Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Anschreuder Send a message via Yahoo to Anschreuder Send a message via Skype™ to Anschreuder
TT vs Fithwheel

We have a 32" TT (flagstaff 831DBSS) and are considering going to a FithWheel camper of similar size. Is there any reason why I should not do that? The TV is not an issue in this discussion. Are there any cons about 5th wheelers that can be overlooked easily?
Anschreuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

I can't honestly say their are any cons. I could go on all day about the pros. It's just finding a floor plan that you like and getting the right hitch for your truck that you like. I would go for it if you were able to.
mikegp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #3

Having towed both (currently a fifth wheel), I am not aware of any true "cons" to a fifth wheel. There are a few issues and concerns which need to be addressed when considering a fifth wheel, but from a towing perspective it is all "pros". One of the issues is of course the requirement of a pick up truck for towing of appropriate capacity, but you have discounted that already. With a fifth wheel you will lose most of the use of the bed for cargo and will have to plan accordingly. The only other concern is that a fifth wheel will generally be taller than a travel trailer, so you have to be more aware of overhangs, tree branches and pay attention to low clearance warnings. They also turn and react a little different than a travel trailer, but that is just matter of experience.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

We just switched from a TT to a fifth wheel this year. The fifth wheel tows so much nicer, we are real pleased. The only con I can see, is you will have the rails to contend with if you want to haul something (other than your camper).

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Depending on your tow vehicle (TV) you may find that with lighter trucks (1500 and 2500 series) that you can tow a bigger travel trailer than a 5th wheel. Less of the camper's weight actually rests ON the truck with a travel trailer so you won't max out the truck before you max out the camper.

While you can TOW a bigger 5th wheel normally than a travel trailer you will find that the truck becomes overloaded with the correct percentage of camper weight in the bed of the truck (15-25% for a 5th wheel and 10-20% for a travel trailer with WD hitch)

For example: In the 2008 GMC 2500HD DIESEL, the tow ratings are 12,000 pound TT vs a 15,500 pound 5th wheel. Yet since the max gross weight of the truck alone is 9200 pounds and the empty weight configured for camping (family aboard, hitch, and gas cans in the bed) runs around 7200 pounds you really are left with a 2000 pound payload.

A 2000 pound camper payload works out to be a:

20% (nominal less means more TV front end hunting) of camper yields a max 5th wheel weight of 10,000 pounds (though many people routinely overload their tow vehicles the manufacturers, state troopers, and insurance companies, do not recommend it.

15% (nominal less means more trailer sway) of camper yields a max TT weight of 13,000 pounds; however you max out the WD hitch tow rating of 12,000 pounds before you hit the max camper weight.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

My Wife and I saw a few 5th's and love the layouts. However, they are a tad more expensive. But if money is not the issue what we didn't like is that most Campgrounds, the 5th wheel areas are kind of away from the fun because of their taller stance. With our shorter Trailers we can get into some nice shady campsites that feel more like camping instead of being packed like sardines in the back with other 5th wheels 10ft within your site. Next CON, you lose almost all TRUCK bed space. Sometimes, I like to throw all our dirty stuff in the bed of truck and wash it at home, or want to carry our ATV in truck bed and tow TT, or I may decide to go on a hunting trip with TT and then bring back a few hogs or a Deer in bed of truck Don't want a carcass inside trailer LOL. Or I'd like to mount some Kayaks over the bed of truck. Lifting kayaks onto the top of a 5th wheel would be a pain.

But like everyone has said. It's a personal choice really. It's up to how you intend to do something.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
J. Parham

Went from a TT to 5er (Flagstaff 8528BHSS) last October. As far as we are concerned it's been the best thing ever. Only downfall for us is MPG, which is only about 7-9 depending on wind, elevation etc. Towing is exceptionally better. The sway we had before is gone. Never know a 18 wheeler is there until it goes by most of the time. It really is personal choice between the two.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Inveterate Tinkerer

My thinking ran like this on the issue. Number one: I do not want to give up the room in the truck bed that we can use for odds and ends. Number two: I dont want to give up the approx 160 cu. feet of space that a 5er requires to clear the truck bed out of the given length of the tow. Number 3: 5ers are much taller...a lot more wind resistance from that extra 3 feet stickin up there. Number 4: If I properly equip with the right hitch, there will not be any stability or sway problems with a TT compared with a 5er...tow-ability will not be an issue. So, more room for a given length of TT vs. 5er.
All personal opinion, of course. This wasn't always the case in the past, IMO, but that has changed, with the advent of new designs in TT's and hitches. So, it's a TT for me.
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
Sir Guinness-(Manchester Terrier)
2012 Windjammer 3065W
Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
ProPride 3P
Iluv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Site Team

I just went thru this same thing last year, deciding on what I wanted/needed.

I wanted all the exterior storage that a fifth wheel has. I also wanted the interior storage and headroom of a 5ver too.

I needed a way to safely haul my motorcycle camping with me.

After looking at several rather expensive options to tow a small trailer behind the fifth wheel and adding a rack on the back of the trailer (which I have a fairly heavy bike), I knew it would worry me too much to go that route.

So my "needs" outweighed my "wants"......and I ended up with a travel trailer on back of the truck and my motorcycle in the truck.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Or I'd like to mount some Kayaks over the bed of truck. Lifting kayaks onto the top of a 5th wheel would be a pain.
Yep, that stopped me dead in my tracks.... and the fact that when I was shopping I was pulling with a Suburban.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #11

The wife and I didn't like the "steps up" to the bedroom and bathroom of a 5th wheel. We found the stairs all narrow and cramped. For reference, my wife is 5'8" and 120 lbs and she still thought they were cramped and small.

The only thing we found "bigger" in a 5th wheel was headroom.

That is essentially wasted space up there anyways, it does make it feel bigger though...

I didn't like the higher profile for clearances and wind resistance, nor the loss of bed space in the truck.

Punching holes in the bed of my rust free 98 Sierra didn't sit too well with me either....nope, not well at all....

I've never felt sway nor known a 18 wheeler was passing me. I bought a good hitch and set it up as per the manufacturers directions.

On top of all that, most 5th's were at least 10 grand more. Simply becuase "everyone wants a 5th wheel".....

Most 5th wheels do tend to be a little more "upscale" though. But you pay through the nose for it too.

Only real benefit I see to a 5th is slightly shorter overall vehicle length and a bit sharper/smaller turning radius. Not a big deal for me, I tow a couple hundred feet of airplane with two hitch pivot points around every day....

We went with a 2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831RLBSS and a Husky Centerline WD hitch with "active sway control".

The hitch cost about the same as a 5th wheel foot and I didn't have to punch holes in my bed or frame.

A 5th wheel does look a little bit easier to hook up. Although, a high mount camera has fixed that problem for me too. Now, hooking up single man is easy peasy. Drive up, stop when it's lined up and drop the tongue jack. Snap on the bars, chains and lights and we're off.

Do we like our TT?

Would we switch to a 5th wheel?

Nope.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #12

Question Questions about hitching up

What I've learn to use as a guide when hitching up a TT by myself is an obvious Center point that is often overlooked. That is the Middle BOLT that holds the TAILGATE Handle. You can see the bolts in the bed of truck. On my Silverado, it is DEAD CENTER and that is where BALL IS. That'll get me within 1" of the Trailer Hitch Every time. I just need to put a piece of tape where the center of RV is and walla.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anschreuder View Post
We have a 32" TT (flagstaff 831DBSS) and are considering going to a FithWheel camper of similar size. Is there any reason why I should not do that? The TV is not an issue in this discussion. Are there any cons about 5th wheelers that can be overlooked easily?
Besides all the other items listed, Storage (outside). We switched to a 5th wheel but you do give up a lot of outside storage compared to some of the TT's out there our Puma had twice the amount of storage that our new 5th does and you lose some of the truck bed space, partly solved this by going to a long bed. But boy the 5th pulls so much nicer than all of our TT's did and we had a four point sway control hitch.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
flc

About a year ago we went from a high quality 33' fifth wheel back to a travel trailer (a Flagstaff 831FLSS) and I have not regretted it at all. Many of the reasons already listed were why, but the most important two were getting back the use of my truck bed and avoiding the climb. I had travel trailers before and went to a 5'er about 4 years ago. I regretted it the entire time. It was a very nice trailer, just not for me. Now I get to carry all that stuff in the bed and two kayaks on top. The overall length is longer but the TT, set up with an equalizer hitch tows just as well and get 1.5 mpg better mileage. That's my choice.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #15

For me, maneuverability was a big issue. I have put on a ton of miles pulling, and could not imagine getting in and out of some of the places we have gone with the fifth wheel if we had a bumper-hitch camper instead. A 32-foot bumper hitch trailer needs a lot more room for turning etc than a 32-foot fifth.
As far as storage goes, our basement is huge, and there is lots of storage inside as well.
And I don't care what anyone says about having a proper hitch setup for the bumper-hitch, nothing pulls like a fifth wheel. Just hook up and go.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
Very nice looking setup!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #17

[QUOTE=RubenZ;115060]My Wife and I saw a few 5th's and love the layouts. However, they are a tad more expensive. But if money is not the issue what we didn't like is that most Campgrounds, the 5th wheel areas are kind of away from the fun because of their taller stance. With our shorter Trailers we can get into some nice shady campsites that feel more like camping instead of being packed like sardines in the back with other 5th wheels 10ft within your site.

100% i agree!!! we like being where the fun is too, and i did notice that that happens with the big fifth wheels... but then, some ppl like the more quiet spots...
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
And I don't care what anyone says about having a proper hitch setup for the bumper-hitch, nothing pulls like a fifth wheel. Just hook up and go.
In theory, they should pull the same. I mean really they your just changing the pull point. I've never really found an difference, but then again, I've towed goosneck trailers and not actual 5th Wheel RV Trailers.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #19

We've had our 5th wheel for 9 months and honestly haven't missed storing stuff in the truck bed. I can still get firewood, a bicycle or two , coolers, big potable water jug and my wood blocks for leveling in the bed with room for much more. Just have to make sure it clears the pin box while turning. My plate sits just below the bed side so as long as the level of "junk" isn't higher than that, it will clear. Sorry, but if you think you think a 36' /12,000 lb TT tows as well a 5th wheel you've obviously never towed a 5th wheel. With that said, the only thing that will dictate which you buy is your wallet, your wants and your TV. We found ourselves in a position where we could afford one, we had a TV that could pull one and we wanted a bigger RV. Our previous TT did everything we wanted it to at the time. The more we "got into" RVing we decided we wanted more. Our kids got older so we didn't need the ability to sleep 8 in a BH anymore, we started thinking about ourselves and what we needed/wanted after the kids were gone. The only rear complaint we had about our TT was after a few days of camping my wife and I both started feeling claustrophobic with the low ceilings and cramped living space. Yes there are much more spacious floor plans for TT than what we had. Can't recall which, but one of the Lacrosse models had rear entertainment with slides on both sides of the living room that was HUGE. We still got the Crusader because it felt roomier.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
In theory, they should pull the same. I mean really they your just changing the pull point. I've never really found an difference, but then again, I've towed goosneck trailers and not actual 5th Wheel RV Trailers.
You have to compare apples to apples. take a 35'/10,000lbs bumper pull vs 35'/10,000lbs 5th/gooseneck.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote