Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Upgrading tires

We have a 2016 26RLWS. I would like to replace the tires before we take a long trip and have been reading about upgrading to D range tires. We currently have C range. I've read that the rim must be able to accommodate going from 50psi to 65 psi and that it should be stamped on the inside of the rim but I can't find anywhere on the rim a maximum psi rating. Can anyone speak to the 14" rim being able to upgrade from C range to D range? Thanks in advance!
dugwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

I assume you have a wheel distributed by Lionshead. The only 14 inch steel wheel that I see is rated to 1870 pounds. To me that doesn't sound like enough for a D load tire. Looks like you would want to change wheels as well. They don't cost much and you'd have a much better set-up in the end.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugwms View Post
We have a 2016 26RLWS. I would like to replace the tires before we take a long trip and have been reading about upgrading to D range tires. We currently have C range. I've read that the rim must be able to accommodate going from 50psi to 65 psi and that it should be stamped on the inside of the rim but I can't find anywhere on the rim a maximum psi rating. Can anyone speak to the 14" rim being able to upgrade from C range to D range? Thanks in advance!
Are you Sure your unit has "14" Rims" ? Most have "15" rims & tires! I am referring to the"26 RLWS"! Youroo! !
Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #4

Positive we have 14" rims. Unless someone put 14" tires on 15" rims... After further research, it appears that it's ok to run load range D as long as we use metal valve stems, which we were going to do for our TPMS sensors anyway. Thanks for the info!
dugwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

We have the 2015 Rockwood equivalent of your trailer. I have been running the Goodyear Endurance load range D at 65 psi for a year and half, about 10,00 miles, with no problems.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #6

I am in the same place on tires. Plan on going from c to d. I contacted Lionshead on the PSI issue and they replied that the wheels were ok but make sure the valve stems can handle the extra pressure. As far as the 1870 max load, the weight of the trailer hasn't changed so they should still be good. I want the extra margin of safety with the higher load range tires.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #7
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

I upgraded to D on the 15" Lionshead wheels. No problems. I asked about getting metal stems but was told by Discount Tires that they do not carry them, but do have others that are more rigid and nade for big boy tires, dunno.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #8
My First Toy Hauler

Probably a stupid question but; If you you upgrade your tires such as c's to d's do you run the pressure at what the tire recommends or what the camper data plate recommends?
Rednight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednight View Post
Probably a stupid question but; If you you upgrade your tires such as c's to d's do you run the pressure at what the tire recommends or what the camper data plate recommends?
I've heard the only stupid questions are those you don't ask. :-)

As far as tire pressure, I've also heard/learned that you should ALWAYS run what's on the tire as a recommendation from the tire manufacturer.

Hopefully WMTire can confirm or correct my understanding.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Everyone is looking to upgrade their tires (for good reason as the manufacturers only go for 'good enough'), but if the wheels are 'lightweights' as well, I don't see where you've gained anything. Even some of the 15 inch 5 hole wheels are only rated to 1870 pounds (as the Lionshead wheels are), but many other brands are rated to 2150 pounds or more. Then of course you have the axle weight rating to consider...……..
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #11

Look for the inflation/loading chart for the particular tire you intend to use. The chart will show how much weight the tire can carry, when inflated to a certain pressure.
Determine what the loaded TT weight will be. Divide that number by 4. Find that weight on the loading/inflation chart. It will have a psi listed for that weight. That will be the minimum tire inflation starting point for your trailer.
The manufacturer is telling you their tire will carry “x”, when inflated to “y”.
My E rated tires(I switched from C’s), will carry 2300lbs each, at 62psi. This is way above what my max TT weight will ever be.

The max cold inflation on the tire’s sidewall, tells you two things. The max cold inflation for that tire, and how much load the tire can carry at that psi. Just because it says you can inflate it to “x”, doesn’t mean you have to. Use the chart.
You have flexibility between what is listed as the psi for the weight you intend to carry, and whatever the max cold pressure is.
Address whatever concerns you may have, regarding compatibility between the new tire’s intended pressures, and any wheel and/or valve stem changes that may or may not be needed.
If it were me, and I had compatibility questions, I’d contact the wheel manufacturer and ask them.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #12

The problem as I see it with trying to 'fine tune' your tire pressures to 'just enough', is if you have not weighed each tire individually how do you know how much pressure to run? Just air them per sidewall, go camping.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
My First Toy Hauler

Thanks katkt for that useful information. For my Goodyear Endurance tires;
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyre.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	189818
First Toy Hauler USS Charleston LKA-113 1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Yes, what’s on tire.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
The problem as I see it with trying to 'fine tune' your tire pressures to 'just enough', is if you have not weighed each tire individually how do you know how much pressure to run? Just air them per sidewall, go camping.
I wish someone would explain to me why tire manufacturers go through the effort to come up with (and publish) recommended load inflation tables for each size/model of their tire, if all everyone was supposed to do is run the MAX inflation stamped on the side of the tire?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #16

5picker.....fair question. But unless we all knew what each tire was carrying (pounds) their fancy charts wouldn't be of much use. Besides, what are you trying to accomplish with specific tire pressure....a smooth ride or compensate for uneven tire wear? Seems like a bad bet to me unless you've weighed each tire.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
5picker.....fair question. But unless we all knew what each tire was carrying (pounds) their fancy charts wouldn't be of much use. Besides, what are you trying to accomplish with specific tire pressure....a smooth ride or compensate for uneven tire wear? Seems like a bad bet to me unless you've weighed each tire.
I'd think we'd be trying to accomplish a standard that the tire manufacturer specified for air pressure under a given load. I'm guessing they allow you to run the given pressure for a load without any hesitation in their minds there will be any issues with the tire. Otherwise, they'd do just as you suggest and specify to inflate to MAX. I'm also guessing they spent way more money and time testing and engineering that tire so it will be able to perform favorably under those given loads at a certain PSI.

I'll give you, that unless we know the given weight on each tire we couldn't be exact but with the information given to us by the R/V manufacturers we do have a guideline to go by. Most all rigs today have a yellow sticker with the weight from the factory. Granted, it is up to us to determine how much additional weight we put in them and so, every situation is going to be different.

So, to paint the broad brush and say, "just inflate to the MAX PSI on the sidewall" kind of "throws the baby out with the wash" by disregarding the advice of the tire manufacturer and basically says, "HA!...we know more about your tires than you do!"

Do we really know better than they?

Don't get me wrong... if someone has NO CLUE how much weight their rig is carrying, then MAX inflation might be the best advice. But then again... if someone has no clue, then there are a LOT of other parameters that can be questioned too... like do they even have the proper load range tire on the rig????

I'd hope knowledgeable R/V'ers are a more savvy bunch. Or at the very least, want to be.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
My First Toy Hauler

Good discussion, I have learned from this thread! I just got my Goodyear's installed and haven't even rolled them over yet. (Had to argue with them to get them balanced...) I'll probably start out with the max pressure but if they get to bouncing the bolts out of the spring shackles I am gonna get that chart out...

On a side note we all know that the air becomes heated as it passes through the air compressor. The small 12V compressors are the worst. They get really hot. So essentially we are all adjusting our tire pressures with hot air when we are out on the road. All this talk of raising and lowering tire pressures is going to be wasting a lot of air. I know here in the Midwest currently there is no shortage of hot air just a couple weeks before the mid-terms. But just to safe we should all monitor our hot air usage.... LOL
First Toy Hauler USS Charleston LKA-113 1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

How many here get each tire of their RV weighed each and every morning before they roll?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I wish someone would explain to me why tire manufacturers go through the effort to come up with (and publish) recommended load inflation tables for each size/model of their tire, if all everyone was supposed to do is run the MAX inflation stamped on the side of the tire?
Tire manufacturing is a collaboration between vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Vehicle manufacturers outline their needs and tire manufacturers build tires to fulfill those needs.

Vehicle manufacturers are the only ones responsible for Original Equipment tire fitments and the recommended cold inflation pressures for those fitments. Tire manufacturers produce tire limitation charts (load inflation charts & tables) for all tire sizes. They are normally in 5 PSI increments from lowest to highest. They are standardized and approved by numerous organizations. In the USA they are by the Tire & Rim association (TRA).

The primary users of tire inflation charts are vehicle manufacturers, and tire retailers. Vehicle manufacturers for setting the vehicle official recommended cold inflation pressures and retailers when setting recommended cold inflation pressures for plus sizing. Commercial vehicles use a different set of rules and methods.

The official correct inflation pressures for your vehicles is displayed on the tire placard, federal certification label and in the vehicle owner’s manual. Deviations from the correct pressures will be found in the vehicle owner’s manual. Optional inflation pressures start at the recommended and end at the tire maximum found on the tire sidewall. If the vehicle manufacturer has used the tire maximum as the recommended cold inflation pressure there is no option.

So, why would a vehicle owner be concerned with tire pressure deviations? Maybe someone told the owner to set the vehicle tire pressures to the load carried. That’s from the commercial standards and not applicable to any privately owned vehicle manufactured under the guidance of FMVSS. You have commercial tires? Doesn’t make a difference. They were installed and inflated from FMVSS.

You got some plus sized tires and are doing the fitments yourself? Yup, you need a chart. The industry standard for replacements is for them to provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided, via inflation. Once you have qualified the new tire size to the wheel and vehicle, you need to establish its cold inflation pressure. To take advantage of the new tires excess load capacity, you may need more/less psi than depicted on the vehicle tire labeling. A good starting point would be for the tires to provide 10-15% of load capacity above the GAWR of the axle it’s going to be fitted to. Documentation of the changes are recommended.

Tags
tire, tires