Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #41

Hello all. I just joined the forum today. I have a 2009 F150 and I tow a 2010 Flagstaff 831KRSS with no issues at all. My truck has a 3.73 axle, a tow package, an integrated factory brake controller, 5.5 foot bed, 5.4 liter engine and 4 wheel drive. The truck is rated at 11,300 pounds for towing. The trailer is 34 feet long (3 feet of tongue) and it weighs 7100 lbs empty. We just got back from a two week camping trip at high outside temperatures. We towed the trailer approximately 180 miles on the highway. We use a Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000 for weight distribution. We just bought the trailer this year and this was the first time we towed any real distance. The result...The truck performed magnificantly! I traveled at 65 MPH the whole time and almost forgot the trailer was back there a couple of times. We got 10 MPG on the trip. We are well within all the safety margins and would recommend this setup to anyone towing 9000 lbs or less (my comfort zone). We previously had an F150 that towed 8000lbs and were going to buy a F250 for our new trailer. However, when we discovered that Ford re-engineered the transmission and engine, we went with the F150. We thankfully made a great choice. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000
Virginia Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #42

Congrats on your new set up and I'm glad everything is working out for you.

I've been wanting to hear from people who have experience with Ford's Max Tow Package (new in '09). I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the highest rating was 11,300 lbs and as you add options to your truck, the rating goes down. They always sneak in "When Properly Equipped".

Help me understand something. The '09 Ford Towing Guide I have shows a 5.4 V8, SuperCrew Cab, 145" wheel base, 4x4, 3:73 gears, GCVWR 15,100 towing capacity to be 9,300 lbs unless you have the 3:73/3:73E rear axle ratio with a 17,100 GCVWR which then it would be 11,200 lbs (probably what you have). They also show 3:55/3:73E rear gears, GCVWR 15,500 with a 9,700 towing capacity. I'm not sure of the difference in the rear gear ratios, but that's the way it's listed in the guide's chart. Maybe someone else on hear can explain it. Either way, you should still be within all your numbers and that's evident by your first hand experience.

It's all confussing to me and that's why I like to hear from people, like you, who have first hand experience. If you can, post back on what you find out about your specific rear axle ratio. I know I would probably have to take it to the dealer and ask them.

Good luck and enjoy that new truck and trailer!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #43

Virginia Camper,

Welcome to FRF. Glad to hear all is going good with your set-up.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #44

Sir,

From what I am reading on the 2009 Ford tow guide, those numbers are for the 4.6 liter engine. For the 5.4 liter engine, there are also several variables. In order to be able to tow 11,200 lbs, you have to have the “Max Trailer Tow Package”, 3.73 axle and 18” or 20” tires. As for the 3:55/3:73E gears, the “E” stands for Electronic Locking Differential, which comes standard on the Fx4 only. You really have to look at the chart closely and read all of the notes carefully. It is very easy to misunderstand the charts. I had to look at them 4 different times before I bought my truck. I read earlier where someone advised to check with the dealer. I have bought 4 new trucks from Ford in the past and not once has the dealer folks given me the straight answer on tow capability. For all of you reading this, I highly suggest you do your homework yourself or ask someone who is good at this before you buy. It could come back to haunt you. You can download the window stickers on Ford’s website to ensure you have all the right equipment. I did not mention it earlier, but I have the SuperCrew. My truck came with the Max Tow Package, but did not have the factory brake controller. They tried to sell me after market controllers. I did some research and found out the dealer can install a factor controller after the fact. The dealer was unaware. There is a Ford bulletin on how to do it. This is an example of doing your own homework. I was very lucky (blessed) that I found this out. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed…I read it on a F150 forum. Anyway, sorry for the long story. Here is the link to the 2009 Ford towing guide if anyone wants to download it: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2009/2009_default.asp I hope this helps. I am fairly new to forums and they have literally saved me over $10,000 and lots of grief. Let me know if I haven’t been very clear.

Very respectfully,
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000
Virginia Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #45

Thanks, Virginia Camper.

That cleared up alot for me. I should have looked closer at the chart and I would had seen I was looking at the 4.6 V8.

I also have the in dash brake controller in my truck. It has me spoiled.

Again, thanks for clearing that up for me. It's good to hear the max tow package is getting the job done. That gives people who use thier TV for everyday transportation a decent tow vehicle as well.

Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, flagstaff