended and rotated, it is very noticeable because of the difference in the space between the TV frame and the ceiling.

Although it is not noticeable when closed, the furnace door frame hinges were installed on the wrong frame rail, removed and installed on the correct rail. The holes left by the hinge screws were not touched up.

There was an apparent defect in the dining table top and an attempt to fix it had been made by filling in the defect, but the filler was not sanded out, leaving a rough texture to the table top. Also, the height of the table allows it to be pushed into the window. We could see ourselves or one of the Grandkids pushing it into the window so I made a frame to sit on the floor so that the table legs will not slide on the floor enough to allow the table top to hit the window.

We did not notice on our initial 2502S walk through, but on the 25DS, the left side wardrobe door cannot be fully opened as it hits the window curtain valance.

The lid to the storage under the mattress is spring loaded so when the mattress is lifted, the lid opens. The vinyl trim around the lid was deformed, leaving a sharp point on one edge of the lid, which put a nice rip in the underside fabric of the mattress.

The adhesive backed Velcro strip that holds the seat cushion in place pulled loose on the first attempt of removing the cushion. The dealer rep was standing there but made no offer to fix it, but it’s no big deal as the fix is simple by adding a few screws with a Teflon washer every few inches should prevent the Velcro strip from pulling off.

I don’t know if there are any problems with the plumbing or any of the appliances. The PDI did not include testing any of those as the dealer had scheduled 20 deliveries for Saturday and the place was in a state of semi-controlled chaos.

Bottom line, we will be calling the dealer to set up an appointment to take care of a few things and next weekend we are going camping, so there might be more items added to the list.

Regarding the addition of a Progressive Industries Hardwired Surge Protector; it is possible, but you have to be a contortionist to get to the wires so I am leaning towards just getting the EMS-PT30C Portable Surge Protector.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

I have the EMS-PT30C Portable Surge Protector and love it. They also just added a Lifetime Warranty on the product. The literature you get with the PT30C still says that it is only 1 year, but I contacted Progressive and they assured me that the warranty is so new that the new literature has not come in yet and it is in fact a lifetime warranty. YOu can't beat that. Here is where I purchased mine from.

Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Seemed to be about the best price out there.

Hope they resolve all your issues. I know that it can be frustrating. Good luck!
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

That's a good price, the same I paid almost three years ago. Love my EMS and don't leave home without it. I'm also on my 2nd trailer with this unit so I'm glad I bought the portable.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry that things didn't turn out for you as expected. I know it must be disappointing waiting for something to arrive and then discover it's not how you remember it. I'm not sure how you feel about it but is it possible to go back to the other dealer to see the other unit you were looking at? It could help to refresh your memory but then it could make matters worse depending on the outcome.

I would highly recommend staying overnight at a campground to test out everything especially what was skipped during the PDI. Please do schedule getting your list taken care of ASAP so you can start to enjoy your unit.

As for the sawdust, I still have a little bit of factory dust in my tt and it's a year & half old. Once its all gone then my tt will be old. Traveling seems to bring it out.

I would had preferred a hardwired SP but I do like my portable unit a lot.

I had a swing arm TV mount installed. When its against the wall it looks straight but when it out it tends to look like it tilting down on the far side. I did have it adjusted so it looks better and doesn't bug me any more.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
@ pbrackney
Thanks for the link for Dyrers, I placed an order today.
@ terier
The Rockwood 2502S at the other dealer was sold, so the option to go back to look at it is out. They wanted more for the 2010 model 2502S than the 2012 Flagstaff 25DS, which is the main reason for my decision. maybe FR have cheap'nd things to keep the price down.
We are planning on camping next weekend about 12 miles away to give the unit a shakedown.

Tags
25ds