Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Why not go ahead and list them....

ProPride positives:

No need to drill holes in the frame
Adjustable shank- no need to spend $$$ sending in old shank for exchange every time you change truck or trailer(unless new one is exact same height as old)
No fading orange paint after a few months use
Larger stinger receiver for easier hitching process
Less Expensive
Fewer parts- no need for an "emergency kit" like you need with spare parts for the Hensley

Hensley positives:

Lighter weight- less material on the shank primarily because it is non-adjustable
No issue with WD jacks torquing over under load. I made some backing plates that cured this- I understand ProPride offers some as well.

I'm open to hearing others- these are the primary differences I've discovered through my research and use of the PP. Keep in mind that Jim Hensley designed the Hensley hitch AND the ProPride hitch- the ProPride being the design that he considered an upgrade that addressed shortfalls of the original. Both are great hitches and do what they claim- one just happens to be cheaper and does it in a more user friendly way, IMHO.
I owned a Flagstaff 23lb for 2 years and I pulled it with a Hensley hitch!

The one thing you did not mention in your list is the fact that Hensley offers a "CUB" hitch that is made specifically for smaller trailers. I speak from experience with the exact setup that the OP is asking about.

The Hensley cub is a great hitch for this trailer and is cheaper than the propride!
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
There was nothing rude or hostile in my post!

If the moderators have a problem with my post, I am sure they are capable of letting me know!

I owned a Flagstaff 23lb for 2 years and I pulled it with a Hensley hitch!

The one thing you did not mention in your list is the fact that Hensley offers a "CUB" hitch that is made specifically for smaller trailers. I speak from experience with the exact setup that the OP is asking about.

The Hensley cub is a great hitch for this trailer and is cheaper than the propride!
It is true that Hensley offers the Cub. I think the ProPride still offers many benefits, but if the price is better, it might be worth considering the Cub. As far as what I took offense to:
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That hitch doesn't include the shank, which you will need.

What trailer do you have? WD hitches aren't a "bigger is better" proposition. If you oversize your hitch it will cause jarring and won't distribute the weight smoothly like it should.
Thanks, we are purchasing a Roo 21SS. Tongue weight is almost 650 lb, then I've been told to add batteries and full propane tanks, plus whatever we pile in the back of the truck. So I'm estimating around 1000 lb max.

My dealer will install a Husky Centerline TS for $499. What he didn't state was which model. But I assume I would need the heavist one they list at tongue weight of 800-1200 lb. But they all seem to cost the same, $429 according to the catalog.

We've never installed a WDH ourselves, and my husband doesn't want to take this on, so I would either have to go with the Husky, or have someone install the Equal-i-zer for us. The Husky option seems easiest and cheapest. Anyone have any compeling reasons why we shouldn't go that route?
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #44

You should go with what every feels more comfortable to you. Everyone has there own opinion on what is best. It is your money that is being spent and not theirs.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #45
Canadian Member

I'll be ordering a 12K Equal-i-zer shortly from RV Wholesalers. I'll have to have a dealer or somebody with a torque wrench capable of 430 ft-lbs install the ball on the hitch head but I can do everything else with my own tools.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
II'll have to have a dealer or somebody with a torque wrench capable of 430 ft-lbs install the ball on the hitch head but I can do everything else with my own tools.
I took my new Equalizer 12k hitch to the local RV dealer. I bought the 12K ball there and they agreed to put it on my hitch for me since I don't have the large thin walled socket nor any means to generate/measure 430 ft-lbs of torque.

The service guy came out with a battery powered impact wrench and just ran it until it stopped. He said basically once you flatten the washer, that's all you are going to get. I was hoping he was going to use a calibrated monster torque wrench but to be honest, I kind of figured they would just brute force it like they did.
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I took my new Equalizer 12k hitch to the local RV dealer. I bought the 12K ball there and they agreed to put it on my hitch for me since I don't have the large thin walled socket nor any means to generate/measure 430 ft-lbs of torque.

The service guy came out with a battery powered impact wrench and just ran it until it stopped. He said basically once you flatten the washer, that's all you are going to get. I was hoping he was going to use a calibrated monster torque wrench but to be honest, I kind of figured they would just brute force it like they did.
Turn it sideways in the receiver and put a pipe wrench between the ball and the shoulder and stand on the wrench.

BTW, the tech is/was full of beans, just flattening the lockwasher will not preload the shank as it is supposed to be.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Turn it sideways in the receiver and put a pipe wrench between the ball and the shoulder and stand on the wrench.

BTW, the tech is/was full of beans, just flattening the lockwasher will not preload the shank as it is supposed to be.

+1

And if you know any farmers around, many of them will have large sockets for working on equipment. Or anyone with a dozer or any other heavy machinery. I would think they'd be willing to loan you a socket and ratchet for a few minutes while you torque it there in front of them. 200 pounds at just over 2' from the socket will get you where you need to be.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #49

Tmh, that is what the dealer did with mine too and it was loose after the 30 mile ride home. I did the sideways method with a 40 inch breaker bar. Put the full weight of my 150 lbs 3 feet from the ball and got 450lbs on it. That was back in 2010 and no problems since.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #50

Always check your equalizer bolts before a trip. They loosen up a lot. Having to constantly check the hitch. A small issue but I check it along with the lug nuts.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #51
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

My Andersen was so much easier and pulled like a dream. No noise, no sway, and a very easy setup.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #52

Blue ox here! So nice and quiet compaired to my last equilizer.
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Glad I found this thread. Can I add my question as well? I read that Equal-i-zer hitches are pretty popular. Going on the Equal-i-zer website, I see this model rated for 1k/10k for $765.
E-trailers has a model for $465 rated for 1.4k/14k. What am I missing?
I purchased my Equalizer 1200lb from Dyers online for $484. They had free shipping and arrived 4 days later.
Gage30Holt15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight