Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Norma in Maryland

What generator to buy?

We recently purchased a Flagstaff fifth wheeler 2013 8528BHWS. I just love the two bedrooms and 1.5 baths. Perfect for our older children. My husband says we need to get a generator to power it when we stay where there is no power source. I want to power everything. I am into Glamping. Recommendations? and how do I keep it secure?

Norma in Maryland
crickenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Professional Texan

I have a two Honda's an EU2000i and a EU2000i companion. I run a 15,000 BTU AC unit. They produce a clean sine wave so the TV's and computers run well. I do run my Water Heater on propane when I'm on the generators.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Professional Texan

I'm surprised other have not given their opinion. You you can get one generator that will run everything in you trailer. I chose to get two and connect them together because they only weigh 50 pounds a piece and are easy to handle. A bigger single generator can be hard to handle.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Site Team

just remember, nearly all campgrounds have limited generator hours.
that said, a lot depends on if you want to use the a/c and whether you have two a/c's and what size btu are they.

most likely, you'll need 3500-4000 watts of power. i highly recommend two Honda or Yamaha 2000w inverter generators paralleled.
that way if you don't need a/c, you only need to use one 50lb. one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just remember, nearly all campgrounds have limited generator hours.
that said, a lot depends on if you want to use the a/c and whether you have two a/c's and what size btu are they.

most likely, you'll need 3500-4000 watts of power. i highly recommend two Honda or Yamaha 2000w inverter generators paralleled.
that way if you don't need a/c, you only need to use one 50lb. one.
X2 X2 X2

All covered here. Later

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Norma in Maryland

Cool

I can't figure out the number of BTUs on this model of Flagstaff. There is nothing in the literature at all that I can find. Actually the literature on this RV is terrible. After 2 months we still haven't gotten TV reception except in the dealer's shop and can't get the DVD to work on any tv but the one in the entertainment area.

Is the BTU count affected by other things? Is it cumulative? I had them install an electric fireplace in the entertainment area for extra heat in the colder months as I expect to be abandoned during hunting season and didn't want to freeze also. Although the fireplace should not operate during times when the A/C is on I never fail to be impressed by human stupidity including my own.

Norma in Maryland
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Flagstaff 8528BHWS.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	36111  
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickenwood View Post
I can't figure out the number of BTUs on this model of Flagstaff. There is nothing in the literature at all that I can find. Actually the literature on this RV is terrible. After 2 months we still haven't gotten TV reception except in the dealer's shop and can't get the DVD to work on any tv but the one in the entertainment area.

Is the BTU count affected by other things? Is it cumulative? I had them install an electric fireplace in the entertainment area for extra heat in the colder months as I expect to be abandoned during hunting season and didn't want to freeze also. Although the fireplace should not operate during times when the A/C is on I never fail to be impressed by human stupidity including my own.

Norma in Maryland
So Norma, tell us more about your trailer, make model etc. There are probably owners of the same trailer on this site that could help you but they need to know exactly what you have.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Norma in Maryland

I have a 2013 Flagstaff 8528BHWS (still haven't figured out what the "85" and the "WS" mean in the model number) It has an electric fireplace added to it and is the Platinum version.

Norma in Maryland
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickenwood View Post
I have a 2013 Flagstaff 8528BHWS (still haven't figured out what the "85" and the "WS" mean in the model number) It has an electric fireplace added to it and is the Platinum version.

Norma in Maryland
WS should be wide slide. Not sure about 85.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

8' 5" or 101" wide "85"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

Very happy with my electric start Yamaha power boost 3500. Runs everything except microwave and A/C together. It wieghs #140 but is on four wheels and is easy to handle. I made a diamond plate mount with tie downs just inside my ramp door. I can easily move it up and down the ramp when I use it. Would have mounted it on the accesory ramp on the hitch but nearing max hitch weight with spare mounted under hitch.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Site Team

your invoice should state which a/c it came with, unless you bought used.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #13

My wife and I also glamp with our Flagstaff 27RLWS. We tried dry camping for the first time on a beach in MA. I brought along our Champion 3500 that is our emergency home generator and although it diid the job, it was noisy! We meet an number of people at the campground and the Honda, that was recommmended in earlier replies, is the way to go. We would have to walk right up to the unit to hear if it was actuallly running.

The second consideration is the total amount of draw that you will be using at any one time. Coffee makers, like my Kurig, draw an incredible amount of juice. Anything that generates heat, like hairdryers and vaccum cleaners are hogs. look at the appliances that you think that you will be running simultaneously and add up the total power needed. That should give you a starting point.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Very happy with my electric start Yamaha power boost 3500. Runs everything except microwave and A/C together. It wieghs #140 but is on four wheels and is easy to handle. I made a diamond plate mount with tie downs just inside my ramp door. I can easily move it up and down the ramp when I use it. Would have mounted it on the accesory ramp on the hitch but nearing max hitch weight with spare mounted under hitch.

Jack
I don't think they have a ramp, they need an engine lift to put it in their truck, or something similar. I vote for the 2K honda or Yamaha's Champion makes stacking unit that are pretty quiet also, as has been posted here.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #15

If you want to run the a/c I would recommend as others above two 2000 generators to be coupled. Easier to carry/handle. Brandwise either Honda or Yamaha. And bare in mind with a/c running no microwave!!
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #16

Just FYI for interested readers.
Honda Quiet Generators - RV Inverter Generator WiseSales.com
Includes information video.

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote