Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Update on my V-Lite

Hey folks! Have an update on my 2012 VLite. I had several issues or questions from our first maiden voyage where I had posted different threads and you all were very gracious in your replies. We just returned from our second maiden voyage and have been able to resolve some of the situations. The first issue was trailer stability when parked. Before we left I purchased a set of BAL X Chocks. This definately remedied the trailer from rocking forward/backward but did nothing for the bouncing. Now I'll go ahead and say this, I am a big boy. My wife is not however, while she walked around inside, our tower fan that is sitting on the floor, would almost turn over. I knew there had to be a solution. So when we made one of our trips to WallyWorld, I bought a set of Stacker Jacks and placed 2 underneath the cross frame on each side in front of the front tires. This eliminated at least 80% of the bounce! It won't be foundation solid, for it is what it is, a trailer. The next issue was the water pressure in the showerhead. Since we had full hookups, I was determined to use my shower. The first night, I was dissapointed in the new Oxygenics showerhead in the amount of water flow that was coming out. Not much better than the original head. My wife was next in taking hers, so I showed her how to raise and lower the flow by turning the fitting on the end of the hose connected to the fauset. After a few minutes, she began to call me into the bathroom. She said she was trying to turn up the water flow and inadvertantly totally unscrewed the hose from the fauset! I had to put everything back together so she could continue with her bath. I didn't tell her beforehand that I was dissapointed with the water pressure. After she came out, she said after she had fixed the showerhead the pressure was better. She also showed me a little white plastic piece that she had stepped on while in the shower. I recognized it immediatedly as the water pressure restrictor that was on the fauset where the hose connects. When she unscrewed the hose from the fauset, the water pressure blew this piece off allowing more water to come through! I tried before to take it off but was afraid I was going to break something, so I left it on. Oh well! The next issue was a wax/polish for the exterior. I decided to use Protect All on the gelcoat fiberglass. 12 hours and 3.5 16 oz botttles, I was through! I did everything; walls, windows, plastic trim, skirting, ladder, the metal tongue up front, rims, even the tires. It gave the tires a dull shine so I sprayed tire foam on to give them that shiney, wet look. Went through a small rain on the way to our destination and had a few bugs and some road grime on the exterior. A good wash with the water hose and everything came right off. The grunting and groaning I was getting from my previous friction sway control has been greatly reduced by a new one. Also by better greasing of the hitch points of the weight distribution bars helps with all the noise. By keeping my speed to 60 mph on the big roads, I got 10 mpg with my Ram 2500. When the big trucks would pass, yeah there was a little push/pull but nothing to worry about. Next toy is a tire pressure monitoring system!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote