Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

Water Filter

This morning I noticed a wet carpet along the floor, along the boxed in area on the side of the bed, which the water heater is behind in the storage area . Worried that it was the water heater leaking, I begin investigating; after removing the paneling protection surrounding the water heater, what did I find? An in line water filter,I did not know was there. Short story long, the main water hose feeding into the filter had a small leak. I installed another hose clamp, leak fixed. To get to my question, am I the only owner of a 2019 Flagstaff micro mini lite 21FBRS that was unaware of an inline water filter located in the storage basement?
I'm afraid I already know the answer.[emoji2357]
Old 02-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
WFD

Do yourself a favour, and remove that filter completely. There is no shortage of horror stories of people having failed filters causing damage. Yours is different in that it was the hose, but in most cases it's the filter itself. Canister cracks or gets loose, some have had it fall right off and then there is large amount of water quickly. On 2 trailers now, that was the first mod I did, removed and bypassed them completely and went with an outside water filter.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
Canadian Member

Travelling circus, you’re not the only one. Those who didn’t know about the filter housing weren’t told by the dealer or previous owner.

Was there a filter in the housing that’s been there since you bought the trailer?!

While I agree with WFD to remove it, I have a different reason. The hidden location is probably very difficult to get to in order to change the filter. I would not use water from an untrusted source without it going through a good quality filter first.

On my last TT and our current 5er, I removed the filter housing and used a PVC union to join the two male fittings together. I use a whole house filter outside that I have a simple Camco filter housing stand for. Here’s a picture of it when we had our previous TT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9441E75D-A421-4861-BB18-BA88EFE77689.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	268801

We only camp around 30 nights per year (weekends and occasional one week trips) so I put a new filter in every Spring. I remove it from the housing to dry out after each trip to avoid something growing on the filter.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Do yourself a favour, and remove that filter completely. There is no shortage of horror stories of people having failed filters causing damage. Yours is different in that it was the hose, but in most cases it's the filter itself. Canister cracks or gets loose, some have had it fall right off and then there is large amount of water quickly. On 2 trailers now, that was the first mod I did, removed and bypassed them completely and went with an outside water filter.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Travelling circus, you’re not the only one. Those who didn’t know about the filter housing weren’t told by the dealer or previous owner.

Was there a filter in the housing that’s been there since you bought the trailer?!

While I agree with WFD to remove it, I have a different reason. The hidden location is probably very difficult to get to in order to change the filter. I would not use water from an untrusted source without it going through a good quality filter first.

On my last TT and our current 5er, I removed the filter housing and used a PVC union to join the two male fittings together. I use a whole house filter outside that I have a simple Camco filter housing stand for. Here’s a picture of it when we had our previous TT.

Attachment 268801

We only camp around 30 nights per year (weekends and occasional one week trips) so I put a new filter in every Spring. I remove it from the housing to dry out after each trip to avoid something growing on the filter.
We purchased this camper new. It wasn't mention during the walk thru. Most of these type filters are installed inside under the kitchen sink. I've always used an external filter, plus a water pressure regulator. I'm planning on doing modifications to protection around the hot water heater for easier, simpler access to the filter. I live in Florida, I don't have to be over concerned with cold enough temps to damage the plastic casing.

Tags
water, water filter